We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Collingwood College

Pastoral Support

We have excellent support arrangements at Collingwood to help people through even the toughest times. From your very first day here – when you will be welcomed by a fifty-strong team of Fresher Reps – you will be well looked after!

The JCR have a student Welfare Committee, headed by the Senior Welfare Officer who is elected by the student body. The Welfare Committee run regular drop-in sessions where you can go to talk to somebody in confidence, about anything – such as homesickness, friendship troubles, relationships, sexual health etc. – or just drop in for a chat and cup of tea! The Welfare Officers will assist you by signposting the relevant member of staff at Collingwood who can help you further.

The Student Support Officers and Assistant Principal and Senior Tutor are able to help you with any concern that negatively affects your ability to maintain your academic commitments. The Student Support Team is there to confidentially listen to your concerns and to point you in the right direction. For academic problems the Student Support Team can liaise with your department to put in place concessions for absences, examinations, and essays. Concessions can also be authorised in conjunction with the Durham Counselling Services ( and Durham Disability Support (, a body which can help students who have many issues ranging from dyslexia, depression, and physical disabilities. In regards to financial problems, the Student Support Team can offer further information regarding possible sources of financial assistance.

You are welcome to talk to the Student Support Officers or the Assistant Principal and Senior Tutor about any issue highlighted above.

We also have a dedicated email account for Student Support. The email address is

For a quick reference to what you should do in any situation, please follow this link or click on the “What to do if…” subpage to the left. Alternatively, this information can be downloaded in pdf form here.