Outreach and Summer placements
The Centre for Materials Physics supports the Durham University Science Outreach scheme. Details are given below
Durham University Science Outreach
Get Involved - Be Part of the Future of Science Today!
The Durham University Science Outreach team provides inspirational, fun, hands-on science activities for schools and colleges throughout the North East. We aim to stimulate an interest in science and an understanding of how science is used in the modern world.
We need enthusiastic postgraduate students to volunteer to work with us in schools and in the wider community.
- Develop their communication and presentation skills in science
- Have an interesting and exciting change from their normal work
- Are a positive role model for future scientists
- Encourage enthusiastic individuals into science as a career
- Become aware of developments in school science
- Raise the profile of science in schools
- Share skills with teachers and young people
- Communicate the importance of science in the modern world
- Inspire confidence in science teaching and learning
- Are ambassadors for their science
- Show that science can be fun!
We want you to join us. Whether it's for a one-off drop in session in a school science club or a year long placement, we can use your skills. Full training is given and all expenses are paid. You'll find more information about what we do on our website (http://www.dur.ac.uk/science.outreach/) and if you have any queries or would like to get involved please contact the address on the right or email:
You can approach any member of staff in CMP with your request: www.durham.ac.uk/cmp/members
Make sure that it includes:
- Your CV with examination results to date.
- a copy of the applications forms (possibly with your part filled out)
- relevant web-links
- an outline of when you are available.
Summer Placement Links
PJCC - Physics Joint Consultative Committee, Oxford University - list of summer placement opportunities.
CERN - European Organisation for Nuclear Research - Summer School opportunities in a range of scientific and engineering disciplines.
Nuffield - Foundation offering bursaries for summer science research projects.