Vision Statement: Materials Physics is one of the largest, most diverse and dynamic fields in modern physics, encompassing all aspects of the solid and liquids states of matter. This breadth is reflected in the research undertaken at Durham which spans a wide range of subjects from light emitting polymers and solar cell materials to nanoscale magnetics. Our work aims to push forward the forefront of our understanding in the physics of materials using experiment, theory and computation.
CMP Research Highlight
Centre for Materials Physics
The Centre for Materials Physics encompasses several research groups, covering a wide range of theoretical and experimental physics. These are divided into three main research themes:
Durham has a long tradition of welcoming excellent students from all over the world. If you are thinking of applying to Durham University, of course you should look through these web pages at the research and training (and in particular our Ph.D Booklet and Ph.D handbook), but also try to speak with some of our alumni, they are our greatest ambassadors.
There are no seminars for the dates selected.
- Kakazei, G. N., Guslienko, K. Y., Verba, R. V., Ding, J., Liu, X. M. & Adeyeye, A. O. (2020). Non-uniform along thickness spin excitations in magnetic vortex-state nanodots. Low Temperature Physics 46(8): 863.
- Busuioc, Sergiu, Kusumaatmaja, H. & Ambruş, Victor E. (2020). Axisymmetric flows on the torus geometry. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 901: A9.
- Cao, Yunyi, Jana, Saikat, Bowen, Leon, Liu, Hongzhong, Jakubovics, Nicholas S. & Chen, Jinju (2020). Bacterial nanotubes mediate bacterial growth on periodic nano-pillars. Soft Matter 16(32): 7613-7623.
- Opherden, D., Nizar, N., Richardson, K., Monroe, J. C., Turnbull, M. M., Polson, M., Vela, S., Blackmore, W. J. A., Goddard, P. A., Singleton, J., Choi, E. S., Xiao, F., Williams, R. C., Lancaster, T., Pratt, F. L., Blundell, S. J., Skourski, Y., Uhlarz, M., Ponomaryov, A. N., Zvyagin, S. A., Wosnitza, J., Baenitz, M., Heinmaa, I., Stern, R., Kühne, H. & Landee, C. P. (2020). Extremely well isolated two-dimensional spin-1/2 antiferromagnetic Heisenberg layers with a small exchange coupling in the molecular-based magnet CuPOF. Physical Review B 102(6): 064431.
- Abbas, Qaisar, Mirzaeian, Mojtaba & Hunt, Michael. R.C. (2020). Materials for Sodium-Ion Batteries. In Reference Module in Materials Science and Materials Engineering.
- Baines, Tom, Bowen, Leon, Mendis, Budhika G. & Major, Jonathan D. (2020). Microscopic Analysis of Interdiffusion and Void Formation in CdTe(1–x)Sex and CdTe Layers. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 12(34): 38070-38075.
- Swindells, C., Nicholson, B., Inyang, O., Choi, Y., Hase, T. & Atkinson, D. (2020). Proximity-induced magnetism in Pt layered with rare-earth–transition-metal ferrimagnetic alloys. Physical Review Research 2(3): 033280.
- Rodrigues, Ana I., Krishnamoorthy, Paramasivam, Gomes, Clara S. B., Carmona, Nicolas, Di Paolo, Roberto E., Pander, Piotr, Pina, João, Sérgio Seixas de Melo, J., Dias, Fernando B., Calhorda, Maria José, Maçanita, António L., Morgado, Jorge & Gomes, Pedro T. (2020). Luminescent halogen-substituted 2-(N-arylimino)pyrrolyl boron complexes: the internal heavy-atom effect. Dalton Transactions 49(29): 10185-10202.
- Law, Jack O., Dean, Jacob M., Miller, Mark A. & Kusumaatmaja, Halim (2020). Phase transitions on non-uniformly curved surfaces: Coupling between phase and location. Soft Matter 16(34): 8069-8077.
- Al‐Attar, Hameed, Alwattar, Aula A., Haddad, Athir, Abdullah, Bassil A., Quayle, Peter & Yeates, Stephen G. (2020). Polylactide‐perylene derivative for blue biodegradable organic light‐emitting diodes. Polymer International