Vision Statement: Materials Physics is one of the largest, most diverse and dynamic fields in modern physics, encompassing all aspects of the solid and liquids states of matter. This breadth is reflected in the research undertaken at Durham which spans a wide range of subjects from light emitting polymers and solar cell materials to nanoscale magnetics. Our work aims to push forward the forefront of our understanding in the physics of materials using experiment, theory and computation.
CMP Research Highlight
Latest insights into developments in the thermally-activated delayed fluorescence field by researchers in OEM
In this review paper Paloma Lays dos Santos, Marc Etherington and Andy Monkman describe how thermally-activated delayed fluorescence can be tuned and controlled by chemical and conformational means; paving the way to new design principles.
(26 Apr 2018) » More about New review paper by OEM group
Centre for Materials Physics
The Centre for Materials Physics encompasses several research groups, covering a wide range of theoretical and experimental physics. These are divided into three main research themes:
Durham has a long tradition of welcoming excellent students from all over the world. If you are thinking of applying to Durham University, of course you should look through these web pages at the research and training (and in particular our Ph.D Booklet and Ph.D handbook), but also try to speak with some of our alumni, they are our greatest ambassadors.
There are no seminars for the dates selected.
- Pedretti, Ettore, Tanner, Michael G., Choudhary, Tushar R., Krstajić, Nikola, Megia-Fernandez, Alicia, Henderson, Robert K., Bradley, Mark, Thomson, Robert R., Girkin, John M., Dhaliwal, Kevin & Dalgarno, Paul A. (2019). High-speed dual color fluorescence lifetime endomicroscopy for highly-multiplexed pulmonary diagnostic applications and detection of labeled bacteria. Biomedical Optics Express 10(1): 181-195.
- Wilson, Calum, Lee, Matthew D., Heathcote, Helen, Zhang, Xun, Buckley, Charlotte, Girkin, John M., Saunter, Christopher D. & McCarron, John G. (2018). Mitochondrial ATP production provides long-range control of endothelial inositol trisphosphate–evoked calcium signaling. Journal of Biological Chemistry jbc.RA118.005913.
- Gala de Pablo, Julia, Chisholm, David R., Steffen, Andreas, Nelson, Amanda K., Mahler, Christoph, Marder, Todd B., Peyman, Sally A., Girkin, John M., Ambler, Carrie A., Whiting, Andrew & Evans, Stephen D. (2018). Tandem fluorescence and Raman (fluoRaman) characterisation of a novel photosensitiser in colorectal cancer cell line SW480. The Analyst 143(24): 6113-6120.
- Barlow, Nathan E., Kusumaatmaja, Halim, Salehi-Reyhani, Ali, Brooks, Nick, Barter, Laura M. C., Flemming, Anthony J. & Ces, Oscar (2018). Measuring bilayer surface energy and curvature in asymmetric droplet interface bilayers. Journal of The Royal Society Interface 15(148): 20180610.
- Cortés-Ortuño, David, Beg, Marijan, Nehruji, Vanessa, Breth, Leoni, Pepper, Ryan, Kluyver, Thomas, Downing, Gary, Hesjedal, Thorsten, Hatton, Peter, Lancaster, Tom, Hertel, Riccardo, Hovorka, Ondrej & Fangohr, Hans (2018). Proposal for a micromagnetic standard problem for materials with Dzyaloshinskii–Moriya interaction. New Journal of Physics 20(11): 113015.