Condensed Matter Physics
Turning on the heat with spins and their transport across interfaces in heterostructures
28 March 2023 13:00 in Ph30 (with refreshments in Ph132 afterwards)
Hari Srikanth, Ph.D.Distinguished University Professor
Group Leader -Functional Materials Laboratory
2022 Humboldt Research Awardee
2019 Fulbright Scholar
2019 IEEE Magnetics Society Distinguished Lecturer
Fellow –American Physical Society
Fellow -Institute of Physics
Senior Member -IEEE
Member, Nanomagnetics Technical Committee, IEEE Nanotechnology Council
Please note this lecture is on Tuesday 28th March, instead of our normal Wednesdays
Contact email@example.com for more information
EPSRC National Fellowship in Fluid Dynamics awarded to Dr Abhinav Naga
Dr Abhinav Naga has been awarded a National Fellowship in Fluid Dynamics, funded by the EPSRC for a period of 3 years. His project, titled "Unravelling the Mechanisms of Self-Cleaning on Superhydrophobic and Liquid-Infused Surfaces", combines both experiments and modeling, and involves collaborations with the Universities of Cambridge and Edinburgh.
(6 Feb 2023) » More about EPSRC National Fellowship in Fluid Dynamics awarded to Dr Abhinav Naga
The Living Shoe: Utilising microbes to create living materials, a new design principle for conferring structure and motility in biohybrid systems.
Dr Margarita Staykova from the Centre for Materials Physics has teamed up with Durham University sociologist Professor Tiago Moreira to discover some of the science and ethics of using microbes to create materials. Living materials are fabrics, paints and even building materials made with living cells. Would you wear a living shoe that you never had to throw away? Imagine a future where roads can self-heal, tiny robotic molecules can assemble themselves into household objects, and living buildings can harvest carbon dioxide to generate power and purified water. Would we be able to control how the cells evolved? Or, would we have to form symbiotic relationships with living materials similar to the relationships we had with working animals in the past?
(1 Nov 2022) » More about The Living Shoe: Utilising microbes to create living materials, a new design principle for conferring structure and motility in biohybrid systems.
Durham research highlighted by U.S. Department of Energy’s Advanced Photon Source (APS) at Argonne National Laboratory
Collaborative international research on spin transport aimed at energy efficient spintronics led by Condensed Matter Physics at Durham has been recognised as a Science Highlight for work involving X-ray experiments at the Advanced Photon Source synchrotron facility.
(23 Jun 2022) » More about Durham research highlighted by U.S. Department of Energy’s Advanced Photon Source (APS) at Argonne National Laboratory
- Opherden, D., Tepaske, M. S. J., Bärtl, F., Weber, M., Turnbull, M. M., Lancaster, T., Blundell, S. J., Baenitz, M., Wosnitza, J., Landee, C. P., Moessner, R., Luitz, D. J. & Kühne, H. (2023). Field-Tunable Berezinskii-Kosterlitz-Thouless Correlations in a Heisenberg Magnet. Physical Review Letters 130(8).
- Goldie, Stuart J., Degiacomi, Matteo T., Jiang, Shan, Clark, Stewart J., Erastova, Valentina & Coleman, Karl S. (2022). Identification of Graphene Dispersion Agents through Molecular Fingerprints. ACS Nano 16(10): 16109.
- Darvishi, Neda & Masouminia, M.R. (2022). Electroweak radiative corrections in precision LHC measurements of W±/Z0+jets. Nuclear Physics B 985(2022): 116025.
- Aufderhorst-Roberts, Anders & Staykova, Margarita (2022). Scratching beyond the surface — minimal actin assemblies as tools to elucidate mechanical reinforcement and shape change. Emerging Topics in Life Sciences 6(6): 583-592.
- Mendis, B.G. (2023). Coherent electron Compton scattering and the non-diagonal electron momentum density of solids. Ultramicroscopy 245: 113664.
- Tan, Zhengwei, Martins, Sofia, Escobar, Michael, de Rojas, Julius, Ibrahim, Fatima, Chshiev, Mairbek, Quintana, Alberto, Lopeandia, Aitor, Costa-Krämer, José L., Menéndez, Enric & Sort, Jordi (2022). From Binary to Ternary Transition-Metal Nitrides: A Boost toward Nitrogen Magneto-Ionics. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 14(39): 44581-44590.
- Kariuki, Rashad, Penman, Rowan, Bryant, Saffron J., Orrell-Trigg, Rebecca, Meftahi, Nastaran, Crawford, Russell J., McConville, Chris F., Bryant, Gary, Voïtchovsky, Kislon, Conn, Charlotte E., Christofferson, Andrew J. & Elbourne, Aaron (2022). Behavior of Citrate-Capped Ultrasmall Gold Nanoparticles on a Supported Lipid Bilayer Interface at Atomic Resolution. ACS Nano 16(10): 17179-17196.
- Turnbull, L. A., Littlehales, M. T., Wilson, M. N., Birch, M. T., Popescu, H., Jaouen, N., Verezhak, J. A. T., Balakrishnan, G. & Hatton, P. D. (2022). X-ray holographic imaging of magnetic surface spirals in FeGe lamellae. Physical Review B 106(6): 064422.
- Rigby, O. M., Richards-Hlabangana, T., Ramasse, Q. M., MacLaren, I., Lomas-Zapata, R. A., Rumsey, M. S., McKenna, K. P. & Mendis, B. G. (2022). Structure and electronic properties of domain walls and stacking fault defects in prospective photoferroic materials bournonite and enargite. Journal of Applied Physics 132(18): 185001.
- Twitchett-Harrison, Alison C., Loudon, James C., Pepper, Ryan A., Birch, Max T., Fangohr, Hans, Midgley, Paul A., Balakrishnan, Geetha & Hatton, Peter D. (2022). Confinement of Skyrmions in Nanoscale FeGe Device-like Structures. ACS Applied Electronic Materials 4(9): 4427 - 4437.