Dr Peter Heslin, Ph.D.
My general areas of research lie in Latin poetry and its reception, Roman painting and topography, and digital humanities. Much of my work can be seen as linked by the theme of the cultural history of Roman reappropriations of Greek myth. This interest began with my first book, The Transvestite Achilles: Gender and Genre in the Achilleid of Statius (Cambridge University Press, 2005). It has continued with my second monograph,The Museum of Augustus: The Temple of Apollo in Pompeii, the Portico of Philippus and Roman Poetry (J. Paul Getty Museum, forthcoming), which is a study of the connections between representations of the Trojan War in Pompeiian wall painting and Latin poetry. My current book project has to do with the paradoxical uses of Greek myth as rhetorical exempla in the poetry of Propertius (Oxford University Press, under contract). I am also the developer of Diogenes, a widely used open-source software application for working with databases of Greek and Latin texts: it can be downloaded from my home page.
My work on Pompeian painting brought me in 2010 to the J. Paul Getty Villa in Los Angeles as a Getty Scholar. In 2012, I was invited spend two quarters as the inaugural Joan Palevsky Visiting Professor of Classics at the University of California at Los Angeles.
My research has also been supported by grants from the Center for Hellenic Studies and the Loeb Classical Library Foundation.
- Latin poetry
- Reception of Latin poetry
- Roman painting
- Humanities computing
- Heslin, Peter (2015). The Museum of Augustus The Temple of Apollo in Pompeii, The Portico of Philippus in Rome, and Latin Poetry. Los Angeles: Getty Publications.
- Heslin, P.J. (2005). The Transvestite Achilles: Gender and Genre in Statius' Achilleid. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Chapter in book
- Heslin, Peter (2016). The Dream of a Universal Variorum: Digitizing the Commentary Tradition. In Classical Commentaries: Explorations in a Scholarly Genre. Kraus, Christina S. & Stray, Christopher Oxford: Oxford University Press. 494-511.
- Heslin, P. J. (2008). Statius and the Greek Tragedians on Athens, Thebes and Rome. In The Poetry of Statius. J. J. L. Smolenaars, H.-J. Van Dam & R. R. Nauta Leiden: Brill. 111-128.
- Heslin, Peter (2011). Metapoetic Pseudonyms in Horace, Propertius and Ovid. Journal of Roman Studies 101: 51-72.
- Heslin, Peter (2011). The Augustus Code: a response to L. Haselberger. Journal of Roman Archaeology 24: 74-77.
- Heslin, Peter (2010). Virgil’s Georgics and the Dating of Propertius’ First Book. Journal of Roman Studies 100: 54-68.
- Heslin, Peter J. (2007). Augustus, Domitian, and the So-called Horologium Augusti. Journal of Roman Studies 97: 1-20.
- Heslin, P.J. (2006). Review of A. J. Kleywegt, Valerius Flaccus, Argonautica, Book I. A Commentary. Classical Review 56: 364-367.
- Heslin, P. J. (2006). Review of the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae, third electronic edition. Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2006.02.19.
- Heslin, P.J. (2001). Review of the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae, CD ROM Disk E. Bryn Mawr Classical Review
- Heslin, P.J. (1998). Review of David R. Slavitt (translator), Broken Columns: Two Roman Epic Fragments: The Achilleid of Publius Papinius Statius and The Rape of Proserpine of Claudius Claudianus. Bryn Mawr Classical Review 1998.11.16.
- Heslin, P. J. (1997). The scansion of Pharsalia (Catullus 64.37; Achilleid 1.152; Calpurnius Siculus 4.101). Classical Quarterly 47: 588-93.
- Heslin, Peter (2011). Review of J. S. Burgess, The Death and Afterlife of Achilles. The Classical Review 61(02): 356-357.
- Heslin, P. (2010). Review of A. M. Keith, Propertius: Poet of Love and Leisure. Journal of Roman Studies 100: 291-292.
- Heslin, P. J. (2008). Review of McNelis, C., Statius' Thebaid and the Poetics of Civil War and Ganiban, R. T., Statius and Virgil: The Thebaid and the Reinterpretation of the Aeneid. Journal of Roman Studies 98: 243-245.
- Heslin, P. J. (2007). Review of Gibson, B. (ed.), Statius Silvae 5 and Zeiner, N. K., Nothing Ordinary Here: Statius as a Creator of Distinction in the Silvae. Journal of Roman Studies 97.
- Heslin, P. J. (1999). Review of Charles Martindale (ed.) The Cambridge Companion to Virgil. Classics Ireland 6: 115-19.
- Heslin, P. J. (1996). Review of A D Melville (trans.) Statius, Thebaid. Hermathena 161: 98-101.
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Heslin, P.J. (2007). Diogenes, version 3.1.