Dr Anders Dahl Sorensen, Ph.D.
Biography and research
I am currently a COFUND Junior Research Fellow at the Department of Classics and Ancient History, Durham University. In 2014, I completed my Ph.D. at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin with a dissertation on Plato’s discussion of democracy and political knowledge. From 2015 to 2017 I was a postdoctoral research fellow at the Department of Greek and Latin, Copenhagen University, with a project that focused on competing conceptualisations of ‘the rule of law’ in Plato and Aristotle.
My primary research interests lie in the area of ancient political thought, broadly construed. During my time in Durham, I will be working on the text of the so-called ‘Anonymus Iamblichi’, a classical Greek author of unknown identity who is cited extensively by the late ancient Neopythagorean philosopher Iamblichus in his work Protreptikos. The main aim of the project is to compose the first book-length philosophical and historical commentary in English on the Anonymus Iamblichi. The commentary will include a new translation and a series of interpretative essays that explore selected themes from the text within the broader context of 5th and 4th BCE Greek philosophy (such as the sociology of honour, the nature and value of trust, the rule of law, and the criticism of Athenian democracy).
- Ancient history
- Ancient moral and political philosophy
- Contemporary political philosophy
- Democracy (ancient and modern)
- The Attic Orators
- The sophists
- (2016). Plato on Democracy and Political techne. Brill.
Chapter in book
- Jankrift, K, Kagerer, A, Kaiser, Chr & Romera, M (2016). Heraclitean Nature and Protagorean Democracy. The Politics of Protagoras’ ‘Secret Doctrine’ in Plato’s Theaetetus’. In Natur und Herrschaft. Analysen zur Physik der Macht. De Gruyter. 47-56.
- Dahl Sørensen, Anders (2018). Hippodamus of Miletus and the Character of the Athenian Dikastic Oath (Arist. Pol. 2.8). Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies 58(3): 324-348.
- Sørensen, Anders Dahl (2018). Political Office and the Rule of Law in Plato's 'Statesman'. Polis 35(2): 401-417.
- Sorensen, A D (2018). Review: M.-A. Gavray, Platon, héritier de Protagoras: dialogue sur les fondements de la démocratie. Bryn Mawr Classical Review
- Sorensen, A. D. (2018). Review: R. C. Bartlett, Sophistry and Political Philosophy: Protagoras' Challenge to Socrates. Polis 587-590.