Department of Classics and Ancient History
Classics and Ancient History at Durham University belongs to the Faculty of Arts and Humanities and is one of the most vibrant Classics departments in the UK. Our academic staff specialise in a wide range of artistic, historical, literary, linguistic, cultural and philosophical aspects of the Graeco-Roman world.
In the REF2014 evaluation of research quality, the Department was ranked joint second in the UK. We stand in third place in the UK with respect to world leading research and joint first place in the UK for world leading or internationally excellent research impact and research environment. To find out more about REF2014, and the Department's results, see our REF results page.
The Durham Classics, Classical Past, and Ancient History degrees offer both academic rigour and an outstanding student experience. Student satisfaction with our degree programmes, as measured by the annual NSS Survey, stands at a fantastic 94%. We are consistently ranked amongst the top Classics departments in the UK: second in the 2017 Complete University Guide; third (for the fourth year in a row) in the Times Good University Guide for 2016, fourth in the Guardian University Guide 2015. We are regularly among the top Classics departments in the UK for graduate employability.
Thursday 5 May 2016
- Research Seminar: Fragmentary texts as assemblages: the case of Ionian foundation myth 4:00pm to 5:30pm, Ritson Room, 38 North Bailey
Monday 9 May 2016
- Research Seminar: A Sociological Approach to Ancient Greek Science. 5:00pm to 6:30pm, Riston Room, 38 North Bailey
Thursday 12 May 2016
- Research Seminar: Reading the tone of (Roman) plebeian epigraphic self-expression 4:00pm to 5:30pm, Ritson Room, 38 North Bailey
Thursday 26 May 2016
- Exegesis and Hermeneutics in Platonism 1:00pm onwards, Ritson Room (CL007), Department of Classics and Ancient History, Durham University
Selected Recent Publications
- Nicholas Horsfall, The Epic Distilled. Studies in the Composition of the Aeneid. (OUP 2016).
- Amy Russell, The Politics of Public Space in Republican Rome (CUP 2015).
- Edward Harris, David Lewis and Mark Woolmer (eds) The Ancient Greek Economy: Markets, Households and City States (CUP 2015).
- Peter Heslin, The Museum of Augustus The Temple of Apollo in Pompeii, The Portico of Philippus in Rome, and Latin Poetry (Getty Publications 2015). *Recipient of an Honorable Mention in the 2016 PROSE awards.*
- Edoardo Zamuner, Ermelinda Valentina di Lascio, and D. K. Levy (eds), Ludwig Wittgenstein: Lecture on Ethics (Blackwell 2014)
- Edmund Richardson, Classical Victorians: Scholars, Scoundrels and Generals in Pursuit of Antiquity (CUP 2013)
- Barbara Graziosi, The Gods of Olympus: A History (Profile 2013)
- Nicholas Horsfall, Virgil, Aeneid 6: A Commentary (de Gruyter 2013)
- Nora Goldschmidt, Shaggy Crowns: Ennius' Annales and Virgil's Aeneid (OUP 2013)
- George Boys-Stones, Dmitri El Murr, and Christopher Gill (eds), The Platonic Art of Philosophy (OUP 2013) - a collection in honour of Christopher Rowe
- Phillip Horky, Plato and Pythagoreanism (OUP 2013)
- Johannes Haubold, Greece and Mesopotamia: Dialogues in Literature (CUP 2013)
- Johannes Haubold, Giovanni B. Lanfranchi, Robert Rollinger, and John Steele (eds.), The World of Berossos (Harrassowitz 2013)
- George Boys-Stones and Christopher Rowe, The Circle of Socrates. Readings in the First-Generation Socratics (Hackett 2013)
- Edward M. Harris, The Rule of Law in Action (OUP 2013)
- A. Gardner, E. Herring and K. Lomas (eds), Creating Ethnicities and Identities in the Roman World (Institute of Classical Studies, 2013)
- Ted Kaizer, Anna Leone, Edmund Thomas, and Robert Witcher (eds), Cities and Gods. Religious Space in Transition (Peeters 2013)
38 North Bailey
Durham DH1 3EU
Tel: +44 (0)191 334 1670
Fax: +44 (0)191 334 1671
- Naoise Mac Sweeney is here to talk on 'Fragmentary texts as assemblages: Ionian foundation myth'. Ritson Room, 4 p.m., 5th May.
Tweeted 9 hours ago
- RT @DUClassicsPGR: Great dept. workshop on research impact led by @cescarichards yesterday! We're ready to make a positive difference w/in…
Tweeted 5 days ago
- Durham Classics is second in the Complete University Guide league table! https://t.co/OhVITKWTHJ
Tweeted 1 week ago
- Olivier D'Jeranian speaks at today's workshop on relativity in ancient thought. https://t.co/qQf0C1RKC0
Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- RT @durham_uni: Calling all prospective 2016/17 students – now is the time to sort out your finances for university – more info here https:…
Tweeted 3 weeks ago