Publication details for Prof. Graham SandfordFox, M.A., Pattison, G., Sandford, G. & Batsanov, A.S. (2013). 19F and 13C GIAO-NMR chemical shifts for the identification of perfluoro-quinoline and -isoquinoline derivatives. Journal of Fluorine Chemistry 155: 62-71.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0022-1139 (print)
- DOI: 10.1016/j.jfluchem.2013.05.005
- Keywords: Perfluoroheteroaromatic, Nucleophilic aromatic substitution, Perfluoroquinoline, NMR spectroscopy.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Reaction of perfluoroquinoline 1 and perfluoroisoquinoline 2 with benzylamine gave mono- and di-aminated quinoline and isoquinoline systems, respectively, depending upon the reaction conditions by selective SNAr processes. Optimised model geometries of the aminated derivatives at MP2/6-31G* were in very good agreement with available X-ray crystallographic data and were used to compute 19F and 13C GIAO-NMR shifts. Comparison with observed 19F and 13C NMR shifts give excellent correlations, indicating that 19F and 13C GIAO-NMR computations are powerful tools in structurally identifying polyfunctional, polycyclic perfluoroheteroaromatic compounds and aiding NMR resonance assignment.