Publication details for Prof. Jeremy M. HutsonWallis, AOG & Hutson, JM (2009). Production of Ultracold NH Molecules by Sympathetic Cooling with Mg. Physical Review Letters 103(18): 183201.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0031-9007 (print), 1079-7114 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.103.183201
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We show that sympathetic cooling of NH molecules by Mg atoms has a good prospect of success. We carry out calculations on M-changing collisions of NH (3Σ-) molecules in magnetically trappable states with Mg, using a recently calculated potential energy surface. We show that elastic collision rates are much faster than inelastic rates for a wide range of fields at temperatures up to 10 mK and that the ratio increases for lower temperatures and magnetic fields.