Prof. W. James Feast, CBE, FRS
(email at email@example.com)
Professor Feast reached formal retirement age in 2003 and now works chiefly from home as an Emeritus Professor. He no longer runs a group and he does not recruit graduate students or post doctoral co- workers.
His interests are concerned with functional organic materials: design, synthesis, characterization and properties, including:
- Materials with novel electrical, magnetic and optical properties;
- Novel topologies, dendrimers and hyperbranched polymers;
- Self ordering systems;
Control of size, stereochemistry and organization in established and novel polymers leads to control of properties and function. Professor Feast's group made contributions to this theme including:
- synthesis of stereoblock copolymers via ligand exchange at the active chain end of a living ROMP system;
- demonstration that the mechanical properties of blends of dendritic and linear polymers are very sensitive functions of the size of the dendrimer;
- synthesis of self-ordering polyene and oligothiophene systems displaying enhanced charge carrier mobilities;
- demonstration that solid state photoluminescence efficiency is a sensitive function of cis/trans ratio in poly(arylene vinylene)s;
- control of branching ratio in an AB2 addition polymerisation, leading to dendritic solution behaviour.
- Synthesis of chiral self assembling sexithiophenes
- Insights into the long term stability of electroactive materials and the importance of high purities.
- Chiral Amphiphilic Self-Assembled α,α'-Linked Quinque-, Sexi-, and Septithiophenes: Synthesis, Stability and Odd-Even Effects, O.Henze, W.J. Feast, F. Gardebien, P. Jonkheijm, R. Lazzaroni, Ph. Leclère, E.W. Meijer and A.P.H.J. Schenning, J. Am. Chem.Soc, 128, 5923-5929 (2006).
- Anharmonic Magnetic Deformation of Self-Assembled Molecular Nanocapsules, O.V. Manyuhina, I.O. Shklyarevskiy, P. Jonkheim, P.C.M. Christianen , A. Fasolino, M.I. Katsnelson, A.P.H.J. Schenning, E.W. Meijer, O.Henze, A.F.M. Kilbinger, W.J. Feast and J.C. Mann, Phys. Rev. Letters, 98, 146101 (2007).
- Observations on the adherence of Proteus mirabilis onto polymer surfaces, D.J. Stickler, J.C. Lear, N.S. Morris, S.M. Macleod, A. Downer, D.H. Cadd and W.J. Feast, J. App. Microbiology, 100(5), 1028-1033 (2008).
- The role of heterogeneous nucleation in the self-assembly of oligothiphenes, M.Wolffs, P.A. Korevaar, P. Jonkheim, O. Henze, W.J. Feast, M. Cavallini, F. Biscarini, A.P.H.J. Schenning and E.W. Meijer, Chem.Comm., 4613-4615 (2008).
- Synthesis and thermal studies of aliphatic polyurethane dendrimers: a geometric approach to the Flory-Fox equation for dendrimer glass transition temperatures, A.Stoddart, W.J. Feast and S.P. Rannard, Soft Matter, 8, 1096-1108 (2012)
- Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerisation in the Synthesis of Conjugated Polymers, W.J. Feast in Polymer Science: a Comprehensive Reference, Amsterdam, Elsevier BV, Eds K. Matyjaszewski and M. Möller, Vol 4, 661-678 (2012).