Functional Molecules & Materials
The Functional Molecules and Materials Research Grouping addresses many of the major challenges concerning the preparation, analysis and exploitation of functional molecules and materials across the chemical spectrum, including metal oxides and mixed anion materials, nanomaterials, nanocarbons, biomaterials, conjugated molecular materials and bio-conjugates. The current strategic research areas include:
- Energy Generation, Storage and Conversion
- Imaging, Sensing and Detection
- Electronic and Photoresponsive Molecules and Materials
- Bioactive, Biomimetic and Pharmaceutical Molecules and Materials
- Characterisation and Methodology Development
The grouping uses a range of scientific skills from synthesis to physical and photo-physical properties measurements and computation and state of the art facilities and analytical techniques, such as single crystal X-ray, powder X-ray and neutron diffraction at both ambient and elevated pressures, solid-state NMR, spectroscopy and microscopy. A hallmark of much of this work is pushing these techniques to their limits both in terms of the experiments themselves and the information that can be derived from them, and in combining information from different sources to build up an overall understanding of how function relates to structure.
Research grouping members
Hover over the image to display the researchers name, click on the image to go to the staff page.
Recent publication highlights
- Molecular Machines Open Cell Membranes, V. García-López, F. Chen, L. G. Nilewski, G. Duret, A. Aliyan, A. B. Kolomeisky, J. T. Robinson, G. Wang, R. Pal and J. M. Tour, Nature, doi: doi:10.1038/nature23657, 2017.
- Rationalization of Anomalous Pseudocontact Shifts and Their Solvent Dependence in a Series of C-3-Symmetric Lanthanide Complexes, M. Vonci, K. Mason, E. A. Suturina, A. T. Frawley, S. G. Worswick, I. Kuprov, D. Parker, E. J. L. McInnes and N. F. Chilton, Journal of the American Chemical Society, doi: 10.1021/jacs.7b07094, 2017.
- Beyond Bleaney's Theory: Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of Periodic Trends in Lanthanide Induced Chemical Shift, D. Parker, I. Kuprov, E. Suturina, K. Mason and C. Geraldes, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, doi:10.1002/anie.201706931, 2017.
- Regio- and Conformational Isomerization Critical to Design of Efficient Thermally-activated Delayed Fluorescence Emitters, M. K. Etherington, F. Franchello, J. Gibson, T. Northey, J. Santos, J. S. Ward, H. F. Higginbotham, P. Data, A Kurowska, P. Lays Dos Santos, D. R. Graves, A. S. Batsanov, F. B. Dias, M. R. Bryce, T. J. Penfold and A. P. Monkman, Nature Communications, doi:10.1038/ncomms14987, 2017.
- Direct Observation of Oxide Ion Dynamics in La2Mo2O9 on the Nanosecond Timescale, J. R. Peet, C. A. Fuller, B. Frick, M. Zbiri, A. Piovano, M. R. Johnson and I. Radosavljevic Evans , Chemistry of Materials, DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.6b05507 2017.
- Selectively Switching on Europium Emission in Drug Site One of Human Serum Albumin, S. Shuvaev, R. Pal and D. Parker, Chemical Communications, 53, 50, 6724 2017.
- New Apatite-Type Oxide Ion Conductor, Bi2La8[(GeO4)6]O3: Structure, Properties, and Direct Imaging of Low-Level Interstitial Oxygen Atoms Using Aberration-Corrected Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy, M. L. Tate, D. A. Blom, M. Avdeev, H. E. A. Brand, G. J. McIntyre, T. Vogt and I. Radosavljevic Evans, Advanced Functional Materials, DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201605625, 2017.
- Novel Emitting System Based on a Multifunctional Bipolar Phosphor: An Effective Approach for Highly Efficient Warm-White Light-Emitting Devices with High Color-Rendering Index at High Luminance, M. Du, Y. Feng, D. Zhu, T. Peng, Y. Liu, Y. Wang and M. R. Bryce, Advanced Materials, 2016, 28, 5963, 2016.
- Spatially Orthogonal Spatial Functionalization of Hierarchical Pore Networks, C. M. A. Parlett, M. A. Isaacs, S. K. Beaumont, L. M. Bingham, N. S. Hondow, K. Wilson and A. F. Lee, Nature Materials, 15, 178, 2016.
- An Exhaustive Symmetry Approach to Structure Determination: Phase Transitions in Bi2Sn2O7, J. W. Lewis, J. L. Payne, I. Radosavljevic Evans, H. T. Stokes, B. J. Campbell, and J. S. O. Evans, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 138, 25, 8031, 2016.