Evening course formats
The Languages for All programme comprises a series of non-credit-bearing language courses open to Durham University staff and students (from Durham City and Queen's Campus), and members of the public. We offer four extra-curricular learning formats of differing durations. Languages available are Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Dutch, Swedish, Russian, Turkish, Arabic, Bengali, Persian, Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
Language Development Courses | 9 weeks (18 hours) | £125
The next programme of Language Development courses will commence in January 2018. Registration is now open.
Language Progression Courses | 18 weeks (36 hours) | £225/£200*
*£200 fee applies to Durham University staff and students. £225 fee applies to members of the public.
The next programme of Language Progression courses will commence in January 2018. Registration is now open.
Intensive Language Courses | 9 days (36 hours) | £200
The next programme of Intensive Language courses will commence in June 2018.
Language Accelerator Courses | 20 weeks (60/40 hours depending on level) | £350
The next programme of Language Accelerator courses will commence in October 2018.
Five key reasons to learn a foreign language
- Lack of ability in foreign languages is reported to cost the UK economy £48 billion in lost business
- 80% of world trade is accounted for by non-English speaking countries
- 74% (and rising) of all content on the internet is in a language other than English
- Improves cultural awareness and builds relationships
- Communication with partners and customers in their own language removes obstacles and opens doors