Courses for Students, Staff and the General Public
The Languages for All programme comprises a series of non-credit-bearing courses open to Durham University staff and students (from Durham City and Queen's Campus), and members of the public. Courses of different formats and at different levels are available in Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Swedish, Russian, Turkish, Arabic, Persian, Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
New language courses starting January 2017 in Durham
Duration: 18 weeks (11 January to 10 May)
Time: 2 hour per week
These courses follow a more relaxed format for learners who wish to improve their language skills but also have conflicting priorities in their lives. They comprise one 2-hour evening class, and a limited amount of independent learning between classes.
Duration: 9 weeks (w/c 16 January to w/c 13 March),
Time: 2 hours per week
These courses are the same as the Language Enhancement courses in format but last for 9 weeks and cover half the contents.
Other courses still available
If the language/level you want is not available as a new course, you may be able to register for one of the courses which started in October. Please contact us to check the current level of the class.
Normal fee: £225 - Durham University staff/students discounted fee: £200 - Returning learners (learners who attended an LFA course the previous year) £175
Five key reasons to learn a foreign language
- Lack of ability in foreign languages is reported to cost the UK economy £48 billion in lost business
- 80% of world trade is accounted for by non-English speaking countries
- 74% (and rising) of all content on the internet is in a language other than English
- Improves cultural awareness and builds relationships
- Commuication with partners and customers in their own language removes obstacles and opens doors