Courses for Students, Staff and the General Public
The Languages for All programme comprises a series of non-credit-bearing courses open to Durham University staff and students (from Durham City and Queen's Campus), and members of the public. Courses of different formats and at different levels are available in Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Swedish, Russian, Turkish, Arabic, Persian, Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Registration is currently open for courses commencing October 2016.
- Language accelerator: 20 weeks, 3 hour per week, £350
These courses are designed for the more committed or motivated learners who wish to develop their language ability more quickly. They include one 2-hour evening class plus an additional one-hour tutorial each week, and there is the expectation that learners will undertake independent learning between classes. Courses run term-time only starting week beginning 17th of October 2016 until May 2017. Click to view course timetable and proceed to enrolment.
- Language enhancement, 18 weeks, 2 hours per week, £225/£200/£175
These courses follow a more relaxed format for learners who wish to improve their language skills but also have conflicting priorities in their lives. They comprise one 2-hour evening class, and a limited amount of independent learning between classes. Courses run term-time only*, starting week beginning 24th of October 2016 until May 2017; some courses will offer an alternative start date week beginning 9th of January, with classes continuing over the University Easter break and finishing in May. Click to view course timetable and proceed to enrolment.
* We will be piloting 2 Beginners courses, French and Spanish, starting January 2017 and running continuously for 18 weeks
- Language development, 9 weeks, 2 hours per week, £125
These courses are the same as the Language Enhancement courses in format but start in January 2017 and last for 9 weeks and cover half the contents. Registration will open towards the end of 2016 when a timetable of available courses will be published. Please note that a much smaller range of languages and levels will be available as LD courses.
Language Accelerator courses: £350
Language Enhancement courses: £225 - Durham University staff/students: £200 - Returning learners*: £175
* Learners who attended an LFA course the previous year
Five key reasons to learn a foreign language
- Lack of ability in foreign languages is reported to cost the UK economy £48 billion in lost business
- 80% of world trade is accounted for by non-English speaking countries
- 74% (and rising) of all content on the internet is in a language other than English
- Improves cultural awareness and builds relationships
- Commuication with partners and customers in their own language removes obstacles and opens doors