General purpose courses for Students, Staff and the General Public
The Languages for All programme comprises a series of extra-curricular courses open to Durham University staff and students (from Durham City and Queen's Campus), and members of the public.
(Details of the 16-17 programme should be available in May/June)
- Language accelerator: 20 weeks, 3 hour per week, £350
These courses are designed for the more committed or motivated learners who wish to develop their language ability more quickly. They include one 2-hour evening class plus an additional one-hour tutorial each week and expect learners to undertake independent learning between classes. Courses run term-time only starting week beginning 17th of October 2016 until May 2017.
- Language enhancement, 18 weeks, 2 hours per week, £225/£200/£175
These courses follow a more relaxed format for learners who wish to improve their language skills but also have conflicting priorities in their lives. They comprise one 2-hour evening class, and a limited amount of independent learning between classes. Courses run term-time only, starting week beginning 24th of October 2016 until May 2017; some courses will offer an alternative start date week beginning 9th of January, with classes continuing over the University Easter break and finishing in May.
- Language development, 9 weeks, 2 hours per week, £125
These courses are the same as the Language enhancement courses in format but start in January 2017 and last for 9 weeks.
We have a programme of short courses in June.
Five key reasons to learn a foreign language
- Lack of ability in foreign languages is reported to cost the UK economy £48 billion in lost business
- 80% of world trade is accounted for by non-English speaking countries
- 74% (and rising) of all content on the internet is in a language other than English
- Improves cultural awareness and builds relationships
- Commuication with partners and customers in their own language removes obstacles and opens doors