Other Work Experience
Work experience isn't always advertised, particularly with in the media, third sector and with smaller organisations, so it's always worth applying speculatively to companies/organisations you're interested in.
Ensure you research the organistion fully. In your application, demonstrate a good awareness of what they do, explain why you are keen to be part of it and suggest where you might best make a valuable contribution. A proactive and well-researched approach such as this could secure you a place in a highly competitive field.
Work shadowing is an unpaid learning experience within a organisation. Such short 'tasters' usually comprise a few days of shadowing employees and give you the chance to try out various tasks.
Part Time & Vacation Work
The Student Employment Service (SES) is part of Careers & Enterprise and:
- Helps students find and apply for local part time work, and work experience, in and around Durham and Stockton
- Helps employers find students to fill regular, seasonal, casual and ad hoc vacancies
- Provides advice on employment issues to students, employers and colleagues, and;
- Coordinates regular and ad hoc University departments have, ensuring that, as far as possible, opportunities within the University that can be done by a student are.
- Speculative Applications Help Sheet (last modified: 24 July 2018)