Explore Public Sector
'Explore: Public Sector' is a work experience scheme providing opportunities for Durham University students to work with a team within Durham County Council on a specific project. The opportunities are part-time (4 hours per week) usually during term-time.
The aim of the programme is to provide valuable, graduate-level work experience which will enable students to:
- develop crucial employability skills
- gain an insight into the Public Sector workplace
- gain a professional reference
- acquire valuable work experience and enhance their CV
The scheme has been developed by Durham University Careers and Enterprise in partnership with Durham County Council.
Internships running in 2018- 2019:
This gives you an idea of the type of opportunity available through this programme and the skills required.
1. Service User Voice, Education, Children and Young People Services Progression Team, Newton Aycliffe
The project is to design and develop methods to engage with the user group – young people aged 15-24 across County Durham. This will include exploring different methods for gaining feedback including focus groups and social media.
Key skills and attributes required include:
• A genuine interest in engaging with young people, including young people in vulnerable groups
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to prioritise and manage own workload
2. Digital Transformation Project, Asset Management, County Hall, Durham
The team manages the corporate property register and supports the strategic asset management of Durham County Council land and buildings. This project is to explore existing and new technology to facilitate efficient document management and effective service delivery.
Person specification includes:
• Studying towards a degree in business management, computer science or any subject with an IT focus
• Good interpersonal and communication skills
• Positive, enthusiastic and flexible approach
3. Smart Stanley Engagement and Website Project, Stanley Area Action Partnership, Stanley, County Durham
This project involves engaging with local businesses in the Stanley area to improve business engagement and optimise the website to ensure it is relevant and appealing to Stanley businesses, residents and visitors.
Person specification includes :
• Experience of WordPress software
• Able to work with a wide range of partners and agendas
• Innovative approach to problem solving
• Willingness to travel to Stanley (travel expenses will be paid)
Durham County Council are also hosting interns in the Digital Transformation team and Adult Learning and Skills Service.