Enabling Opportunities - widening participation in work experience
Enabling Opportunities is a bespoke programme, designed by Careers & Enterprise, to provide careers support to a small group of students from under-represented backgrounds who are seeking work experience. Encompassing a series of workshops, tailored one-to-one support and engagement with employers, the programme provides expert guidance and advice that will ultimately strengthen applications to work experience opportunities.
The 2019-2020 programme is open to applications from Home, EU and International undergraduate or postgraduate students who have encountered difficulties or lack confidence in understanding work experience application processes, or have been unsuccessful in securing previous work experience and that fulfil at least one of the following criteria:
- from areas of lower higher education participation (LPN), lower household income and/or lower socioeconomic status groups*
- have a disability**
- from the north east of England
Enabling Opportunities is tailored to provide support appropriate to your individual needs. From the initial stages of exploring your situation and support needs, through to a series of workshops and one-to-one advice and mentoring, students will benefit from a supportive environment. The programme will also offer access to networking opportunities, where you be will given the chance to practise this key skill in a real life situation, and offers the unique opportunity to engage with key employers. You will be encouraged to think about your career aspirations and you will work towards applying for work experience opportunities available exclusively to participants on this programme. Running from October 2019 to June 2020, it includes:
- Informal introductions and briefing sessions
- 4-6 workshops (spread throughout the year) on topics including engaging with employers, applying for opportunities and preparing for your work experience.
- One-to-one support (via bookable appointments)
- Visits to employers
- Signposting to relevant events in the region
- Support to apply for funded internship opportunities
- Final celebration event (to be held during October 2020)
Applications open: 2 October 2019 ||| Applications close: 20 October 2019 (23.59)
To apply please fully complete the application form below and return it to the Work Experience Development Manager
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
*Office for Students (OfS) definition. This may also include, but is not limited to, or defined as first generation scholars and/or state school educated students
** The Equality Act 2010 defines disability as “a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.”
- Enabling Opportunities Application Form (last modified: 1 October 2019)