Enabling Opportunities - a widening participation programme
Enabling Opportunities is a programme, designed by Careers & Enterprise, to provide support to a small group of students with a disability seeking work experience. Encompassing a programme of workshops, tailored one to one support and engagement with employers, the programme is intended to provide a greater depth of support that will ultimately strengthen your application to bespoke work experience opportunities. The programme culminates with a fixed period of work experience.
The pilot programme, running in the 2018-2019 academic year, is open for applications from all students with a disability, either undergraduate or postgraduate, who may:
- have been unsuccessful in securing previous work experience
- have experienced barriers in applying for, or securing, work experience
- feel they are lacking confidence in the process involved in securing work experience
This programme is designed with your needs in mind. It is tailored to provide support where you need it most. From the initial stages of thinking about how to start, through to one to one advice, along with specific workshops, it is anticipated that students benefit from working through the programme in a supportive environment. The programme will also offer access to networking opportunities, where you be will given the chance to practice this key skill in a real life situation, and offers the unique opportunity to attend insight days with key employers and business partners, based in the North East. During the programme, you will be encouraged to think about your career aspirations and you will work towards applying for one of the hand selected work experience opportunities available exclusively to participants on this programme. The final part of the programme is a work experience opportunity (of 2-4 weeks in duration), paid or voluntary, depending on preference.
This is a year-long programme, running from October 2018 to June 2019, and includes:
- Informal introductions and briefing sessions (hot drinks and cake included!)
- 4-6 workshops (spread throughout the year)
- One to one support
- 2 x visits (one to a graduate employer, one to a local business centre)
- 2-4 week work experience internship
- Final celebration event (to be held during October 2019)
Applications open: 15th October 2018 ||| Applications close: 22nd October 2018 (23.59)
Please apply via the Enabling Opportunities Application Form by 22nd October. Please note: Places are limited. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
- Enabling Opportunities: Application Form (last modified: 15 October 2018)