We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Careers & Enterprise Centre

International & EEA Students

International Students

If you are an international student there may be some restrictions on working in the UK. This will depend on the type of Visa that you hold.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) has comprehensive information on working both in the UK during your studies and after your studies.

For advice within the University, please visit the Student Immigration Office website.

Although your Visa may state that you can work up to 20 hours per week during term time, please refer to the University's recommended maximum working hours as these apply to all students.

When starting a job, your employer will ask to see original documents that prove your eligibility to work in the UK. This is usually your Passport or International ID card and your Visa.

The UK Government Home Office states that if you are a Tier 4 student who is permitted to work, you must ensure that you work your permitted hours (20 or 10 hours) into a 7-day period starting on a Monday and ending on a Sunday.

If you work irregular hours and/or have more than one employer you will need to retain records of how many hours you work on any given day, to ensure that you do not breach the Tier 4 working conditions.

EEA Students

If you are a citizen of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you have the right to work in the UK however there are currently some extra requirements for Croatian nationals.

Please check the UKBA website for the most up to date information:

For students without restrictions, your Passport or International ID card should be proof of your eligibility to work in the UK.

Please refer to the resources on the right for more information on working in the UK as a non-home student.