Book an Appointment
We offer several types of appointment to current students of Durham University at the Careers & Enterprise Centre. If you are a Durham Graduate, please see here for details of the services available to you.
PhD students and Postdoctoral staff must telephone us on 0191 3341437 or call into the Careers Centre to arrange an appointment.
Important Information about appointments:
- The Student Services Portal shows appointments available over the next seven days only.
- New appointments, (where applicable), are released each weekday evening at 7pm for 7 days ahead i.e Monday at 7pm for the following Monday and so on.
- Michaelmas is our busiest term for appointments and they are in very high demand. If there are none available on the system, please check for new appointments at 7pm, Monday-Friday as this simply means there are none available and Careers Centre staff will therefore also be unable to book on your behalf.
- We strongly advise using the vast resources we have either online or in our Information Rooms in the first instance.
Before booking an appointment
By carrying out some research using our well stocked Information Room and comprehensive website, your questions may be answered without the need to book into an appointment. We recommend that you take a close look at our career sector factsheets as they feature a lot of the answers to many of the questions commonly asked in appointments. Our Information Staff are also able to help with various enquiries. If you do decide to make an appointment, please take some time to read through the descriptions below to ensure you book the most suitable type for your needs, as appointments may be cancelled if the wrong type is booked.
A 20 minute appointment with a Careers Adviser, bookable up to one week in advance. It is appropriate if you have:
- Specific questions that you would like to ask a Careers Adviser
- An enquiry relating to an application form, CV or course
- An enquiry in respect of an interview or assessment centre (however 'Practice interviews' will require a referral for a longer consultation - see the information below)
At the end of your appointment, the Careers Adviser may make a referral for a longer consultation to discuss your plans in more detail. Information staff are also able to make referrals for you to have a longer appointment depending on your query. Please ask for more information.
Student Employment Service - part time and vacation work
A 20 minute appointment exclusively for students who are looking for:
- Part time or vacation work in the local area including the University
- Advice on applications for part time work (including CVs, Covering letters and interviews)
- Employment information (including advice about working in the UK, paying tax, National Minimum Wage etc)
Appointments with a business adviser exclusively for students who are:
- In the early stages of creating their own business/social enterprise
- Looking for advice on how to develop a business idea
- Interested in creating their own business when they graduate.
Work Experience Applications
20 minute appointments with one of our Placement Officers for advice on your CV/Covering letter if you are applying for work experience. Please note - Quick query appointments must be booked for more detailed advice on work experience or if you would like feedback on a CV/Covering letter for a graduate job.
How to book
All of these appointments can be booked online via the Student Service Portal, following the instructions in the Adviser Appointments leaflet below. Distance learners, Graduates and students located away from Durham will need to telephone to arrange a phone or Skype appointment as we are unable to arrange appointments via email.
The Careers & Enterprise Centre is very welcoming and resourceful. As going from Theology to Dentistry is such a big change, I decided to ask for some advice and a practise interview (having 3 interviews coming up!). The help I received was brilliant. The Careers Adviser could not have been more helpful, his questions were pretty much exactly what I got in the real thing. I felt much more confident and better prepared for my interviews, gaining places at all three institutions and deciding on Manchester! I am so helpful for all the help I got."Olivia Barratt, BA (Hons) Theology
The Careers Centres in Durham City and Queen's Campus are both accessible by wheelchair, should you have any questions about access please contact us.
- Adviser Appointments (last modified: 26 October 2017)