Graduate opportunities with a 2:2
Many organizations do stipulate a 2.1 as part of their graduate scheme entry requirements but not all. In fact there is a wide variety of graduate training programmes open to graduates with a 2.2 degree. The Civil Service Fast Stream is perhaps the most high profile example of a 2.2 graduate scheme but opportunities exist across all sectors. Your options will be narrowed slightly but if you are prepared to expand your search, and think outside of the most familiar graduate recruiters, there are some excellent opportunities to be found.
It is also worth noting that graduate schemes, primarily with large, blue-chip organizations, constitute only 20% of the graduate job market. The wider graduate job market is difficult to define but consists of graduate trainee posts and entry level roles, often with small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs). In this context academic performance is important but there is not necessarily the same rigidity in respect of entry requirements. Irrespective of the type of opportunity that you are applying for, all employers will expect graduates to present a well rounded profile demonstrating a high level of employability.
Example 2:2 graduate schemes
The employers listed below recruit graduates, often in any degree subject, onto management training schemes in various functions. Please note that entry requirements can change and the list below represents only a starting point in researching opportunities with a 2:2.
- Arcadia Group - Retail Management “a degree in any subject”; Distribution “a degree in a numerate/analytical subject” ; Merchandising “a degree in a numerate or business-related subject”
- B&Q - Retail management programme. 2:2 gained within last 2 years
- BT - 2.2 accepted if you have a postgraduate degree
- Centrica - 2.2 accepted if you have a Masters degree
- Co-operative Group - Business Management & Finance programmes - no degree class specified
- CSC - Global information technology company. Graduate programmes in HR, Business, Finance and Consulting in addition to Technology. Applicants with a 2.2 and relevant experience encouraged.
- Enterprise Rent-a-Car– no degree class specified
- Gist - Operations, IT and HR. 2.2 minimum
- Jaguar Land Rover - Any discipline for Purchasing, HR, Marketing, Sales & Service. For Finance and IT vacancies, a relevant degree is “ideal but not essential”. Minimum 2.2
- Kerry Group - Graduate Development Programme including Finance; Commercial (Marketing and Sales); Supply Chain. 2.2 in any subject.
- Meta-Morphose - Sales training
- Nestlé - Finance, Marketing, Engineering, HR, Sales, Supply Chain. Some schemes (e.g. sales) will accept a 2:2; others will (e.g. HR) will accept a 2:2 with a Masters.
- NHS - 2.2 minimum in any subject. Four schemes: Human Resources, Finance, Health Informatics or General Management
- Pareto - (Graduate sales careers) Any degree discipline/class
- RWE npower - Programmes include Business Analysis; Finance; Marketing; Sales; Customer Operations; Quantitative Risk. “We do not apply a minimum classification, however, your degree classification will be taken into consideration when assessing your application as a whole”.
- Siemens - Business related roles include Finance; Project Management; Operations Management and Sales. Minimum 2.2 in a relevant subject.
- Stagecoach group - degree in any discipline at 2:2 or above for the Operational programme.
- Yorkshire Water - Graduate Development Programme involving a number of structured placements. 2.2 minimum.
- Great jobs with a 2.2 (PDF) (last modified: 24 July 2013)