Dr Helen Moore, BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD
(email at email@example.com)
Helen has a BSc (Hons) degree in Cell Biology from Durham University, an MSc Information Technology from Teesside University and a PhD titled "Advice on diet and body weight for the management of type 2 diabetes in adults from different socio-economic status groups" also from Teesside University. She is a member of the Association for the Study of Obesity.
Helen is an accomplished information scientist and is involved in systematic reviews and research on obesity, measurement of food intake/physical activity, and the continued development of the SNAP™ (Synchronised Nutrition & Activity Program) computer tool for measuring energy balance related behaviours.
Helen is a Co-Investigator in the NIHR funded Comunity Pharmacy systematic review project and the SPHR Foodscape Project. She joined Durham University in October 2008, after working at Teesside University for six years in a variety of roles including a period of time in knowledge transfer and various obesity-based research projects.
Helen is currently based in the Evaluation, Research and Development Unit (ERDU) within the School of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health and works over several cancer diagnosis projects, although is mainly focusing on the ECASS (Evaluation of a Computer Aid for assessing Stomach Symptoms) project.
Currently supervising PhD's for: Natalie Connor; Claire O'Malley
Previously supervised PhDs to completion: Carla Habib Mourad; Marie Claire Chamieh
Previously supervised MPhil to completion: Lucie Nield
School of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health
- Moore, H. & Summerbell, C. (2006). Obesity prevention and public health. David Crawford and Robert W Jeffrey (eds). Oxford University Press, pp. 352, £49.50, 2005, ISBN: 0-19-856600-X. International Journal of Epidemiology 35(4): 1108.
Journal papers: academic
- Chamieh, M.C., Moore, H.J., Summerbell, C., Tamim, H., Sibai, A.M. & Hwalla, N. (2015). Diet, physical activity and socio-economic disparities of obesity in Lebanese adults: findings from a national study. BMC Public Health 15: 279.
- Hillier-Brown, F.C., Bambra, C.L., Cairns-Nagi, J.M., Kasim, A., Moore, H.J. & Summerbell, C.D. (2014). A systematic review of the effectiveness of individual, community and societal level interventions at reducing socioeconomic inequalities in obesity amongst adults. International Journal of Obesity 38(12): 1483-1490.
- Hillier-Brown, F.C., Bambra, C.L., Cairns, J.-M., Kasim, A., Moore, H.J. & Summerbell, C.D. (2014). A systematic review of the effectiveness of individual, community and societal level interventions at reducing socioeconomic inequalities in obesity amongst children. BMC Public Health 14: 834.
- Todd, A , Moore, HJ , Husband, A , Bambra, C , Kasim, A, Sniehotta, F Steed, L & Summerbell, CD (2014). Community pharmacy interventions for public health priorities: protocol for a systematic review of community pharmacy-delivered smoking, alcohol and weight management interventions. Systematic Reviews 3(1): 93.
- Carvalho, M-A Osvaldo, S Rito, A Foster, E, Moore, HJ & Miguel, JP (2014). Development of a new computer program to assess dietary intake in Portuguese school-age children: a qualitative approach / Desenvolvimento de um novo instrumento online de avalicao do consumo alimentar para criancas Portuguesas em idade escolar: abordagem qualitativa. Acta Pediátrica Portuguesa 45: 116-123.
- Habib-Mourad, C., Moore, H., Nabhani, Z.M., Hwalla, N. & Summerbell, C. (2014). Health-E-PALS: promoting Healthy Eating and Physical Activity in Lebanese school children – Intervention development. Education and Health 32(1): 3-8.
- Habib-Mourad, C., Ghandour, L., Moore, H., Nabhani-Zeidan, M., Kasim, A., Hwalla, N. & Summerbell, C. (2014). Promoting healthy eating and physical activity among school children: findings from Health-E-PALS, the first pilot intervention from Lebanon. BMC Public Health 14: 940.
- Moore, H.J., Hillier, F.C., Batterham, A.M., Ells, L.J. & Summerbell, C.D. (2014). Technology-based dietary assessment development of the Synchronised Nutrition and Activity Program (SNAP™). Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 27(Suppl. 1): 36-42.
- Hillier-Brown, Frances, Moore, Helen, Lake, Amelia, Adamson, Ashley, White, Martin, Adams, Jean, Araujo-Soares, Vera, Abraham, Charles & Summerbell, Carolyn (2014). The effectiveness of interventions targeting specific out-of-home food outlets: protocol for a systematic review. Systematic Reviews 3(1): 17.
- Moore, H.J., Nixon, C.A., Lake, A.A., Douthwaite, W., O'Malley, C.L., Pedley, C.L., Summerbell, C.D. & Routen, A.C. (2014). The environment can explain differences in adolescents’ daily physical activity levels living in a deprived urban area: Cross-sectional study using accelerometry, GPS and focus groups. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 11(8): 1517-1524.
- Cairns, J.M., Bambra, C., Hillier-Brown, F.C., Moore, H.J. & Summerbell, C.D. (2014). Weighing up the evidence: a systematic review of the effectiveness of workplace interventions to tackle socio-economic inequalities in obesity. Journal of Public Health
- Barber, S.E., Jackson, C., Akhtar, S., Bingham, D.D., Ainsworth, H., Hewitt, C., Richardson, G., Summerbell C.D. , Pickett, K.E., Moore, H.J., Routen, A.C., O'Malley C.L., Brierley, S. & Wright, J (2013). Pre-schoolers in the playground: an outdoor physical activity intervention for children aged 18 months to 4 years old: study protocol for a pilot cluster randomised controlled trial. Trials 14: 326.
- Lakshman, R, Paes, V, Hesketh, H, O’Malley, C, Moore, H, Ong, K, Griffin, S, Van Sluijs, E & Summerbell, C (2013). Protocol for systematic reviews of determinants/correlates of obesity related dietary and physical activity behaviours in young children (preschool 0-6yrs): evidence mapping and syntheses. Systematic Reviews
- Bambra, C.L., Hillier, F.C., Moore, H.J., Cairns-Nagi, J.M. & Summerbell, C.D. (2013). Tackling inequalities in obesity: a protocol for a systematic review of the effectiveness of public health interventions at reducing socioeconomic inequalities in obesity among adults. Systematic Reviews 2(1): 27.
- Gibson, E.L., Kreichauf, S., Wildgruber, A., Vögele, C., Summerbell, C.D., Nixon, C., Moore, H.J., Douthwaite, W., Manios, Y. & on behalf of the ToyBox Project. (2012). A narrative review of psychological and educational strategies applied to young children's eating behaviours aimed at reducing obesity risk. Obesity Reviews 13(s1): 85-95.
- Kreichauf, S., Wildgruber, A., Krombholz, H., Gibson, L., Vögele, C., Nixon, C., Douthwaite, W., Moore, H., Manios, Y., Summerbell, C. & on behalf of the ToyBox Project (2012). Critical narrative review to identify educational strategies promoting physical activity in preschool. Obesity Reviews 13(s1): 96-105.
- Nixon, C.A., Moore, H.J., Douthwaite, W., Gibson, E.L., Vogele, C., Kreichauf, S., Wildgruber, A., Manios, Y., Summerbell, C.D. & on behalf of the ToyBox-study group. (2012). Identifying behavioural models underpinning school-based obesity prevention interventions: a systematic review. Obesity Reviews 13(S1): 106-117.
- Summerbell, C.D., Moore, H.J., Gibson, E.L., Vögele, C., Wildgruber, A., Krombholz, H., Kreichauf, S., Douthwaite, W., Nixon, C.A. & on behalf of the ToyBox Project. (2012). Practical evidence-based recommendations relating to educational strategies, psychological approaches, and behavioural models, to consider when developing interventions for the prevention of obesity in young (aged 4-6) children. Obesity Reviews 13(s1): 129-132.
- Lee Hooper; Abdelhamid, A Moore, HJ , Douthwaite, W, Elmadfa, I, Skeaff, CM & Summerbell, CD (2012). Reducing total fat intake reduces weight: a systematic review and meta-analysis of RCTs and cohort studies. BMJ 345.
- Bambra, C.L., Hillier, F.C., Moore, H.J. & Summerbell, C.D. (2012). Tackling inequalities in obesity: a protocol for a systematic review of the effectiveness of public health interventions at reducing socioeconomic inequalities in obesity amongst children. BMC Systematic Reviews 1: 16.
- Hillier, F., Batterham, A., Crooks, S., Moore, H.J. & Summerbell, C.D. (2012). The development and evaluation of a novel internet-based computer program to assess previous-day dietary and physical activity behaviours in adults: The Synchronised Nutrition and Activity Program for Adults (SNAPATM). British Journal of Nutrition 107(8): 1221-1231.
- van Stralen, M.M., te Velde, S.J., Singh, A.S., de Bourdeaudhuij, I., Martens, M.K., van der Sluis, M., Manios, Y., Grammatikaki, E., Chinapaw, M.J.M. Maes, Lea., Bere, Elling., Jensen, J., Moreno, L., Jan, N., Molnar, D. Moore, H. & Brug, J. (2011). EuropeaN Energy balance Research to prevent excessive weight Gain among Youth (ENERGY) project: Design and methodology of the ENERGY cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Health 11: 65.
- Tiffin, P. A., Arnott, B., Moore, H. J. & Summerbell, C. D. (2011). Modelling the relationship between obesity and mental health in children and adolescents: findings from the Health Survey for England 2007. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health 5: 31.
- Hooper, L., Summerbell, C.D., Thompson, R., Sills, D., Roberts, F.G., Moore, H. & Davey Smith, G. (2011). Reduced or modified dietary fat for preventing cardiovascular disease (major update-CD002137). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews Issue 7. Art. No.: CD002137..
- Brug, J., te Velde, S.J., Chinapaw, M.J.M., Bere, E., de Bourdeaudhuij, I., Moore, H., Maes, L., Jensen, J. Manios, Y., Lien, N., Klepp, K.I., Lobstein, T., Martens, M., Salmon, J. & Singh, A.S. (2010). Evidence-based development of school-based and family-involved prevention of overweight across Europe: The ENERGY-project’s design and conceptual framework. BMC Public Health 10: 276.
- Heslehurst, N., Moore, H., Rankin, J., Ells, L.J., Wilkinson, J.R. & Summerbell, C.D. (2010). How can maternity services be developed to effectively address maternal obesity? A qualitative study. Midwifery 1-8 [Epub ahead of print].
- Brown, T., Avenell, A., Edmunds, L.D., Moore, H., Whittaker, V., Avery, L., Summerbell, C. & for the PROGRESS team. (2009). Systematic review of long-term lifestyle interventions to prevent weight gain and morbidity in adults. Obesity Reviews 10(6): 627–638.
- Nield, L., Summerbell, C.D., Hooper, L., Whittaker, V. & Moore, H. (2008). Dietary advice for the prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (3): CD005102.
- Moore, HJ, Ells, LJ, McLure, SA, Crooks, S, Cumbor, D, Summerbell, CD & Batterham, AM (2008). The development and evaluation of a novel computer program to assess previous-day dietary and physical activity behaviours in school children: The Synchronised Nutrition and Activity Program (TM) (SNAP (TM). British Journal Of Nutrition 99(6): 1266-1274.
- Nield, L., Moore, H., Hooper, L., Cruickshank, JK., Vyas, A., Whittaker, V. & Summerbell, CD. (2007). Dietary Advice for Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (3): CD004097.
- Hooper, L., Thompson, R.L., Harrison, R.A., Summerbell, C.D., Ness, A.R., Moore, H.J., Worthington, H.V., Durrington, P.N., Higgins, J.P.T., Capps, N.E., Riemersma, R.A., Ebrahim, S.B.J. & Smith, G.D. (2006). Risks and benefits of omega 3 fats for mortality, cardiovascular disease, and cancer: systematic review. British Medical Journal 332(7544): 752-760.
- Hooper, L., Harrison, R.A., Summerbell, C.D., Moore, H., Worthington, H.V., Ness, A.R., Capps, N.E., Davey Smith, G., Riemersma, R.A. & Ebrahim, S.B.J. (2004). Omega-3 fatty acids for prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 4: CD003177.
- Moore, H. & Summerbell, C. (2003). Searching the evidence: the clinically-effective nutritionist. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 62(4): 773-776.
- 2011: Inequalities in Obesity (£178062.00 from NIHR)