Dr Helen Moore, BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD
(email at email@example.com)
Helen Moore has a BSc (Hons) degree in Cell Biology from Durham University, an MSc Information Technology from Teesside University and a PhD titled "Advice on diet and body weight for the management of type 2 diabetes in adults from different socio-economic status groups" also from Teesside University. She is a member of the Association for the Study of Obesity.
Helen is an accomplished information scientist and is involved in research on obesity, measurement of food intake/physical activity, nutrition and physical activity within the UK school system and systematic reviewing.
Her current major research interests are the ESRC funded MOVE Project, the FP7 funded ToyBox Project, the NIHR funded Pre-schoolers in the Playground Project, the SPHR funded Foodscape Project and the continued development of the SNAP™ (Synchronised Nutrition & Activity Program) computer tool for measuring energy balance related behaviours. Helen is also involved in writing papers for recently completed projects including the WCRF UK funded TeesCAKE Project, the FP7 funded ENERGY Project and the NIHR funded Tackling Inequalities in Obesity Project. She, along with other researchers from the ORB research group, have also been working closely with the Catering Department to nutritionally analyse some of the meals provided for students and staff across the university.
She joined Durham University in October 2008, after working at Teesside University for six years in a variety of roles including a period of time in knowledge transfer and various obesity-based research projects.
Helen also works part-time for John Snow College as their College Support and External Relations Officer where her responsibilities include alumni, culture and fundraising.
Medicine, Pharmacy and Health, School of
- Moore, H. & Summerbell, C. (2006). Obesity prevention and public health. David Crawford and Robert W Jeffrey (eds). Oxford University Press, pp. 352, £49.50, 2005, ISBN: 0-19-856600-X. International Journal of Epidemiology 35(4): 1108.
Journal papers: academic
- Moore, H.J., Hillier, F.C., Batterham, A.M., Ells, L.J. & Summerbell, C.D. (2014). Technology-based dietary assessment development of the Synchronised Nutrition and Activity Program (SNAP™). Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 27(Suppl. 1): 36-42.
- Barber, S.E., Jackson, C., Akhtar, S., Bingham, D.D., Ainsworth, H., Hewitt, C., Richardson, G., Summerbell C.D. , Pickett, K.E., Moore, H.J., Routen, A.C., O'Malley C.L., Brierley, S. & Wright, J. (2013). Pre-schoolers in the playground: an outdoor physical activity intervention for children aged 18 months to 4 years old: study protocol for a pilot cluster randomised controlled trial. Trials 14: 326
- Bambra, C.L., Hillier, F.C., Moore, H.J., Cairns-Nagi, J.M. & Summerbell, C.D. (2013). Tackling inequalities in obesity: a protocol for a systematic review of the effectiveness of public health interventions at reducing socioeconomic inequalities in obesity among adults. Systematic Reviews 2(1): 27.
- Gibson, E.L., Kreichauf, S., Wildgruber, A., Vögele, C., Summerbell, C.D., Nixon, C., Moore, H.J., Douthwaite, W., Manios, Y. & on behalf of the ToyBox Project. (2012). A narrative review of psychological and educational strategies applied to young children's eating behaviours aimed at reducing obesity risk. Obesity Reviews 13(s1): 85-95.
- Kreichauf, S., Wildgruber, A., Krombholz, H., Gibson, L., Vögele, C., Nixon, C., Douthwaite, W., Moore, H., Manios, Y., Summerbell, C. & on behalf of the ToyBox Project (2012). Critical narrative review to identify educational strategies promoting physical activity in preschool. Obesity Reviews 13(s1): 96-105.
- Nixon, C.A., Moore, H.J., Douthwaite, W., Gibson, E.L., Vogele, C., Kreichauf, S., Wildgruber, A., Manios, Y., Summerbell, C.D. & on behalf of the ToyBox-study group. (2012). Identifying behavioural models underpinning school-based obesity prevention interventions: a systematic review. Obesity Reviews 13(S1): 106-117.
- Summerbell, C.D., Moore, H.J., Gibson, E.L., Vögele, C., Wildgruber, A., Krombholz, H., Kreichauf, S., Douthwaite, W., Nixon, C.A. & on behalf of the ToyBox Project. (2012). Practical evidence-based recommendations relating to educational strategies, psychological approaches, and behavioural models, to consider when developing interventions for the prevention of obesity in young (aged 4-6) children. Obesity Reviews 13(s1): 129-132.
- Bambra, C.L., Hillier, F.C., Moore, H.J. & Summerbell, C.D. (2012). Tackling inequalities in obesity: a protocol for a systematic review of the effectiveness of public health interventions at reducing socioeconomic inequalities in obesity amongst children. BMC Systematic Reviews 1: 16.
- Hillier, F., Batterham, A., Crooks, S., Moore, H.J. & Summerbell, C.D. (2012). The development and evaluation of a novel internet-based computer program to assess previous-day dietary and physical activity behaviours in adults: The Synchronised Nutrition and Activity Program for Adults (SNAPATM). British Journal of Nutrition 107(8): 1221-1231.
- van Stralen, M.M., te Velde, S.J., Singh, A.S., de Bourdeaudhuij, I., Martens, M.K., van der Sluis, M., Manios, Y., Grammatikaki, E., Chinapaw, M.J.M. Maes, Lea., Bere, Elling., Jensen, J., Moreno, L., Jan, N., Molnar, D. Moore, H. & Brug, J. (2011). EuropeaN Energy balance Research to prevent excessive weight Gain among Youth (ENERGY) project: Design and methodology of the ENERGY cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Health 11: 65.
- Tiffin, P. A., Arnott, B., Moore, H. J. & Summerbell, C. D. (2011). Modelling the relationship between obesity and mental health in children and adolescents: findings from the Health Survey for England 2007. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health 5: 31.
- Hooper, L., Summerbell, C.D., Thompson, R., Sills, D., Roberts, F.G., Moore, H. & Davey Smith, G. (2011). Reduced or modified dietary fat for preventing cardiovascular disease (major update-CD002137). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews Issue 7. Art. No.: CD002137..
- Brug, J., te Velde, S.J., Chinapaw, M.J.M., Bere, E., de Bourdeaudhuij, I., Moore, H., Maes, L., Jensen, J. Manios, Y., Lien, N., Klepp, K.I., Lobstein, T., Martens, M., Salmon, J. & Singh, A.S. (2010). Evidence-based development of school-based and family-involved prevention of overweight across Europe: The ENERGY-project’s design and conceptual framework. BMC Public Health 10: 276.
- Heslehurst, N., Moore, H., Rankin, J., Ells, L.J., Wilkinson, J.R. & Summerbell, C.D. (2010). How can maternity services be developed to effectively address maternal obesity? A qualitative study. Midwifery 1-8 [Epub ahead of print].
- Brown, T., Avenell, A., Edmunds, L.D., Moore, H., Whittaker, V., Avery, L., Summerbell, C. & for the PROGRESS team. (2009). Systematic review of long-term lifestyle interventions to prevent weight gain and morbidity in adults. Obesity Reviews 10(6): 627–638.
- Nield, L., Summerbell, C.D., Hooper, L., Whittaker, V. & Moore, H. (2008). Dietary advice for the prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (3): CD005102.
- Moore, HJ, Ells, LJ, McLure, SA, Crooks, S, Cumbor, D, Summerbell, CD & Batterham, AM (2008). The development and evaluation of a novel computer program to assess previous-day dietary and physical activity behaviours in school children: The Synchronised Nutrition and Activity Program (TM) (SNAP (TM). British Journal Of Nutrition 99(6): 1266-1274.
- Nield, L., Moore, H., Hooper, L., Cruickshank, JK., Vyas, A., Whittaker, V. & Summerbell, CD. (2007). Dietary Advice for Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (3): CD004097.
- Hooper, L., Thompson, R.L., Harrison, R.A., Summerbell, C.D., Ness, A.R., Moore, H.J., Worthington, H.V., Durrington, P.N., Higgins, J.P.T., Capps, N.E., Riemersma, R.A., Ebrahim, S.B.J. & Smith, G.D. (2006). Risks and benefits of omega 3 fats for mortality, cardiovascular disease, and cancer: systematic review. British Medical Journal 332(7544): 752-760.
- Hooper, L., Harrison, R.A., Summerbell, C.D., Moore, H., Worthington, H.V., Ness, A.R., Capps, N.E., Davey Smith, G., Riemersma, R.A. & Ebrahim, S.B.J. (2004). Omega-3 fatty acids for prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 4: CD003177.
- Moore, H. & Summerbell, C. (2003). Searching the evidence: the clinically-effective nutritionist. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 62(4): 773-776.
- 2011: Inequalities in Obesity (£178062.00 from NIHR)