Dr Adetayo Kasim, BSc, MSc, PhD, CStat
Dr Adetayo Kasim is the Associate Professor for the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing, Durham University. He graduated with Master’s degree in Biostatistics from Center for Statistics, Hasselt University, Belgium. He had his PhD in Statistical Bioinformatics from the same university in collaboration with Janssen Pharmaceutical, Belgium. Since moving to Durham University, Adetayo provides statistical supports for several projects including educational evaluations and clinical trials. His methodological interests include generalised linear models, longitudinal data analysis and Bayesian modelling framework.
- Big data in medical and social sciences
- Biomarker identification and validation
- Design and analysis of social and clinical trials
- Evaluation of public health interventions and policies
- Statistical Bionformatics
- Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society (Chattered Statistician)
- Member of the International Biometric Society
- Member of the Belgian Statistical Society
- Invited Session Speaker at Joint Statistical Meeting. Title: Integrated analysis based on cluster analysis of differential expression. August 2016.
- Invited Lecturer at the University of Gondar, Ethiopia. Topic: Applied logistic regression. March 2015.
- Invited Speaker at DoReMi Workshop. Title: Data Integration in early drug development studies. Barcelona, Spain. October, 2015.
- Invited Speaker on ‘Computational methods aiding early-stage drug design’, Dagstuhl Seminar, Germany. Title: Semi-supervised investigation of association of gene expression with structural finger prints. May 2013.
- Invited Speaker at IBS-UG workshop on ‘infectious disease’, Uganda. Title. Analysis of HIV data. October 2013.
- Invited Session Speaker at International Biometric Society, Kobe, Japan. Title: Informative or non-informative calls for gene expression. August 2012.
- Invited Speaker at QSTAR meetings by Janssen Pharmaceutical, Belgium. Title: weighted-similarity based clustering of chemical structure and bioactivity in early drug discovery. April 2012.
- Invited Speaker at the workshop on ‘order restricted inference and
estimation’, Hasselt University, Diepenbeek, Belgium. Title: Bayesian variable selection for dose-response modelling. December 2011.
- Invited Speaker at the workshop on ‘biclustering of microarray data’, Hasselt University, Diepenbeek, Belgium. Title: Order restricted clustering, November. 2010.
Teaching and Supervision
Dr Farrants Kirstin (October 2012 – December 2015)
The recommodification of the social determinants of health
Dr Matheys Kate (November 2013 - November 2016)
Austerity, inequality and mental health: A case study of Stockton-on-Tees
Mr Ramjee Bhandari (October 2014 – September 2017)
Geographies of health inequalities in a time of austerity: A case study of Stockton-on-Tees
Mr Eleojo Abubakar (October 2016 – September 2019)
Modelling socio-spatial variations in the geographic coverage of healthcare for efficient health service planning
Dr Martin Otava (October 2011 – September 2015)
Modelling high dimensional dose-response data
Dr Nolen Joy Perualila (September 2011 – October 2015)
Integrative methods for the analysis of structure- transcription-assay relationships in drug discovery and early development
Ms Marijke Van Moerbeke (October 2014 - October 2018)
Differential splicing detection in early drug development experiments
Mr Ewoud De Troyer (October 2014 - October 2018)
Challenges in integrated data analysis for bioinformatics and big data structures
Indicators of Esteem
- 2017: Independent evaluator:
Education Endowment Foundation, London, UK, since 2013
- 2017: Visiting Research Associate: Visiting Research Associate, Rutgers Institute for Data Science, Learning and Applications, Rutgers University, USA
- 2014: Durham University's 'Exceptional contribution point': Awarded Durham University’s `Exceptional contribution point’ in 2014
- 2014: Encore Award: Encore award (Johnson & Johnson recognition award) in recognition of a special achievement: Excellence in research on QSTAR, 2014
- 2006: Awarded University of Hasselt PhD Scholarship: Awarded University of Hasselt PhD scholarship in Statistical Bioinformatics, 2006
- 2005: Awarded Vlaamse Interuniveristaire Raad (VLIR, Belgium) scholarship for MSc in Biostatistics, 2005:
- 2004: Awarded Vlaamse Interuniveristaire Raad (VLIR, Belgium) scholarship for MSc in Applied Statistics, 2004:
- 2016 - 2022, Co-Director: Research Centre in Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Gondar University, Ethiopia.
Department of Geography
- Evaluating the County Durham Worklessness and Health Support Programme, County Durham Primary Care Trust, £550,000 (2009-2014)
- Health Inequalities in an Age of Austerity, Leverhulme Trust Research Leadership Grant, £1 million (2013-2018)
- Tackling Inequalities in Obesity, NIHR, £207,000 (2011 - 2014)
School of Education
- Development of the Teaching and Learning Toolkit and NPD Analysis and Data Archive Support
- Evaluation of Calderdale : Improving writing quality, using SRSD and memorable experiences
- Kasim, A, Shkedy, Z, Kaiser, S, Hochreiter, S, & Talloen, W (2016). Applied Biclustering methods for big and high-dimensional data using R. CRC Press.
Chapter in book
- Kasim, A, Van Sanden, S, Otava, M, Hochreirter, S, Clevert, DA, Talloen, W & Lin, D (2012). δ-biclustering of Monotone Profiles. In Modelling Dose-Response Microarray Data in Early Drug Development Experiments using R. Lin, D., Shkedy, Z., Yekutieli, D., Amaratunga, D. & Bijnens, L Springer. 135-149.
- Kasim, A, Shkedy, Z & Kato, B (2012). Estimation and inference under simple order restrictions: Hierarchical Bayesian Approach. In Modeling Dose-response Microarray Data in Early Drug Development Experiments Using R. Lin, D., Shkedy, Z., Yekutieli, D., Amaratunga, D. & Bijnens, L. Springer. 193-213.
- Kasim A., Skhedy Z., Lin D., Van Sanden S., Cortinas J., Gohlmann H.W., Bijnens L., Yekutieli D., Camilleri M., Aerssens J. & Talloen W. (2010), Translating Gene Signatures Across Tissues: A Statistical View, in Arabnia, Hamid R. & Tran, Quoc-Nam. eds, 1: WORLDCOMP'10: The 2010 International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology. Las Vegas, CSREA Press, Las Vegas, 298-301.
- Farrants, K., Bambra, C., Nylen, L., Kasim, A., Bustrom, B. & Hunter, D. (2017). The recommodification of Healthcare? A case study of user charges and inequalities in access to healthcare in Sweden 1980-2005. Health Policy 121(1): 42-49.
- Perualila-Tan, N., Kasim, A., Talloen, W., Verbist, B., Goehlmann Hinrich, W. H. & and QSTAR Consortium. (2016). A joint modeling approach for uncovering associations between gene expression, bioactivity and chemical structure in early drug discovery to guide lead selection and genomic biomarker development. Statistical applications in genetics and molecular biology 15: 291.
- Dhanoya, T., Sievert, L. L., Muttukrishna, S., Begum, K., Sharmeen, T., Kasim, A., Osul Chowdhury, O. & Bentley, R.G. (2016). Hot flushes and reproductive hormone levels during the menopausal transition. Maturitas 89: 43-51.
- Awoke,T, Worku,A, Kebede,Y, Kasim,A, Birlie,B, Braekers,R, Zuma,K & Shkedy,Z (2016). Modeling outcomes of first-Line antiretroviral therapy and rate of CD4 counts change among a cohort of HIV/AIDS patients in Ethiopia: A retrospective cohort study. PLOS ONE 11(12).
- Farrants, K., Bambra, C., Nylen, L., Kasim, A., Burstrom, B. & Hunter, D. (2016). Recommodification, unemployment, and health inequalities: Trends in England and Sweden 1991–2011. International Journal of Health Services 46(2): 300-324.
- Adam,Z, Turley,A, Mason, J.M, Kasim, A.S, Newby,D, Mills, N, Padfield,G, Thompson,L, Morley,R, Hall,J.A, Wright,R.A, Muir,D.F, Sutton,A.G.C, Swanson, N, Carter,J, Bilous,R, Jones,S & de Belder,M.A (2016). The SSTARS (STeroids and Stents Against Re-Stenosis) Trial: Different stent alloys and the use of peri-procedural oral corticosteroids to prevent in-segment restenosis after percutaneous coronary intervention. International Journal of Cardiology 216: 1-8.
- Perualila-Tan, N. J., Shkedy, Z., Talloen, W., Göhlmann, H. W. H., Moerbeke, M. V. & Kasim, A. (2016). Weighted similarity-based clustering of chemical structures and bioactivity data in early drug discovery. Journal of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology 14(4).
- Copeland, A., Bambra, C., Nylén, L., Kasim, A.S., Riva, M., Curtis, S. & Burström, B. (2015). All in it together? The effects of recession on population health and health inequalities in England and Sweden, 1991 to 2010. International Journal of Health Services 45(1): 3-24.
- Ravindranath, A.C., Perualila-Tan, N., Kasim, A., Drakakis, G., Liggi, S., Brewerton, S.C., Mason, D., Bodkin, M.J., Evans, D.A., Bhagwat, A., Talloen, W., Göhlmann, H.W.H., QSTAR Consortium, Shkedy, Z. & Bender, A. (2015). Connecting gene expression data from connectivity map and in silico target predictions for small molecule mechanism-of-action analysis. Molecular BioSystems 11(1): 86-96.
- Copeland, A., Kasim, A. & Bambra, C. (2015). Grim up North or Northern Grit? Recessions and the English spatial health divide (1991-2010). Journal of Public Health 37(1): 34-39.
- Bambra, C., Hillier, F., Cairns, J., Kasim, A., Moore, H. & Summerbell, C. (2015). How effective are interventions at reducing socioeconomic inequalities in obesity among children and adults? Two systematic reviews. Public Health Research 3(1): 1.
- Hillier-Brown, F.C., Bambra, C.L., Cairns-Nagi, J.M., Kasim, A., Moore, H.J. & Summerbell, C.D. (2014). A systematic review of the effectiveness of individual, community and societal level interventions at reducing socioeconomic inequalities in obesity amongst adults. International Journal of Obesity 38(12): 1483-1490.
- Hillier-Brown, F.C., Bambra, C.L., Cairns, J.-M., Kasim, A., Moore, H.J. & Summerbell, C.D. (2014). A systematic review of the effectiveness of individual, community and societal level interventions at reducing socioeconomic inequalities in obesity amongst children. BMC Public Health 14: 834.
- Sayal, K, Merrell, C, Tymms, P & Kasim, A (2014). Academic outcomes following a school-based RCT for ADHD: 6 year follow up. Journal of Attention Disorders
- Todd, A., Moore, H.J., Husband, A., Bambra, C., Kasim, A., Sniehotta, F., Steed, L. & Summerbell, C.D. (2014). Community pharmacy interventions for public health priorities: protocol for a systematic review of community pharmacy-delivered smoking, alcohol and weight management interventions. Systematic Reviews 3: 93.
- Otava, M., Shkedy, Z., Lin, D., Göhlmann, H., Bijnens, L., Talloen, W. & Kasim, A. (2014). Dose–Response Modeling Under Simple Order Restrictions Using Bayesian Variable Selection Methods. Statistics in Biopharmaceutical Research 6(3): 252-262.
- Sarfo, F.S., Sarfo, M.A., Kasim, A., Phillips, R., Booth, M. & Chadwick D. (2014). Long-term effectiveness of first-line non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI)-based antiretroviral therapy in Ghana. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 69(1): 254-261.
- Sarfo, FS, Kasim, A, Phillips, R, Geretti, AM & Chadwick, DR (2014). Long-term responses to first-line antiretroviral therapy in HIV and hepatitis B co-infection in Ghana. Journal of Infection
- Otava, M., Shkedy, Z. & Kasim, A. (2014). Prediction of gene expression in human using rat in vivo gene expression in Japanese Toxicogenomics Project. Systems Biomedicine 2(1): 8-15.
- Habib-Mourad, C., Ghandour, L., Moore, H., Nabhani-Zeidan, M., Kasim, A., Hwalla, N. & Summerbell, C. (2014). Promoting healthy eating and physical activity among school children: findings from Health-E-PALS, the first pilot intervention from Lebanon. BMC Public Health 14: 940.
- Khamiakova, T, Shkedy, Z, Amaratunga, D, Talloen, W, Gohlmann, H, Bijnens, L & Kasim, A (2014). Quality control of platinum spike dataset by probe-level mixed models. Mathematical Biosciences 248: 1-10.
- Kasim, A, Shkedy, Z, Lin, D, Van Sanden, S, Abrahantes, JC, Goehlmann, H & et al (2014). Translation of Disease Associated Gene Signatures across Tissues. International Journal of Data Mining and Bioinformatics
- Robinson, A, Light, D, Kasim, A & Nice, C (2013). A systematic review and meta-analysis of the role of radiology in the diagnosis of occult inguinal hernia. Surgical Endoscopy 27(1): 11-18.
- Forcheh, AC, Verbeke, G, Kasim, A, Lin, D & Shkedy, Z (2013). The beadarrayFilter: an R Package to filter beads. The R Journal 5(1): 171-181.
- Bijens, L, Van Den Bergh, A, Sinha, V, Geys, H, Molenberghs, G, Verbeke, T, Kasim, A, Straetemans, R, De Ridder, F & Balmain-Mackie, C (2012). A meta-analytical approach to allometric scaling to include historical data. Statistics in Biopharmaeutical Research 4(2): 205-215.
- Forcheh, Anyiawung Chiara, Clement, Lieven, Kasim, Adetayo, Lin, Dan, Shkedy, Ziv, Verbeke, Geert, Talloen, Willem & Göhlmann, Hinrich (2012). Gene Filtering in the Analysis of Illumina Microarray Experiments. Statistical Application in Genetics and Molecular Biology 11(2).
- Forcheh, AC, Verbeke G, Kasim, A, Lin, D, Shkedy, Z & et al (2012). Gene filtering in the analysis of illumina microarray experiments. Statistical applications in genetics and molecular biology 11(2): 3.
- Mariwah, S., Hampshire, K. & Kasim, A. (2012). The impact of gender and physical environment on the handwashing behaviour of university students in Ghana. Tropical Medicine & International Health 17(4): 447-454.
- Zhu Qi, Kasim Adetayo, Valkenborg Dirk & Burzykowski Tomasz (2011). A Bayesian Model Averaging Approach to the Quantification of Overlapping Peptides in an MALDI-TOF Mass Spectrum. International Journal of Proteomics 2011: 928391.
- Del Fava, E, Kasim, A, Usman, M, Shkedy, Z, Hens, N, Aerts, M, Bollaerts, K, Scalia Tomba, G, Vickerman, P, Sutton, AJ, Wiessing L, & Kretzschmar, M (2011). Joint modeling of HCV and HIV Infections among injecting drug users in italy using repeated cross-sectional prevalance data. Statistical Communications in Infectious Diseases 3(1): 1948 - 4690.
- Del Fava, Emanuele, Kasim, Adetayo, Usman, Muhammad, Shkedy, Ziv, Hens, Niel, Aerts, Marc, Bollaerts, Kaatje, Scalia Tomba, Gianpaolo, Vickerman, Peter, Sutton, Andrew J., Wiessing, Lucas & Kretzschmar, Mirjam (2011). Joint Modeling of HCV and HIV Infections among Injecting Drug Users in Italy Using Repeated Cross-Sectional Prevalence Data. Statistical Communications in Infectious Diseases 3(1): 1.
- Thilakarathne Pushpike J., Clement Lieven, Verbeke Geert, Lin Dan, Shkedy Ziv, Kasim Adetayo, Talloen Willem & Versele Matthias (2011). The Use of Semi-parametric Mixed Models to Analyze PamChip Peptide Array Data: an Application to an Oncology Experiment. Bioinformatics 27(20): 2859 - 2865.
- Hochreiter S., Bodenhofer U., Heusel M., Mayr A., Mitterecker A., Kasim A., Khamiakova T., Van Sanden S., Lin D., Talloen W., Bijnens L., Ghlmann H.W., Shkedy Z. & Clevert D.A. (2010). FABIA: factor analysis for bicluster acquisition. Bioinformatics. Bioinformatics 26(12): 1520-1527.
- Talloen Willem, Hochreiter Sepp, Bijnens Luc, Kasim Adetayo, Shkedy Ziv, Amaratunga Dhammika & Goehlmann Hinrich (2010). Filtering data from high-throughput experiments based on measurement reliability. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 107 (46): E173-E174.
- Kasim Adetayo, Lin Dan, Van Sanden Suzy, Clevert Djork-Arn, Bijnens Luc, Goehlmann Hinrich, Amaratunga Dhammika, Hochreiter Sepp, Shkedy Ziv & Talloen Willem (2010). Informative or Noninformative Calls for Gene Expression: A Latent Variable Approach. Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology Vol. 9 (1): Article 4.
- Valkenborg Dirk, Van Sanden Suzy, Lin Dan, Kasim Adetayo, Zhu Qi, Haldermans Philippe, Jansen Ivy, Shkedy Ziv & Burzykowski Tomasz (2008). A Cross-Validation Study to Select a Classification Procedure for Clinical Diagnosis Based on Proteomic Mass Spectrometry. Statistical Application in Genetics and Molecular Biology 7 (2): Article 12.
- 2018: • McErlane, F., Hawley, D., Ramanan, A., Foster, H., Beresford, M., Hyrich, K., Rapley, T., Kasim, A., Craig, D., Tzelis, D., Wright, C. and Wilkinson J. Targeted Care Pathway Study in Polyarticular Pattern Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: a Randomised Controlled Trial (TARGET-JIA). NIHR Health Technology Assessment. 2018 – 2022. £1,490,433. (Under review)
- 2018: Steel, D., Henein, C., Maier, R., Hancock, H., Kasim, A., Shen, J., Talks, J. Vaidenau-Collins, D. and Chakravarthy, U. Near infrared light to re-establish visual function in patients with Intermediate dry-AMD (THEIA). NIHR Research for Patient Benefit, 2018 – 2020. £349,954. (Under review)
- 2017: Ball, H., Galbally, M., Kasim, A., Kodama, H., Lewis, A., Luijk, M., Rudzik, A., Russell, C., Teti, D. and Yoshida, M. Contexts and consequences of parental vulnerability to sleep disruption in early infancy: a comparative longitudinal study. Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), 2017-2022. £1,000,000. (Under review)
- 2017: Grahame, V., Le Couteur, A., Rodgers, J., Fletcher-Watson, S., Riby, D., O'Hare, A., Dixon, L., Kasim, A., Becker, F. and Garland, D. Repetitive behaviours in ASD. NIHR Health Technology Assessment. 2017 – 2020. £1,266,573. (Under review)
- 2017: Hampshire, K., Castelli, M., Kasim. A., Albert, A., Mariwah, S., Robson, E., Kassahun, A. and Shkedy, Z. Building an evidence base to support and enhance community health workers’ (informal) use of mobile phones in Ghana, Malawi and Ethiopia. Medical Research Council (MRC). 2017- 2019. £198,013.
- 2017: Kasim, A., Maier, R. and Hancock, H. In Clinic Evaluation of Noctura 400 Sleep Mask. South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, 2017. £59,000. (Consultancy)
- 2017: Pollard, T., Guell, C., Atkinson, S., Kasim, A. and Audrey, S. Why women walk: Explaining variation across the life-course in women's everyday walking. Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC). 2017 – 2019. £ 559,894. (Under review)
- 2016: Akowuah, E., Hancock, H., Maier, R., Kasim, A., Zacharias, J., Deshpande, R., Birdi, I., Livesey, S., Stewart, M., Murphy, G., Vale, L. Multicentre randomised controlled trial of minimally invasive thoracoscopically-guided right minithoracotomy versus conventional sternotomy for mitral valve repair, NIHR Health Technology Assessment, 2016-2021. £1,513,690.
- 2016: Standard Deviation as an Outcome of Interventions: A Methodological Investigation (£2809.00 from Education Endowment Foundation)
- 2016: Tymms, P. and Kasim, A. Standard Deviation as an Outcome of Interventions: A Methodological Investigation. Education Endowment Foundation, 2016-2017. £6,411
- 2016: UK Mini-Mitral (£481971.00 from NIHR)
- 2015: Big Local Project - Phase 2 (£7851.00 from NIHR)
- 2015: Development of the Teaching and Learning Toolkit and NPD Analysis and Data Archive Support (£36152.00 from Education Endowment Foundation)
- 2015: Higgins, S. and Kasim, A. Development of the teaching and learning toolkit, analysis of National Pupil Database (NPD) and data archive support. Education Endowment Foundation, 2015-2018. £489,407.
- 2015: Kasim, A. Meta-analysis of repeated diagnostic tests. Zoetis, Zaventem, Belgium, 2015. £15,600. (Consultancy)
- 2015: Kasim, A. Randomisation project. Education Endowment Foundation, UK. 2015. £8,000. (Consultancy)
- 2015: Torgerson, C., Torgerson, D., Ainsworth, H., Hewitt, C., Kasim, A., Kokotsaki, D. and Mitchell, N. Calderdale II: Improving writing quality using self-regulated strategy development (SRSD) and memorable experiences. Education Endowment Foundation, 2015-2018. £228,806.
- 2014: Akowuah E, Hancock HC, Maier R, Kasim A, Goodwin A, Owens WAO, Murphy G, Mason JM. Manubrium-limited ministernotomy versus conventional sternotomy for aortic valve replacement: A randomised controlled trial (MAVRIC). NIHR RfPB. 2014-2018. £337,000
- 2014: Calderdale 2 (£2879.00 from Education Endowment Foundation)
- 2014: Community pharmacy interventions around alcohol misuse, smoking cessation and weight management (£122262.63 from NIHR)
- 2014: Kasim, A. Bayesian evaluation of open cows. Zoetis, Zaventem, Belgium, 2014. £13,000. (Consultancy)
- 2013: Summerbell C, Todd A, Husband A, Bambra C, Kasim A, Moore H, and Sniehotta F. Community Pharmacy interventions for public health priorities: A systematic review of community pharmacy delivered smoking, alcohol and weight management interventions. NIHR Public Health Research 2013-2014. £138,494
- 2013: Tiffin, P., Finn, G., Beckmann, J., McLachlan, J., Kasim, A., Webster, L. and Mawn, L. Increasing research capacity in the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT). UKCAT Board, 2013-2017. £180,000.
- 2012: Booth, M. and Kasim, A. Evaluating Gateshead community engagement projects. Gateshead Primary Care Trust, 2012. £8,545.
- 2012: Evaluation of the Norfolk Council Rapid Phonics Project (£3710.00 from Education Endowment Foundation)
- 2012: Evaluation of the Real Action Butterfly Project (£2983.00 from Education Endowment Foundation)
- 2012: QSTAR Project (£50673.27 from Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V.)
- 2012: SHINE (£2416.00 from Education Endowment Foundation)
- 2011: Arnott, B., Tiffin, P. and Kasim, A. Behavioural activation in obese and depressed youth. Health Innovation and Education Cluster (HIEC), 2011. £25,000.