Anglican Studies Research Seminar
Convenor: Canon Professor Michael Snape (email@example.com)
Meetings: Selected Wednesdays (4.00-5.30pm), usually in Seminar Room C (D/TH107), Dept. of Theology & Religion, Abbey House, DH1 3RS, Durham (please check each entry for details).
This seminar series is organised by the Michael Ramsey Centre for Anglican Studies, which was formed in 2016 to promote pioneering interdisciplinary research into the global Anglican tradition in all its depth and diversity.
The series aims to examine the life, thought and heritage of the Anglican Communion from a multidisciplinary perspective, drawing on the study of theology and spirituality, liturgy, music, literature, history, philosophy, ethics, ecumenism and comparative religion.
It seeks to gather prominent guest speakers, research staff and postgraduate students from a range of Durham University departments, as well as members of the Church and wider public.
They are free and welcome all. No advanced booking is required.
To view and download the latest Michael Ramsey Centre for Anglican Studies events programme, please click below:
- Michael Ramsey Centre for Anglican Studies Events Programme (2018-2019) (last modified: 8 October 2018)
There are no seminars in this series for the dates selected.
- 19 June 2019 18:30: Michael Ramsey Lecture: Trinity as Sacrifice - Prof Katherine Sonderegger, Virginia Theological Seminary
- 1 May 2019 16:00: On Disagreement - Prof Mike Higton, Durham University
- 13 March 2019 17:30: Bishop Van Mildert Annual Lecture: Religion in the Ruins: Anglicans, Democracy and Reconstruction, 1939-51 - Dr Matthew Grimley, Merton College, Oxford
- 13 February 2019 16:00: Anglican Communion Office Seminar: The Season of Intentional Discipleship in the Anglican Communion - Canon John Kafwanka, Director of Mission, Anglican Communion Office
- 6 February 2019 16:00: The Secret Lives of Elderly Anglican Laywomen - Prof Abby Day, Goldsmiths, University of London
- 30 January 2019 16:00: Anglicans and Aviation: The First World War and the Origins of Chaplaincy in the RAF - Prof Michael Snape, Durham University
- 5 December 2018 16:00: Anglican Communion Office Seminar: Anglicanism and Communion in Spirit - Bishop Victor Atta-Baffoe, Bishop of Cape Coast, Ghana
- 31 October 2018 18:30: The Robbins Lecture: The Myth of the “Good” War: Theological Perspectives on Moral Injury and Original Sin - Dr Brian Powers, Durham University
- 24 October 2018 18:15: The Henson Lecture: Raising Lazarus or Raising Cain? The Vocation of the Church in Contemporary Britain - The Rev. Lucy Winkett, Rector of St. James’s, Piccadilly
- 17 October 2018 16:00: Exploring the Theology of Divine Revelation - Prof Paul Avis, Durham University
- 13 June 2018 18:30: * The Michael Ramsey Lecture: "The Monasticism of My Community is Jihad" Islam and Sacred Violence, Past and Present * - Tom Holland
- 25 April 2018 16:00: Mission Theology/Anglican Communion Lecture: The Largest Anglican Church Nigerian Anglicanism, 1980 to the Present - Dr Richard Burgess, University of Roehampton
- 14 March 2018 16:00: POSTPONED - Dr Susan Royal, Durham University
- 7 March 2018 17:30: POSTPONED Bishop Van Mildert Annual Lecture: Religion in the Ruins: War, Reconstruction and the Church of England, 1939-45 - Dr Matthew Grimley, Merton College, Oxford
- 28 February 2018 16:00: POSTPONED -
- 13 February 2018 16:00: Anglican Communion Office Seminar: The Season of Intentional Discipleship in the Anglican Communion - Canon John Kafwanka, Director of Mission, Anglican Communion Office
- 7 February 2018 16:00: Anglicans at Sea? The Royal Navy and the Church of England in the Era of the First World War - Professor Michael Snape, Durham University
- 31 January 2018 16:00: Radical Incarnationalism: E. B. Pusey and an Oxford Movement Ressourcement - Revd Dr George Westhaver, Pusey House, Oxford
- 6 December 2017 16:00: The Origins of Anglican Moral Theology, 1590-1680: Perkins, Hooker, Sanderson and Taylor - Canon Dr Peter Sedgwick, William Temple Foundation
- 15 November 2017 18:30: * The Robbins Lecture: Centenary Reflections on The Church in the Furnace: Can the Church of England learn from the British Army? * - The Venerable Stephen Robbins CB
- 18 October 2017 16:00: Devices and Desires: Affect Theory and the Plausibility of Sin in Late Modernity - Dr Simeon Zahl, University of Nottingham
- 3 May 2017 16:00: Mission Theology Annual Lecture: Title TBC - Revd Dr Daniel Jeyaraj, Liverpool Hope University
- 26 April 2017 16:00: The Anglican Church in Congo: Local and Global Perspectives - Revd Dr David Goodhew and Dr Emma Wild-Wood
- 1 March 2017 16:00: Towards the Centenary of the Lambeth Appeal to All Christian People Does Anglicanism Still Have an Ecumenical Vocation? - Canon Dr Jeremy Worthen
- 22 February 2017 16:00: Mission Theology seminar: Indian Christian Reactions to Anti-Conversion: An Overview and Some Proposals - Dr Muthuraj Swamy, Union Biblical Seminary, Pune
- 8 February 2017 16:00: Mission Theology seminar: Linking African Concepts of God, Proverbs and Prayers to Christian Theology and Spirituality - Revd Prof. John Mbiti, University of Bern
- 25 January 2017 16:00: J.N. Figgis: A Reappraisal - Dr Dominic Welburn, Oxford Brookes University
- 14 December 2016 16:00: Michael Ramsey and the Reformation - Prof. Paul Avis, University of Exeter
- 23 November 2016 16:00: Mission Theology seminar: Gender and Sustainable Development in Africa - Lydia Mwaniki
- 16 November 2016 19:30: ARCIC seminar: The work of ARCIC III from Anglican and Catholic Perspectives - Canon Dr John Gibaut, Rt. Rev. Linda Nicholls, Bishop of Huron, and Prof. Paul D. Murray, Durham University
- 3 November 2016 18:15: Henson Lecture: Seeing the Established Church as a Serious Political Player - Frank Field MP
- 2 November 2016 16:00: Mission Theology seminar: “This is My Body and this is My Blood”: Implications for Mission Theology - Elizabeth Joy, King's College
- 26 October 2016 16:00: Local Anxieties and the Global Dispute over Human Sexuality in the Anglican Communion - Prof. Chris Brittain, University of Aberdeen
There are no other announcements currently available. Please check again later...