Current Postgraduate Research Students
Dr Robert Mark Jaggs-Fowler, CStJ MB BS LLM MA FRCGP FRSA
I read medicine from 1980-1985, qualifying as a medical practitioner from the Charing Cross Hospital Medical School, London. After five years of postgraduate hospital and GP vocational training, I further qualified as a General Medical Practitioner in 1990. From 1990, I was a GP Principal in a large rural, dispensing, teaching practice in Barton upon Humber, North Lincolnshire, from where I retired as the senior partner in January 2016. I remain a Fellow of the Royal College of General Practitioners, and I am still registered with the General Medical Council with a licence to practice.
In addition to the above, I am the Medical Director and Director of Primary Care for NHS North Lincolnshire Clinical Comissioning Group, and an elected member of its Governing Body. As part of my CCG role, I am the Safeguarding Doctor (Children and Adults), the Clinical Lead for Mental Health Services and Unplanned Care, the Armed Forces & Veterans Champion, and the Lead Clinician for the Healthy Lives Healthy Futures programme for Northern Lincolnshire. I also undertake work as a GP Appraiser for NHS England, and am an elected member of the Local Medical Committee.
Over the past few years I have been introducing chaplaincy to Primary Care (GP surgeries) in North Lincolnshire, working in conjunction with the Lincoln Diocese and Lincolnshire Chaplaincy Services (of which I am a trustee and director). The aim is to try to roll primary healthcare chaplaincy out across the diocese.
I served as a Commissioned Officer in 250 Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps (Territorial Army) for eleven years, ultimately becoming Second-in-Command of the unit, before retiring in 2000 in the rank of Major.
I have the honour of being a Commander of the Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem. I have served as a volunteer member of the St John Ambulance for over 46 years, involving many senior appointments including County Commander (Humberside), Acting Chief Medical Officer (England), and Assistant Chief Commander (England). For several years, I was a trustee for the Priory of England & the Islands, and am now the County President for Humberside, and a member of the national Priory Ceremonial Group.
I have a varied writing portfolio. In addition to the publications listed below, I wrote a weekly health-related column for the Scunthorpe Telegraph (part of The Mirror Group) from 2010-2016, and a monthly 'anecdotes from medicine' column for The Journal (a Lincolnshire society magazine) from 2012-2016.
My Master of Laws is in Medical Law and Ethics (De Montfort University, Leicester, 2011), and I was awarded a Master of Arts in Spirituality, Theology and Health from Durham University in 2015.
From a faith perspective, I describe myself as an Anglican-Benedictine- Contemplative. I have a particular interest in the inter-relationship between Christian theology and medical practice. In addition to my current PhD research, I am an ordinand in the Church of England, and undertaking the Postgraduate Diploma in Mission and Ministry at the Lincoln School of Theology,
- Theology of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Theology & ministry of Albert Schweitzer
- God's Commission
- Christian theology of medical practice
- Theology of medical ethics
- Chaplaincy in primary healthcare
- Spirituality, theology and health
- Modern Monasticism
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (Submitted). The Physician-Priest in the 21st Century.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (Forthcoming). Through The Eye of a Stethoscope: Tales from a Country GP.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (Planned). Travels Beyond the Liberal Arts: Theology, Law, Medicine & Science. Collected Essays.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2017). On Quarry Beach (Collected Poems 2008-2013). Troubador.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2015). Lamplight in the Shadows (a novel). Troubador.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2013). The Law and Medicine: Friend or Nemesis?. Radcliffe.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2008). A Journey with Time (Collected Poems). Lulu.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2012). Book Review: 'The Dying Keats: A Case for Euthanasia?' by Brian Livesley. Pulse
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2006). The Medical Detective: Jon Snow and the Mystery of Cholera. GP (10 November 2006).
Chapter in book
- Duffy, Maureen, Ross, Maureen & Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2013). An Ex-Pat's Lament (poem). In Ours: A Poetry Anthology. Fantastic Books Publishing.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2010). My Neighbour's Lawn (poem). In Fathom Ten. Triplow, Nick Fathom Press.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2015). The GP Author. GP (04 May 2015).
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2012). Perhaps try a different tack? (Letters). BMJ (344).
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2011). Clinical Governance. InnovAiT 4(10): 592-595.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2015). The Healing Enigma: The Physician-Priest in the 21st Century. Masters.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2010). From Autonomous Quacks to Fettered Professionals: Is the Law Medicine's Friend or Nemesis? Masters.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2014). For a while I masqueraded as a greetings card salesman. Pulse (02 June 2014).
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2013). The Project for Spirituality, Theology and Health at Durham University: A Personal Reflection. Way of Life 46(2): 32-35.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2012). In Pursuit of the Recently Departed. The Funeral Director 95(02): 19-21.
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2007). More than just empty rhetoric is needed, Mr Brown (Letters). The Daily Telegraph (29 June 2007).
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2006). Men in Black: St John Ambulance. Pulse (2 February 2006).
- Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2005). Christianity in the Bible Belt of America (Letters). The Daily Telegraph (03 September 2005).
- Lewiston, Denis & Jaggs-Fowler, Robert (2002). Chasing Rainbows - Film Script.