Year 13 Support
The Sutton Trust team and student mentors are here to help you with the transition to university. Here you will find information on:
- Choosing a university: firm and insurance choices
- Student Finance explained
- Effective Revision
- Exam Technique
Later in the year we will be providing advice on various topics to help you reach your goals. If there are any aspects of university life or Year 13 that you feel we may be able to help with through the website, let us know via email using the address on the right.
What kind of Year 13 support have we offered?
Last year we provided a series of resources to provide support for Year 13 students. We hope to provide more resources this academic year, and would certainly welcome any recommendations for areas that you would like to see covered. Please use the contact details on the right to submit any suggestions that you have.
Below is an example of the resources we put together last year:
Choices Q + A video
You were asked to submit your questions to the 'Choosing a University' page and we answered them in an FAQ video. You can see it on just below on this page.
Information on effective revision
You asked us for more support with effective revision. We worked with the Careers Service and English Language Centre to provide you with revision techniques for your exams. The information was collated and can be found using the link at the top.
FAQs answered by the Sutton Trust Team
You should always put your favourite university as your Firm choice, even if you think it is at the upper limit of what you can achieve. If you put your favourite university as an Insurance, and a lower-offer university as your Firm, you risk your Insurance offer being declined automatically by UCAS by default, whether or not you meet the grades: if you do get the grades, you will automatically go to your Firm choice university with the lower offer, and if you miss the grades for your Firm choice, you will also miss your Insurance in this circumstance. There may be the option to go through Adjustment, but there is no guarantee. Find out more about choosing a university: www.durham.ac.uk/sutton.trust/year13support Find out more about UCAS Adjustment: www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/adjustment-–-if-you’ve-done-better-expected Music: www.bensound.com
The Sutton Trust team discuss what factors are important when choosing a University, and what makes our students choose Durham. You can download our choices checklist by clicking the link to 'Choosing a university' at the top of the page.
The Sutton Trust Team, Durham University
Access and Student Recruitment
The Palatine Centre, Stockton Road
0191 334 9194
Durham University Student Recruitment & Admissions Office. Tweeting advice on admissions and event information.
- We're excited for our #DUpostgraduate Open Day to start. We hope all those attending have a great time and find out… https://t.co/XqytrVmOBe
Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- We're looking forward to welcoming you to discover your future at the #DUpostgraduate Open Day, Amy! https://t.co/nguZCcCZM2
Tweeted on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 10:39:54 +0000
- RT @DUSofE: Explore all your teacher training routes into Teaching open day Friday 24th
Tweeted on Fri, 27 Oct 2017 10:25:08 +0100
- RT @ucas_online: Wondering when you'll hear back from unis? If you applied by 15 Oct, they have until 3 May to make their decisions…
Tweeted on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:14:52 +0100
- @AStewartWriter We're looking forward to seeing you too, Amy! #DUpostgraduate
Tweeted on Fri, 13 Oct 2017 12:05:39 +0100
- Want to explore postgraduate study at @durham_uni? Our #DUpostgraduate Open Days are a great way to find out more! https://t.co/q2CooV56Eb
Tweeted on Thu, 12 Oct 2017 10:38:42 +0100
- RT @durham_uni: A big thank you to everyone who helped make today's #DUOpenDay happen, we had a wonderful time and hope you did too! https:…
Tweeted on Sat, 23 Sep 2017 16:40:58 +0100
- RT @hotstonmoore: Really impressed with @durham_uni , computer science courses and the city - shame only here for a day #university…
Tweeted on Sat, 23 Sep 2017 16:08:50 +0100
- RT @HatfieldColLib: Welcome to all #DUOpenDay visitors, esp to those interested in @HatfieldCollege. @Durham_uni is great, you'll love…
Tweeted on Sat, 23 Sep 2017 16:01:23 +0100
- RT @NouraAlMoubayed: Our robot is loving the attention on open day #Robot #Fun #OpenDay @furhatrobotics @comp_sci_durham @durham_uni https:…
Tweeted on Sat, 23 Sep 2017 15:59:05 +0100