Who is eligible to apply?
Applicants to the Supported Progression Programme must fulfill our strict eligibility criteria. Application forms must be fully completed and submitted to us.
- Applicants must be in Year 12 or equivalent.
- Applicants must be attending a state school or college in the North East or Cumbria.
We are looking for applicants meeting all or most of these criteria:
- will be the first generation in their family to attend university
- have achieved at least 5 As or A*s at GCSE or equivalent
- are taking subjects in relation to the subject stream they are applying for
- attend schools or colleges with a low overall GCSE and/or A-Level, Higher/Advanced Higher (or equivalent) point score and/or schools or colleges with low progression rates to higher education*
- come from neighbourhoods with low overall progression rates to higher education or high levels of socio economic deprivation**
- are (or have been) looked after, accommodated or in care
- are under the age of 18 at the time of the summer school
- Applicants will normally be holding UK or EU nationality. If you do not have UK or EU nationality please contact us for further advice.
This criteria is used to identify students with merit and potential who are currently under represented in higher education. Further details can be found on our website: www.durham.ac.uk/supported.progression/post16
** Please see http://acorn.caci.co.uk/
The Application Form gives you the opportunity, through a supporting statement, to outline your motivations for wanting to be part of the scheme, and your teacher will have an opportunity to write a reference demonstrating your potential, motivation to succeed and any personal circumstances which may have affected your performance so far.
Access and Student Recruitment Office, The Palatine Building, Durham University, Stockton Road, Durham DH1 3LE