Durham Inspired: Racecourse Scholarship
The Racecourse Sport Scholarship is for talented and ambitious young sportsmen and women from lower income households who want to combine elite level sport with further education at Durham University. In particular, we encourage rugby players to apply but sportsmen and women from other sports are eligible for the Racecourse Sport Scholarship. Applicants must have played their respective sport to a high standard with regional or national experience preferred.
One scholarship is available for applicants planning to commence their undergraduate studies at Durham in 2021-22, and who are able to demonstrate exceptional potential in their chosen sport.
The Racecourse scholarship is worth £4,000 per academic year, for the full term of the students degree: up to four years of an undergradaute course.
This scholarship has been gifted by two university rugby club alumni who want to provide the same opportunity they were afforded, as well as offering informal mentorship thoughout the scholar's time at the University. It is hoped the scholar will represent Durham at the highest levels of University sport and be able to undetake leadership development opportunities.
Applicants must have a household income below £42,875 (2019-20 rates) based on an assessment carried out by Student Finance England.
Please submit your assessment letter as soon as you can to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful applicants will be able to demonstrate an exceptional level of potential and excellence in Rugby or another Sport.
Applicants should also be able to demonstrate participation in sporting events at a regional or national level.
£4,000 per year for a maximum of 4 years
All undergraduate programmes
Stage 1: submit an academic application to Durham University, by 29th January 2021, via UCAS
Stage 2: submit an online scholarship application form by 28th February 2021, and provide:
1. A Personal Statement explaining why you should be awarded a Racecourse Sport Scholarship. This is part of the online application form.
2. A YouTube link to a video approximately 2 minutes in length in which you should explain:
- What difference the Racecourse Scholarship would make to you;
- Demonstrate your exceptional potential in Sport, including information on any recent performance levels;
- How you would use this scholarship to progress your career aspirations, particularly in the area of Leadership.
3. A reference of no more than 1,000 words from a suitable adult (e.g. a coach) explaining why you are suitable to be awarded a Racecourse Scholarship sent directly from the referee to email@example.com.
- Please ensure your referee submits the reference on letter headed paper which contains their name, position, contact details and your full name..
All eligible applications will be considerd by a panel of colleagues with expertise in the field of Sport
For further information or advice: