We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University


Research degrees

Research programmes (full-time/part-time)

The table below provides a list of our research qualifications, you can study for one, two or three years (full-time), or two, four or six years (part-time). As well as conventional research degrees, we also offer innovative professional doctorates, giving students the opportunity to follow a structured programme of taught modules before undertaking an extended research thesis.

When applying to study for a research degree you should consult with your academic department to check that a supervisor with expertise in your chosen subject area is available to support you.


12/24 months 24/48 months 36/72 months


Archaeology MRes MPhil PhD
Biosciences MSc PhD
Chemistry MSc PhD
Classics & Ancient History MA MLitt PhD
Computer Science MSc PhD

Durham University Business School
(Economics, Finance and Business)

Durham Law School MJur PhD
Earth Sciences MSc MPhil PhD
Education PhD, EdD
Engineering MSc PhD
English Studies MA MLitt PhD
Geography MA, MSc PhD

Government & International Affairs
(Middle Eastern & Islamic Studies, Politics)

MA MLitt, MPhil PhD
History MA PhD
Mathematical Sciences MSc PhD

Modern Languages & Cultures (MLAC)
(Arabic, European Languages, Photographic Image & Translation Studies)

Music MA MMus PhD
Philosophy MA PhD
Physics MSc PhD
Psychology MA/MSc PhD
(Community & Youth Work, Criminology, Social Policy, Social Work)
MA MPhil PhD
Sport and Exercise Sciences MRes MPhil PhD
Theology & Religion MA MLitt IPhD, PhD, DThM

* Please note that not all research degrees are available part-time, and you should check with their department in the first instance.

Research training

All research students will have the opportunity to develop their research and transferable skills through the Research Training Programmes offered by their academic department and the Graduate School.