The Wider Student Experience
We are proud that Durham students combine hard work on their degree courses with excellence in sport, music, drama and volunteering. Our Colleges, Durham Students’ Union and Experience Durham combine to produce what we call The Durham Difference. This has long been a strength for Durham University. But we want to do better still. We believe we can build a wider student experience as good as any in the world.Owen Adams OBE, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience)
- Develop the educational mission of our Colleges;
- Ensure that Durham University is top in the UK for sport, music and theatre;
- Ensure that Durham University is top in the UK for volunteering and leadership;
- Learn from and match best practice in Wider Student Experience around the world.
We are already doing well
- Durham University is a proudly collegiate institution with fourteen Colleges in Durham City and two at the Queen’s Campus, Stockton. The variety of our Colleges ensures there is something for everyone.
- Durham University students and staff are active volunteers, with students giving nearly 14,000 hours of community support annually.
- Durham University rates of participation in student sport are the highest in the UK for both women and men, while Team Durham ensures that Durham is consistently the Number One Team Sports University in the UK.
- Durham University has enjoyed more success in national Music and Theatre competitions than any other UK university since 2015. Our Brass Band won a national university competition for the first time in 2017.
But there is SO MUCH MORE to come
By 2027, we will:
- Develop a Durham Award that will offer all students courses on logical thinking ('the Argument Clinic'), global citizenship and study skills, as well as credits for participation in drama, leadership, music, sport and volunteering.
- Establish four to six new Colleges in Durham City, in the process ensuring that more than half of our students will live in College accommodation.
- Build a large-scale, integrated sports park at Maiden Castle, Durham, that will be widely available beyond the University. We will also develop our annual Varsity Match with Loughborough, with some fixtures being played in London.
- Build a new facility for Durham Students’ Union and work with the Union and Experience Durham to deliver outstanding student services and societies.
- Fundraise for a new concert and performance hall that will benefit Durham City and the wider region. The new hall will enable our students involved in music and drama to perform at the highest levels within the UK.