Research and Engagement
We prize academic independence and curiosity driven research at Durham. We aim to employ the very best people and set them free to pursue their research interests in a cooperative and well supported working environment.
But we want to be better still. We want to deliver research that is world-leading and world-changing across the whole University.
- Deliver a critical mass of world-leading research across all academic departments;
- Produce and disseminate research that has a positive impact on global, national and regional challenges and which benefits culture, society, health, the economy and the physical environment;
- Offer a rewarding research environment and an exceptional research-led learning experience.
We are already doing well
- In the 2018 QS World University Subject Rankings, we achieved our best results to date – with nine subjects in the top 50 and 16 in the top 100.
- Our researchers maintain key partnerships with business and industry. Procter and Gamble recognised us as a “best in class” academic partner.
- Our researchers create new businesses and employment. Examples of Durham University spin-out companies include Kromek, P2i and Ikon Science.
- Investing over £2.8 million annually in our Chancellor’s Scholarships to better resource a high-performing cohort of postgraduate and post-doctoral researchers as we build the next generation of leading academics.
But there is So Much More to come
By 2027, we will:
- Build critical mass across the University, with very significant growth in Mathematical Sciences, Computer Science, Durham University Business School, the School of Government and International Affairs, Law, English Studies and History.
- Build new University Research Institutes (URIs) to address key global challenges.
- Work with Durham County Council and Business Durham to develop NETPark, North East England’s only science park.
- Deliver a high-quality academic estate, including targeted investments in buildings, libraries, museums, laboratories and equipment to support a world-leading research culture.