The education we offer at Durham University is one of our greatest strengths. But we want to do better still. We want our education to be challenging, enabling, research-led and transformative, taking advantage of the latest digital technologies, welcoming talented students from all backgrounds and producing critically and socially engaged global citizens and graduates capable of fulfilling their full career potential.Professor Alan Houston, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education)
- Ensure that all our programmes offer intellectual challenge, cohesiveness and a strong sense of progression;
- Offer a first-rate digital learning environment on a par with the best in the UK;
- Significantly improve access from under-represented groups;
- Equip students to transition successfully to the next stage of their lives, as alumni and citizens.
We are already doing well
- Our students are challenged to work with one another and their teachers to solve problems by thinking logically, critically and laterally. We encourage all of our students to lead An Examined Life.
- A high percentage of our staff are Fellows of the Higher Education Academy.
- We have teamed up with private and public sector organisations to establish doctoral training partnerships and centres that provide outstanding training and research opportunities. Subjects include Visual Culture, Environmental and Earth Sciences, Energy and Islamic Finance.
- We are expanding our Supported Progression scheme, which offers talented teenagers free support to help them reach their full potential.
- The new Durham University Teaching and Learning Centre will open in autumn 2019, offering a wide range of learning environments and technologies.
But there is So Much More to come
By 2027, we will:
- Introduce an integrated Durham Excellence in Teaching and Learning Award.
- Build more scholarships and bursaries, as part of a more robust Access agenda.
- Open innovation hubs, the first in our new Mathematical Sciences and Computer Science building, with others to follow.
- Ensure that Durham graduates are properly equipped to ender labour markets around the globe, where they are already seen as some of the most employable students produced by the world’s leading universities.
- Build a lifelong learning offer for Durham alumni that will be underpinned by a strong virtual learning environment.