Dr Thia Sagherian-dickey
Post-Doctoral Research Assistant in Peace & Conflict Studies
|Post-Doctoral Research Assistant in Peace & Conflict Studies in the School of Government and International Affairs||EH204, Elvet Hill House|
Thia Sagherian-Dickey's research interests focus on how certain constructs such as trust, prejudice, social identity, contact and apologies contribute to peace and social justice in challenging contexts. She has worked in Northern Ireland, Lebanon, Jordan, El Salvador, South Korea, employing both quantitative and qualitative methods to explore her research interests. She currently works on the ESRC funded project itled "Getting on with it": Understanding the micro-dynamics of post-accord intergroup social relations. Prior to joining Durham University, she was part of the ERC Consolidator Project "Political Apologies across Cultures".
Chapter in book
- Sagherian-Dickey, Thia M. (2022). The Importance of Trust in Achieving Positive Peace. In The Palgrave Handbook of Positive Peace. 979.
- Sagherian‐Dickey, Thia, Schaafsma, Juliette, Zoodsma, Marieke, Cho, Ha Jung, Dinnick, Iwan, Kim, Jimin, Noor, Masi, Turner, Rhiannon N. & Yáñez de la Cruz, María Sol (2023). Meaningless gestures or pathway to healing and reconciliation? Comparing the perspectives on political apologies in victim and non‐victim communities in El Salvador, the Republic of Korea and the United Kingdom. British Journal of Social Psychology 62(1): 414-430.
- McKeown, Shelley, Sagherian-Dickey, Thia, Kwong, Jasmine & Charlesford, Jaysan J. (2022). Putting theory into peaceful practice: Insights and reflections on the process of coproducing a school-based intergroup relations intervention with teachers. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology
- Gkinopoulos, Theofilos, Sagherian-Dickey, Thia & Schaafsma, Juliette (2022). “Sorry for what we did” A Social Psychological Understanding of Political and Intergroup Apologies (Introduction to the Special Issue). International Review of Social Psychology 35(1).
- Zoodsma, Marieke, Schaafsma, Juliette, Sagherian-Dickey, Thia & Friedrich, Jasper (2021). These Are Not Just Words: A Cross-National Comparative Study of the Content of Political Apologies. International Review of Social Psychology 34(1).
- Stevenson, Clifford & Sagherian-Dickey, Thia (2018). Territoriality and migration in a divided society: Lay theories of citizenship and place in Northern Ireland. Qualitative Psychology 5(1): 135.
- Stevenson, Clifford & Sagherian-Dickey, Thia (2016). Collectively coping with contact: The role of intragroup support in dealing with the challenges of intergroup mixing in residential contexts. British Journal of Social Psychology 55(4): 681.