We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

St Cuthbert's Society

Student Support

We have an excellent student support system at St Cuthbert's to support you throughout your time as a postgraduate at Durham University. The support you receive from the college comes from a number of sources and is available to all members whether you live in college or live out. This includes:

  • Student Support via the Assistant Principal (Student Support) and a student-run welfare team.
  • Referral System in place to the Deputy Principal and other professional services
  • An innovative Student Development and Employability Programme
  • Student Development Awards to enable students to do more with their time here

The Student Support Team is responsible to providing information, advice and guidance on matters which are affecting academic studies and progress. Peer support is available through the JCR Welfare Service and there is also a student Posgraduate Representative for the JCR.

Your Assistant Principal (Student Support) is the main point of contact for any matters which may be affecting your academic studies and is responsible for managing the provision of student support within the college. So, if you have any problems which may be affecting your course or any aspect of your study, you can either contact the College Office or email The college can also can refer you to appropriate departments within the University such as DUSSD (Durham University's Services for Students with Disabilities), Counselling Service and Careers Centre. However, as you are over 18, we do expect that you are fit to study and take part in college life. We also respect the fact that you are over 18 and don't engage with your parents or guardians without your permission; even with your permission, we always prefer to deal with you direct. The College referral system is part of the support that is in place to help you:

The JCR Welfare Officer and the welfare team (all made up of students) also act as another layer of support, referred to as peer support; the students provide a listening and signposting service. If you are homesick or just need someone your own age to talk to, these are the best people to contact. They always refer any matters which are affecting your academic studies direct to the Assistant Principal (Student Support). Also, don't forget, there are students just like you but with a little more experience of college and University life so we would not expect you to get in touch with them at 3am in the morning if you are locked out or a feeling miserable. For real emergencies, you always need to contact the porter on duty.

If you live in college, the Porter on Duty is the person you would contact after hours (in other words, after 5pm and before 9am) if you having any difficulties with your accommodation or you are in an emergency situation. Please be aware that we are not a residential care institution and as a fit adult, you are expected to look after yourself.

Contact details for any queries or concerns about student support: 0191 33 43400