Dr Alastair Basden, PhD, MSci, MA, BA
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
About my research
I am a researcher in most things to do with astronomical adaptive optics (AO) including real-time control systems and simulation, as well as design and bench work.
I have developed the Durham AO real-time controller which has been used successfully by multiple institutes worldwide.
I perform extensive end-to-end simulations of AO systems for the next generation Extremely Large Telescopes
I am a member of the CANARY team, developing technologies for next generation AO systems with on-sky testing
I am involved with the DRAGON AO bench in Durham studying wide-field AO.
I have extensive knowledge of camera electronics and calibration techniques.
- Centre for Advanced Instrumentation
Indicators of Esteem
- Real-time control systems workshop: Head of SOC, Organiser
- Real-time control systems workshop: SOC member
Journal papers: academic
- Basden, A. G. (2015). Analysis of electron multiplying charge coupled device and scientific CMOS readout noise models for Shack–Hartmann wavefront sensor accuracy. Journal of Astronomical Telescopes, Instruments, and Systems 1(3): 039002.
- Basden, A. G., Morris, T. J., Gratadour, D. & Gendron, E. (2015). Sensitivity improvements for Shack-Hartmann wavefront sensors using total variation minimization. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 449(4): 3537-3542.
- Basden, A. G. (2014). A real-time simulation facility for astronomical adaptive optics. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 439(3): 2854-2862.
- Basden, A. G. (2014). Faulty actuator tolerance in deformable mirrors for Extremely Large Telescope multi-object adaptive optics. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 440(1): 577-581.
- Basden, A. G., Chemla, F., Dipper, N., Gendron, E., Henry, D., Morris, T., Rousset, G. & Vidal, F. (2014). Real-time correlation reference update for astronomical adaptive optics. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 439(1): 968-976.
- Basden, A. G. (2014). Visible near-diffraction-limited lucky imaging with full-sky laser-assisted adaptive optics. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 442(2): 1142-1150.
- Basden, Alastair, Evans, Chris & Morris, Tim (2014). Wide-field adaptive optics performance in cosmological deep fields for multi-object spectroscopy with the European Extremely Large Telescope. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 445(4): 4008-4014.
- Basden, A. G. & Myers, R.M. (2012). The Durham adaptive optics real-time controller: capability and Extremely Large Telescope suitability. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (MNRAS) 424(2): 1483-1494
- Basden, Alastair, Myers, Richard & Butterley, Timothy (2010). Considerations for EAGLE from Monte Carlo adaptive optics simulation. Applied Optics 49(31): 1-8.
- Basden, Alastair, Geng, Deli, Myers, Richard & Younger, Eddy (2010). Durham adaptive optics real-time controller. Applied Optics 49(32): 6354-6363.
- Basden, Alastair. (2007). Adaptive optics simulation performance improvements using reconfigurable logic. Applied Optics 46: 900-906.
- Basden, Alastair., Butterley, Timothy., Myers, Richard. & Wilson, Richard. (2007). Durham extremely large telescope adaptive optics simulation platform. Applied Optics 46(7): 1089-1098.
- Basden, Alastair, Geng, Deli, Guzman, Dani, Morris, Tim, Myers, Richard & Saunter, Chris (2007). Shack-Hartmann sensor improvement using optical binning. Applied Optics 46(24): 6136-6141.
- Basden, AG, Assemat, F, Butterley, T, Geng, D, Saunter, CD & Wilson RW (2005). Acceleration of adaptive optics simulations using programmable logic. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 364: 1413-1418.
- Basden, A.G. & Buscher, D.F. (2005). Improvements for group delay fringe tracking. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 357: 656-668.
- Basden, A.G. & Haniff, C.A. (2004). Low light level CCDs and visibility parameter estimation. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 347: 1187-1197.
- Basden, A.G., Haniff, C.A.ackay & C.D. (2003). Photon counting strategies with low-light-level CCDs. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 345: 985-991.
Journal papers: online
- Basden, A. G., Bharmal, N. A., Myers, R. M., Morris, S. & Morris, T. J. (2013). Monte-Carlo simulation of ELT scale multi-object adaptive optics deformable mirror requirements and tolerances. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 435(2): 992-998.