Open World Research Initiative (OWRI)
Cross-Language Dynamics: Reshaping Community
Durham’s School of Modern Languages and Cultures (MLAC) and School of Government and International Affairs (SGIA) are key contributors to one of the four major research programmes that the UK’s Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) is funding as part of its Open World Research Initiative (OWRI).
OWRI represents a major investment by the AHRC in its priority area of Modern Languages. It is designed to foreground and explore the central role that languages play in relation to key contemporary issues, such as social cohesion, migration, health, business and diplomacy. The initiative aims to have a significant positive impact on the study of Modern Languages in the UK.
Durham’s researchers are part of the consortium led by Professor Stephen Hutchings (University of Manchester) and built around a large interdisciplinary programme of research titled Cross-Language Dynamics: Reshaping Community (CrossLangDyn).
The consortium is made up of three core partner institutions – University of Manchester, Durham University, and London University’s Institute of Modern Languages Research, School of Advanced Studies. It includes further collaborative partnerships with a number of other universities, in the UK and abroad, as well as a wide range of non-academic organisations, from sixth-form colleges and local councils to arts institutions, cultural diplomacy networks and foreign-policy think tanks.
The consortium’s programme is structured into three interconnected research strands – the Multilingual (led by Professor Yaron Matras, University of Manchester), the Translingual (led by Professor Catherine Davies, IMLR, SAS, London University), and the Transnational (co-led by Dr Andy Byford, MLAC and Professor Anoush Ehteshami, SGIA, Durham University).
News & Announcements
16-17 June 2017
Londongrad and Londongradians: Identities, Imaginaries and Cultural Practices of Russians in the UK, University of Edinburgh.
25-27 May 2017
Dr Polina Kliuchnikova presents the paper 'Russophonism in Flux: Language Practices and New Identities of Russian-speaking Migrants in the UK’ as part of the panel Russians Abroad: Creating the World Around’ at the conference titled ‘On the Other Side and Beyond’ organised by the Centre for Independent Sociological Research in St Petersburg.
16 May 2017
World Literature and New Totalitarianism, IMLR, SAS, University of London.
24 April 2017
Dr Andy Byford showcases the Transnational Strand of the Cross-Language Dynamics project at Durham University's 8th annual Celebrating Excellence Dinner at Durham Castle.
11 April 2017
Dr Qing Cao presents on 'Mass Media and Modernity in Early 20th-Century China' at the University of Milan, Italy.
6-7 April 2017
1 April 2017
Dr Polina Kliuchnikova presents the paper '"No Test Better than Life'": Discourses on Language Learning, Certification and Proficiency among Russian-speaking Migrants in the UK' as part of the panel 'Russian-speaking Diasporas in Finland and the UK: Discourses of Language and Identity' at the 2017 BASEES conference in Cambridge (31 March - 2 April).
Elvet Riverside, New Elvet
Durham, DH1 3JT
+44 (0)191 33 43316
- RT @SASNews: #Postdoc fellowships for the @IMLR_News @CrossLangDyn project are now open for applications! See more and apply:…
Tweeted on Mon, 06 Feb 2017 15:16:00 +0000
- A warm welcome to @NASWells who joins @SASNews/@IMLR_News as Postdoc RA in Translingual Communities, European Languages & Digital Humanities
Tweeted on Mon, 06 Feb 2017 10:17:47 +0000
- RT @BilingMatters: NEW: February blog post on the importance of quality of input in language development https://t.co/IMJ6c9F71f
Tweeted on Thu, 02 Feb 2017 18:04:01 +0000
- RT @mlmanchester: Interested in introducing #LinguaSnapp in your city? Get in touch on email@example.com https://t.co/FeixvroVa0
Tweeted on Thu, 02 Feb 2017 18:03:54 +0000
- RT @mlmanchester: Manchester Talks Many Languages: 21 Feb 17:30 Central Library. Join us for discussion on language diversity in Mcr! https…
Tweeted on Thu, 02 Feb 2017 18:03:33 +0000
- RT @mlmanchester: Grants available for films on languages (priority Granada Centre students & alumni) https://t.co/MC74MhbBfs
Tweeted on Thu, 02 Feb 2017 18:03:27 +0000
- 27 Feb: OWRI supports the world premiere of @guildhallschool Julian Philips' new #opera: tickets from… https://t.co/U0V14cPxji
Tweeted on Thu, 26 Jan 2017 17:32:01 +0000
- Register now for 23-24 Feb at @IMLR_News: 'Unsettling Communities: Minor, Minority and Small Literatures in Europe'… https://t.co/yymtJZmIRd
Tweeted on Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:35:14 +0000
- RT @mlmanchester: More national press coverage of our report on linguistic landscapes in Manchester https://t.co/sw5d3WtiK8 #LinguaSnapp
Tweeted on Mon, 05 Dec 2016 19:59:21 +0000
- RT @mlmanchester: National press coverage of our report on Manchester's linguistic landscapes #LinguaSnapp https://t.co/nnswWUiOFQ
Tweeted on Mon, 05 Dec 2016 19:59:17 +0000