Essentials when applying to Natural Sciences
- When you are completing your UCAS form, it would be helpful to complete the "Further details" part on your application form and to use the following subject abbreviation codes to select no less than two and no more than four subjects in rank order of preference;
When a candidate is made an offer, the first two preferences are used with the specific A-level entry grades associated with those preferences as outlined at "Essentials and Admissions Process", to construct the offer. These preferences do not tie an applicant to studying these subjects within Natural Sciences. Failing to specify Chemistry as one of the first two preferences will result in the applicant being unable to study Chemistry while at Durham, see the FAQ.
- If your application to study the Natural Sciences degree at Durham is fundamentally different to other degrees that you are applying for, please submit an substitute personal statement directly to Durham in a timely fashion.
- All applicants taking the International Baccalaureate will normally be made the standard offer with an A-level subject requirement equating to a 6 at the Higher Level. Exceptions occur when in the first two preferences:
- Mathematics is included, then a 7 in Higher Level Mathematics will be required.
- Physics is included and Mathematics is excluded, then 76 will be required in Higher Level Physics and Mathematics.
- Chemistry is included and Physics and Mathematics are excluded, then 76 will be required in Higher Level Chemistry and Mathematics.
- is not in, but if Physics is mentioned , with the 7 being in Higher Level Maths in the case of Mathematics and Maths or Physics in the case of Physics. For other applicants, the offer will be 38 points to include 666 in Higher Level Subjects.
- In the International Baccalaureate where an A in an A-level Mathematics is required, applicants will require a 6 in Higher Level Mathematics.
For more information about the Natural Sciences degree programme, please contact:
Dr. James Blowey
Deputy Head of Faculty
Faculty of Science Office
Level 3 Chemistry Building
Tel: 0191 334 1014
Fax: 0191 334 1018
The Natural Sciences web pages are maintained by James Blowey