We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Natural Sciences

How do I transfer out of Natural Sciences

We think studying more that one subject to a great depth is incredibly valuable however we also understand that some students will be 100% certain that they want to leave Natural Sciences at the end of Year 1 and transfer to an alternative single honours programme. In the event that you wish to transfer to Liberal Arts or Combined Honours, then you should contact them directly. In the event you want to transfer into a Single Honours programme they should:

  • Look at to ensure that you have taken the right modules.
  • Check the Q&A's posting in DUO for any Departmental required criteria.
  • Talk to the Departmental Administrator/Director of Education in the Department/School to check that:
    1. the student meet their entry criteria;
    2. the Department are happy to receive you and has space;
    3. if the Department needs to raise an exemption from programme requirements concession where the student has not done the correct modules in Year 1.
  • Assuming that all of the above criteria are met, then the student should contact the Director with
    • The e-mail correspondence with the Department;
    • The name of the programme that the student wishes to transfer to, see;
    • The students id number (9 digits starting 000 on your campus card);
    • Plug the 120 credits that you wish to study that meets the criteria of the new programme into DUO > Banner Self-Service > Registration;
    who will be happy to initiate the electronic transfer.


  • It is not possible to leave Natural Sciences at the end of Year 2.
  • Once your transfer is complete and you are switched onto your new course in Banner (the database the university uses) the University automatically tells Student Finance England through a shared system.