We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Natural Sciences

Switching between the BSc and MSci

Can I change degree course within Natural Sciences?

Yes, you can transfer between Natural Sciences programmes at the end of Level 1 or 2. It is easy to make the change - when you are reviewing your modules in the online registration system in May/June, email the details to the The Director by the end of Term 3, so that the transfer can be implemented, and in the body of the email please state clearly the programme to which you wish to change. At other times of the year please visit The Director in person.

Note that there is a threshold for progression to Level 3 of the MSci programme - you need to pass all your Level 2 modules and get an average module mark of at least 55% to achieve the threshold.

In Year 3 if you select your modules carefully, by including at least 20 credits of Capstone modules, then a transfer can be made as late as the week before examinations start in Year 3 - so MSci students should look ahead to Level 4 when registering for Level 3! It is recommended that you visit The Director at the start of Year 3 if this is your itention to ensure that your module choices provide the required flexibilitiy.

If you are a Year 3 MSci student and want to graduate depending on what award you would get, then you will need to visit The Director to discuss this. Note that any such discussion needs to take place either at least three weeks before or after the Year 3 results are published. In the former case, students can graduate in summer and in the latter case won't be able to graduate in the summer.

If you are a Year 3 BSc student and want to graduate or continue on the MSci depending on what award you would get, then you will need to visit The Director to discuss this. Note that any such discussion needs to take place at least three weeks before results are published. Once the BSc degree classification has been released to students, they are unable to transfer to the MSci.

If you are a UK student then your LEA and the Student Loans Company (SLC) will need to know if you are changing programme; the SLC have an online "Change of Circumstance" facility which you can use to tell them, otherwise the University's Student Financial Support Office will automatically tell them on your behalf, based on your registration information.

If you are an Overseas student, and you are transferring between a 3-year programme and a 4-year programme, then you may need to consider arranging an extension to your visa. As part of this process, such students may need to provide evidence that they are able to cover their living costs, at a fixed rate per month, for the additional year of study (i.e., you are required to have all this money in your bank account at the time of applying for a visa extension). Guidance for students needing to submit a Tier 4 visa application is available on the website of the University's Immigration Office, . Additional advice is available through workshops; email to book a place.