The Natural Sciences Programme
Welcome to the Natural Sciences website
The BSc and MSci Natural Sciences degree programmes allows you to combine subjects to design your own broad based (two or three subjects) degree programme or follow one of a large number of Joint Honours degrees. Put simply, if you are a scientist and want to combine more than one subject at Durham University then you need to apply for Natural Sciences.
About Natural Sciences: BSc and MSci Degree Programme Structure; examples of pathways; Subjects and modules;
Visiting Durham: Natural Sciences; A map of Durham or Science Laboratories;
Pre-Application: Prospectus; How to apply; Entry Requirements; Deferred Entry;
Pre-Application Open Day: Technical Handbook; Slides;
Post-Offer Visit Day: Making a booking; Technical Handbook; Slides;
General Information: Frequently asked questions; Studying at the University; Faculty of Science Annual Report 2016; The Durham Colleges; Career Prospects;
Latest Rankings News
- QS World University Rankings;
- The Complete University Guide has ranked Durham (currently 6th) in the top ten for a decade.
- Durham is the Times and Sunday Times Sports University of the Year 2015;
- Among larger providers, in 2016 Durham had the second lowest dropout rate.
Information for August 2017
- Offer Holders: Advice for existing applicants who are either near misses or what to do next if you meet the conditions of your offer, see www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/applicants/offerholders/
If you have an offer from us, you should see our decision on UCAS Track.
- If you have met our conditions, you should soon hear from Natural Sciences about a week after results have been published and your College with information about what to do next. N.B. If we are your Insurance choice, you must wait until your Firm choice has made their decision.
- If you haven't achieved your grades and you are showing as unsuccessful on UCAS Track, then UCAS has set up an Exam Results Helpline (0808 100 8000) that offers on-the-spot information.
- If you haven't achieved your grades and UCAS Track doesn't reveal whether you are successful, then please call us on 0191 3341014. In some cases we are waiting for Practical Grades to feed through from UCAS
Answers to standard questions can be found at the University Admissions site.
- If you were on the "Chemistry Reserve" list where is states in the offer "...unless space becomes available in October 2017", then we are able to confirm that you will be able to study Chemistry. .
- Hopeful Home or EU or Islands students: Natural Sciences does not have any vacancies in Clearing or Adjustment.
Information for October 2018 entry and beyond
- We have created list of nearly 25 exemplars that demonstrate the choice, flexibility and depth.
- The New York Times highlights the breadth offered by Durham Natural Sciences and in fact it is broader and not as narrow as they discuss.
- For 2017 entry we expect to take 206 Home and EU entrants into Natural Sciences and there will be a restriction on the number of offers made to those wanting to study Chemistry, see FAQ.
Do you have a question about Natural Sciences? Try our frequently asked questions (FAQs) section
For more information about the Natural Sciences degree programme, please contact:
Dr. James Blowey
Deputy Head of Faculty
Faculty of Science Office
Level 3 Chemistry Building
Tel: 0191 334 1014
Fax: 0191 334 1018
The Natural Sciences web pages are maintained by James Blowey