Dr Laura Leante
Dr Laura Leante is a Lecturer in Ethnomusicology. She studied ethnomusicology at the University of Rome "La Sapienza", where she was awarded both her first degree (1999) and her PhD (2003). Her doctoral research focussed on the issues of meaning and crosscultural reception of music in British Asian repertories.
Her research interests range over Indian classical and folk music, music of the South Asian diaspora, performance analysis, music and globalisation, popular music, and music semiotics.
Before joining Durham University, Laura worked as AHRC Fellow and Lecturer in Music at the Open University. Other past appointments include a Visiting Fellowship at the International Study Centre of Queen's University (Canada) at Herstmonceux Castle, East Sussex (2005) and a Lectureship at S.S.I.S., University of Rome, Italy (2003-2005).
Dr Leante is Secretary General of ESEM (European Seminar in Ethnomusicology).
In 2005-2009 Laura Leante was team member working on the AHRC-funded research project "Experience and meaning in music performance", developing her interest in processes of meaning construction in music through the analysis of performance in Hindustani classical music.
In 2009-2012 she directed the AHRC-funded project "The Reception of Performance in North Indian Classical Music".
She is currently directing the AHRC-funded project "Khyal: Music and Imagination"
Chapter in book
- Leante, Laura (2016). Observing musicians/audience interaction in North Indian classical music performance. In Musicians and their Audiences: Performance, Speech and Mediation. Tsioulakis, Ioannis & Hytönen-Ng, Elina Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. 34-43.
- Clayton, Martin & Leante, Laura (2013). Embodiment in Music Performance. In Experience and Meaning in Music Performance. Clayton, Martin, Dueck, Byron & Leante, Laura Oxford University Press. 188-207.
- Leante, Laura (2013). Gesture and Imagery in Music Performance: Perspectives from North Indian Classical Music. In The Routledge Companion to Music and Visual Culture. Shephard, Tim & Leonard, Anne New York: Routledge. 145-152.
- Leante, Laura (2013). Imagery, Movement and Listeners’ Construction of Meaning in North Indian Classical Music. In Experience and Meaning in Music Performance. Clayton, Martin, Dueck, Byron & Leante, Laura Oxford Oxford University Press. 161-187.
- Fatone, Gina A., Clayton, Martin, Leante, Laura & Rahaim, Matt (2011). 'Imagery, melody and gesture in cross-cultural perspective'. In New Perspectives on Music and Gesture. Gritten, Anthony & King, Elaine Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate. 203-220.
- Dahl, Sofia, Bevilacqua, Frederic, Bresin, Roberto, Clayton, Martin, Leante, Laura, Poggi, Isabella & Rasamimanana, Nicolas (2010). 'Gesture in Performance'. In Musical Gestures. Godøy, Rolf Inge & Leman, Mark New York: Routledge. 36-68.
- Leante, Laura (2009). 'Urban Myth: bhangra and the dhol craze in the UK'. In Music in Motion. Diversity and Dialogue in Europe. Bernd Clausen, Ursula Hemetek & Eva Saether Bielefeld: Transcript Verlag. 191-207.
- Leante, Laura (2007). 'L’incontro tra popular music e tradizione indiana: processi e modalità di appropriazione'. In Etnomusicologia e studi di popular music: quale possibile convergenza?. Leante, Laura Fondazione Giorgio Cini.
- Leante, Laura (2005). 'Transcultural reception and meaning in world music: the case of British-Asian musics'. In New approaches in ethnomusicology. Astrauskas, Rimantas Vilnius: Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre. 122-130.
- Leante, Laura (2003). 'L’isola che non c’è. Madonna e la World Music'. In Madonna. Fiore, Carlo Palermo: L’Epos. 65-84.
- Clayton, Martin, Dueck, Byron & Leante, Laura (2013). Experience and Meaning in Music Performance. Oxford Oxford University Press.
- Will, Udo, Clayton, Martin, Wertheim, Ira, Leante, Laura & Berg, Eric (2015). Pulse and Entrainment to Non-Isochronous Auditory Stimuli: The case of North Indian Alap. PLoS One 10(4): e0123247.
- Clayton, Martin & Leante, Laura (2015). Role, status and hierarchy in the performance of North Indian classical music. Ethnomusicology Forum 24(3): 414-442.
- Lucas, Glaura, Clayton, Martin & Leante, Laura (2011). Inter-group Entrainment in Afro-Brazilian Congado Ritual. Empirical Musicology Review 6(2): 75-102.
- Leante, Laura (2010). 'Contesti e pratiche di performance del bhangra in Punjab e nella diaspora'. MOLIMO. Quaderni di Antropologia culturale ed Etnomusicologia 5: 141-160.
- Leante, Laura (2009). The Lotus and the King: Imagery, Gesture and Meaning in a Hindustani Rāg. Ethnomusicology Forum 18(2): 185-206.
- Leante, Laura (2007). 'Multimedia aspects of progressive rock shows: Analysis of the performance of The Musical Box'. Borio, G/Facci, S. (eds) Proceedings of the International Conference “Composition and Experimentation in British Rock 1966-1976”
- Leante, Laura (2004). 'Shaping diasporic sounds: Identity as meaning in bhangra'. The World of Music 46: 109-122.
- Leante, Laura (2003). 'Primo contributo ad una bibliografia su Etnomusicologia e World Music’. EM. Annuario degli Archivi di Etnomusicologia - NS I 177-195.
- Leante, Laura (2000). 'Love You To. Un exemple de rencontre entre musique indienne et musique pop dans la production des Beatles'. Cahiers de Musiques Traditionnelles 13: 103-118.