Publication details for Dr Laura LeanteLeante, Laura (2009). The Lotus and the King: Imagery, Gesture and Meaning in a Hindustani Rāg. Ethnomusicology Forum 18(2): 185-206.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1741-1912, 1741-1920
- DOI: 10.1080/17411910903141874
- Keywords: South Asia, Hindustani classical music, Rāga, Gesture, Imagery, Meaning construction.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This article brings together investigation of gesture and imagery in the study of North Indian classical music, focusing on a particular rāg—Śrī rāg—in detail. The research, based on extensive ethnography and analysis of audiovisual recordings, reveals how the embodiment of sound as patterns of movement is a key to understanding how musicians associate particular images and emotions with rāgs, and at the same time how such processes of signification are intertwined with culturally embedded meanings.