Welcome to Durham University Department of Music, one of leading centres in the UK for the study of Music. We were ranked as the top Department in 2016 (#1 The Sunday Times University League Table, #2 Complete University Guide, #3 Research Excellence Framework). The Department has internationally recognised research expertise in a wide variety of topics including musicology, theory and analysis, ethnomusicology, music psychology, performance, composition, and music technology.
We strive to provide innovative, research-led teaching that will assist our students to achieve their full potential as thinking, creative musicians and scholars. Our undergraduate programme mixes foundational courses with a strong emphasis on developing independent research skills and increasing choice and flexibility as you progress. Our postgraduate programme offers opportunities for higher-level study with world-leading researchers.
Durham enjoys a rich musical life: the University boasts numerous choirs, orchestras, opera, jazz and early-music ensembles, and the Department runs its own annual concert series, which attracts soloists from around the World.
The Music Department is located within the historic UNESCO World Heritage Site comprising the magnificent 11th century Cathedral and Castle. We have a distinguished tradition of scholarship stretching back to the nineteenth century, but we pride ourselves on remaining a dynamic centre of creative and intellectual innovation.
- Prof Bennett Zon gives public lecture - ‘O Come All Ye Faithful: A Musical Mystery Tour’
- Recent editions and recordings from Prof Jeremy Dibble
- New blog post from Music & Science lab
- Funding for Postgraduate Degrees in Music at Durham University
- BBC History of Rhythm documentary features Durham entrainment research
- Dr Simon Mills gives lecture series in South Korea
- Dr Kelly Jakubowski leads 'earworms' study
- Khyal: Music and Imagination exhibition at Laing Gallery
- New 'Music Analysis' publication from Dr Lara Pearson
- Funding opportunities for postgraduate study
Explore the frontiers of knowledge
The official account of Durham University's Music Department
- RT @KomodoDigital: #FocusOn Working with @durham_uni's @MusicDurhamUni, creating an iOS app to engage with #Kyhal Indian music:…
Tweeted 19 hours ago
- RT @MartinClayton4: Looking forward to speaking on music and entrainment in Uppsala this Friday. Come and join us if you can: https://t.co/…
Tweeted 3 days ago
- RT @tuomas_ee: @MicheleMeinhart in her talk @MusicDurhamUni: Musical life in the British stately homes during WWI was active & served varie…
Tweeted 4 days ago
- All welcome for @MicheleMeinhart's seminar with @DurhamCNCS today at 2pm: Tommy Critics, an Unlikely Musical Commun… https://t.co/5kTY5PI5l2
Tweeted 4 days ago