We have been rated as the top UK music department for two years running in both The Complete University Guide (2018 and 2019) and The Sunday Times University League Table (2017 and 2018), are ranked first in the Guardian University League Table 2019, and appeared in the top three in the Research Excellence Framework 2014.
Durham University's Music Department has internationally recognised research expertise in a wide variety of topics including musicology, theory and analysis, ethnomusicology, music psychology, performance, composition, and music technology.
We strive to provide innovative, research-led teaching that will assist our students to achieve their full potential as thinking, creative musicians and scholars. Our undergraduate programme mixes foundational courses with a strong emphasis on developing independent research skills and increasing choice and flexibility as you progress. Our postgraduate programme offers opportunities for higher-level study with world-leading researchers.
Durham enjoys a rich musical life: the University boasts numerous choirs, orchestras, opera, jazz and early-music ensembles, and the Department runs its own annual concert series, which attracts soloists from around the World.
The Music Department is located within the historic UNESCO World Heritage Site comprising the magnificent 11th century Cathedral and Castle. We have a distinguished tradition of scholarship stretching back to the nineteenth century, but we pride ourselves on remaining a dynamic centre of creative and intellectual innovation.
- Short-term vacancy at the Music Department
- World première 'Riflesso sullo spazio' by Richard RIJNVOS
- Music Alumni leads his school to win Best Music Department of the Year
- Music Department - International Women’s Day
- World première “quattro quadri” by Richard Rijnvos
- New CD: ‘Amérique du Nord’ by Richard Rijnvos
- Dr James Weeks wins British Composer Award
- Philosophy of Improv: UG student reports on event
- Suppressing Musical Chills, Goosebumps and Shivers in Listeners
- Performance of Stanford’s ‘The Travelling Companion’
Department research events, plus our professional and student concert series.
Also check What's On for wider university music listings.