Staff and Governance
To contact the IMEMS administrative office please use the following details:
T: 0191 334 2974
The day-to-day running of IMEMS is the responsibility of the Core Executive Committee, comprising the Director and Associate Directors and the Administrator.
Professor Janet Montgomery, BSc (Hons) 1st class, PhD
Graduated in Archaeological Science (BSc Hons. 1st class) in 1996 University of Bradford
Received her NERC funded doctorate in 2002 University of Bradford.
2003- 2007 NERC Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Bradford,
2007-2010 was Lecturer in Archaeological Science at the University of Bradford
Janet’s doctoral thesis awarded in 2002 (available to download from the AHDS website: http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives/view/montgomery_2005/) was the first study to apply combined radiogenic lead and strontium isotope analysis to British archaeological humans. It explored such topics as how enamel lead compositions of archaeological humans become culturally focussed following the widespread use of metals, differential diagenesis of enamel, dentine and bone and the potential of lead and strontium to identify migration to, and within, Britain.
She has published her work in the journals of several disciplines: archaeological, biological, geochemical, geological and environmental. With various collaborators and students, Janet is currently working on a wide range of archaeological projects of humans and animals ranging in date from the Neolithic to the 19th century and funded by the NERC, AHRC, ESRF, Wellcome, British Academy, Royal Archaeological Institute, Royal Irish Academy, Leverhulme Trust, English Heritage and Historic Scotland. Of note is the Beaker People Project (PIs Profs. Parker-Pearson, Richards and Chamberlain) and The Gristhorpe Man Project which she co-directs with Nigel Melton. The Gristhorpe Man monograph was published in December 2013 by Oxbow.
In addition to archaeological case studies, her research continues on the two main themes of her NERC fellowship which are fundamental to a better understanding of how isotope analysis can be applied to archaeological questions of diet and mobility. These are the timing, duration and progression of enamel biomineralization and how it impacts on the dietary and mobility information obtained, and with her long-standing collaborator Professor Jane Evans at the British Geological Survey, environmental mapping of biosphere 87Sr/86Sr in Britain so the data obtained from humans and animals can be interpreted. The map published in 2010 is regularly updated and available here: http://www.bgs.ac.uk/products/geochemistry/BiosphereIsotopeDomainsGB.html
Department of Archaeology
- Bioarchaeology Research Group
Department of Archaeology
- A re-appraisal of the Early Neolithic Inhabitants of Shetland
- Adolescence, Migration and Health in Medieval England: the osteological evidence
- Building Silbury Hill - where did the antler picks come from?
- The Gristhorpe Man Project
- Timelines in Teeth: investigating the timing and pattern of enamel maturation in developing human teeth
- Isotopic and trace element studies of diet and residential mobility in modern and archaeological humans and animals
- Fundamental and developmental aspects of isotope and trace element systems in bone, teeth and the environment
Chapter in book
- Rogers, B., Gron, K., Montgomery, J., Gröcke, D.R. & Rowley-Conwy, P. (2018). Aurochs Hunters: The Large Animal Bones from Blick Mead. In Blick Mead: Exploring the 'first place' in the Stonehenge landscape. Archaeological excavations at Blick Mead, Amesbury, Wiltshire 2005–2016. Jacques, D., Phillips, T. & Lyons, T. Oxford: Peter Lang. 1: 127-152.
- Millard, A.R., Montgomery, J, Trickett, M, Beaumont, J, Evans, J & Chenery, S (2014). Childhood lead exposure in the British Isles during the industrial revolution. In Modern Environments and Human Health: Revisiting the Second Epidemiological Transition. Zuckerman, M Wiley-Blackwell. 279-300.
- McCarthy, M.R., Montgomery, J., Lerwick, C. & Buckberry, J. (2014). Were the Vikings in Carlisle?. In In Search of the Vikings: Interdisciplinary Approaches to the Scandinavian Heritage of North-West England. Harding, S.E., Griffiths, D. & Royles, E. CRC Press/Taylor & Francis. 135-145.
- Montgomery, J. & Gledhill, A. (2013). Diet and origins: the isotope evidence. In Gristhorpe Man: a Life and Death in the Bronze Age. Melton, Nigel D., Montgomery, Janet & Knüsel, Christopher J. Oxbow. 129-141.
- Montgomery, J. & Jay, M. (2013). The contribution of skeletal isotope analysis to understanding the Bronze Age in Europe. In The Handbook of Bronze Age Europe. Harding, A. & Fokkens, H. Oxford University Press. 179-196.
- Richards, M.P. & Montgomery, J. (2012). Isotope analysis and paleopathology: A short review and future developments. In The Global History of Paleopathology: Pioneers and Prospects. Buikstra, J.E. & Roberts, C.A. Oxford University Press. 718-731.
- Zvelebil, M. Lillie, M.C., Montgomery, J. , Lukes, A. Pettitt, P. & Richards, M.P. (2012). The emergence of the LBK: Migration, memory and meaning at the transition to agriculture. In Population Dynamics in Pre- and Early History: New Approaches By Using Stable Isotopes and Genetics. Burger, J. Kaiser, E. & Schier, W. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter. 133-148.
- Montgomery, J., Knüsel, C. & Tucker, K. (2011). Identifying the origins of decapitated male skeletons from 3 Driffield Terrace, York, through isotope analysis: reflections of the cosmopolitan nature of Roman York in the time of Caracalla. In The Bioarchaeology of the Human Head: Decapitation, Decoration and Deformation. Bonogofsky, M. University Press of Florida. 141-178.
- Montgomery, J., Evans, J.A., Chenery, S. R., Pashley, V. & Killgrove, K. (2010). Gleaming, white and deadly” using lead to track human exposure and geographic origins in the Roman period in Britain. In Roman diasporas; archaeological approaches to mobility and diversity in the Roman Empire. Eckardt, Hella Journal of Roman Archaeology. Suppl. 78: 199-226.
- Montgomery, J., Muldner, G., Cook, G., Gledhill, A. & Ellam, R. (2009). Isotope analysis of bone collagen and tooth enamel. In 'Clothing for the Soul Divine': Burials at the Tomb of St Ninian. Excavations at Whithorn Priory, 1957-67. Lowe, C. Historic Scotland. Archaeology Report No.3: 63-80.
- Montgomery, J., Evans, J. A., Chenery, C. A. & Müldner, G. (2009). Stable isotope analysis of bone. In Wasperton: A Roman, British and Anglo-Saxon Community in Central England. Carver, M.O.H., Hills, C. & Scheschkewitz, J. Boydell and Brewer. 48-49.
- Montgomery, J., Cooper, R.E. & Evans, J.A. (2007). Foragers, farmers or foreigners? An assessment of dietary strontium isotope variation in Middle Neolithic and Early Bronze Age East Yorkshire. In From Stonehenge to the Baltic. Living with cultural diversity in the third millennium BC. Larsson, M. & Parker Pearson, M. Oxford Archaeopress. International Series BAR 1692: 65-75.
- Montgomery, J. & Evans, J. A. (2006). Immigrants on the Isle of Lewis - combining traditional funerary and modern isotope evidence to investigate social differentiation, migration and dietary change in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. In The Social Archaeology of Funerary Remains. Gowland, R. & Knusel, C. Oxbow Books. 122-142.
- Melton, N.D., Montgomery, J. & Knusel, C.J. (2013). Gristhorpe Man: a Life and Death in the Bronze Age. Oxbow.
- Crowder, Kayla, Montgomery, Janet, Gröcke, Darren & Filipek, Kori (2019). Childhood “stress” and stable isotope life-histories in Transylvania. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 29(4): 644-653.
- Halldórsdóttir, H.H, Rogers, B, , Di Renno, F.A, Müldner, G., Gröcke D.R, , Barnicle, E, Chidimuroe, B, Evans, M, , Morley, R, Neff, M, Sharp, C, Simpson, A, Boucher, A, & Montgomery, J, (2019). Continuity and individuality in Medieval Hereford, England: A stable isotope approach to bulk bone and incremental dentine. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 23: 800-809.
- Johnson, Lucie , Montgomery, Janet , Evans, Jane & Hamilton, Elliot (2019). Contribution of strontium to the human diet from querns and millstones: and experiment in digestive Sr-isotope uptake. Archaeometry 61(6): 1366-1381.
- Rogers, B., Gron, K.J., Montgomery, J., Rowley-Conwy, P., Nowell, G., Peterkin, J. & Jacques, D. (2019). Isotopic analysis of the Blick Mead dog: A proxy for the dietary reconstruction and mobility of Mesolithic British hunter-gatherers. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 24: 712-720.
- Gron, Kurt J., Rowley-Conwy, Peter, Fernandez-Dominguez, Eva, Gröcke, Darren R., Montgomery, Janet, Nowell, Geoff M. & Patterson, William P. (2018). A Meeting In The Forest: Hunters And Farmers At The Coneybury ‘Anomaly’, Wiltshire. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society 84: 111-144.
- Redfern, Rebecca, DeWitte, Sharon, Montgomery, Janet & Gowland, Rebecca (2018). A Novel Investigation into Migrant and Local Health-Statuses in the Past: A Case Study from Roman Britain. Bioarchaeology International 2(1): 20-43.
- Beaumont, Julia, Craig Atkins, Elizabeth Buckberry, Jo, Haydock, Hannah Horne, Pennie, Howcroft, Rachel, MacKenzie, Kevin & Montgomery, Janet (2018). Comparing apples and oranges: why infant bone collagen may not reflect dietary intake in the same way as dentine collagen. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 167(3): 524-540.
- Al-Mosawi,Mohammed Davis, Graham Roy Bushby, Andy Montgomery, Janet , Beaumont, Julia & Al-Jawad, Maisoon (2018). Crystallographic texture and mineral concentration quantification of developing and mature human incisal enamel. Nature Scientific Reports 8: 14449.
- Petersone-Gordina, P., Roberts, C.A., Millard, A.R., Montgomery, J. & Gerhards, G. (2018). Dental disease and dietary isotopes of individuals from St Gertrude Church cemetery, Riga, Latvia. PLOS ONE 13(1): e0191757.
- Panagiotopoulou, Eleni, Montgomery, Janet, Nowell, Geoff, Peterkin, Joanne, Doulgeri-Intzesiloglou, Argiro, Arachoviti, Polixeni, Katakouta, Stiliani & Tsiouka, Fotini (2018). Detecting Mobility in Early Iron Age Thessaly by Strontium Isotope Analysis. European Journal of Archaeology 21(4): 590-611.
- Kancle, Lauren, Montgomery, Janet, Gröcke, Darren R. & Caffell, Anwen (2018). From Field to Fish: Tracking Changes in Diet on Entry to Two Medieval Friaries in Northern England. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 22: 264-284.
- Neil, S., Evans, J., Montgomery, J. & Scarre, C. (2018). Isotopic evidence for landscape use and the role of causewayed enclosures during the earlier Neolithic in southern Britain. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society 84: 185-205.
- Gan, Yee Min, Towers, Jacqueline, Bradley, Richard A., Pearson, Elizabeth, Nowell, Geoff, Peterkin, Joanne & Montgomery, Janet (2018). Multi-isotope evidence for cattle droving at Roman Worcester. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 20: 6-17.
- Pettitt, Paul , Rowley-Conwy, Peter , Montgomery, Janet & Richards, Michael (2017). A cold case closed. New light on the life and death of the Lateglacial elk from Poulton-le-Fylde (Lancashire, UK). Quartär 64: 179-202.
- Towers, Jacqueline, Bond, Julie, Evans, Jane, Mainland, Ingrid & Montgomery, Janet (2017). An isotopic investigation into the origins and husbandry of Mid-Late Bronze Age cattle from Grimes Graves, Norfolk. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 15: 59-72.
- Harris, Oliver J.T., Cobb, Hannah, Batey, Colleen E., Montgomery, Janet, Beaumont, Julia, Gray, Héléna, Murtagh, Paul & Richardson, Phil (2017). Assembling places and persons: a tenth-century Viking boat burial from Swordle Bay on the Ardnamurchan peninsula, western Scotland. Antiquity 91(355): 191-206.
- Towers, Jacqueline, Mainland, Ingrid, Montgomery, Janet & Bond, Julie (2017). Calving seasonality at Pool, Orkney during the first millennium AD: an investigation using intra-tooth isotope ratio analysis of cattle molar enamel. Environmental Archaeology 22(1): 40-55.
- Needham, Stuart Kenny, James Cole, Garrard Montgomery, Janet, Jay, Mandy, Mary Davis and & Peter Marshall (2017). Death by combat at the dawn of the Bronze Age? Profiling the dagger-accompanied burial from Racton, West Sussex. The Antiquaries Journal 97: 65-117.
- Waddington, C. & Montgomery, J. (2017). Further excavations at Fin Cop hillfort and stable isotope analysis of the skeletons. Derbyshire Archaeological Journal 137: 22-65.
- Roffey, Simon, Tucker, Katie, Filipek-Ogden, Kori, Montgomery, Janet, Cameron, Jamie, O’Connell, Tamsin, Evans, Jane, Marter, Phil & Taylor, G. Michael (2017). Investigation of a Medieval Pilgrim Burial Excavated from the Leprosarium of St Mary Magdalen Winchester, UK. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases 11(1): e0005186.
- Neil, Samantha, Montgomery, Janet, Evans, Jane, Cook, Gordon T. & Scarre, Chris (2017). Land use and mobility during the Neolithic in Wales explored using isotope analysis of tooth enamel. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 164(2): 371-393.
- Andre Stewart, Nicolas, Fernanda Gerlach, Raquel, Gowland, Rebecca L., Gron, Kurt & Montgomery, Janet (2017). Sex determination of human remains from peptides in tooth enamel. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 114(52): 13649-13654.
- Killgrove, Kristina & Montgomery, Janet (2016). All Roads Lead to Rome: Exploring Human Migration to the Eternal City through Biochemistry of Skeletons from Two Imperial-Era Cemeteries (1st-3rd c AD). PLoS ONE 11(2): e0147585.
- Parker Pearson, Mike, Chamberlain, Andrew, Jay, Mandy, Richards, Mike, Sheridan, Alison, Curtis, Neil, Evans, Jane, Gibson, Alex, Hutchison,Margaret, Mahoney, Patrick, Marshall, Peter, Montgomery, Janet, Needham, Stuart, O’Mahoney, Sandra, Pellegrini, Maura & Wilkin, Neil (2016). Bell Beaker people in Britain: migration, mobility and diet. Antiquity 90(351): 620-637.
- Martiniano, Rui, Caffell, Anwen, Holst, Malin, Hunter-Mann, Kurt, Montgomery, Janet, Müldner, Gundula, McLaughlin, Russell L., Teasdale, Matthew D., van Rheenen, Wouter, Veldink, Jan H., van den Berg, Leonard H., Hardiman, Orla, Carroll, Maureen, Roskams, Steve, Oxley, John, Morgan, Colleen, Thomas, Mark G., Barnes, Ian, McDonnell, Christine, Collins, Matthew J. & Bradley, Daniel G. (2016). Genomic signals of migration and continuity in Britain before the Anglo-Saxons. Nature Communications 7: 10326.
- Shaw, Heidi, Montgomery, Janet, Redfern, Rebecca, Gowland, Rebecca & Evans, Jane (2016). Identifying migrants in Roman London using lead and strontium stable isotopes. Journal of Archaeological Science 66: 57-68.
- Neil, Samantha, Evans, Jane, Montgomery, Janet & Scarre, Chris (2016). Isotopic evidence for residential mobility of farming communities during the transition to agriculture in Britain. Royal Society Open Science 3(1): 150522.
- Melton, N., Montgomery, J., Roberts, B.W., Cook, G. & Harris, S. (2016). On the curious date of the Rylstone log-coffin burial. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society 82: 383-392.
- Gron, Kurt, Montgomery, Janet, Otto Nielsen, Poul, Nowell, Geoff, Peterkin, Joanne L., Sørensen, Lasse & Rowley-Conwy, Peter (2016). Strontium isotope evidence of early Funnel Beaker Culture movement of cattle. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 6: 248-251.
- Beaumont, J. & Montgomery, J. (2016). The Great Irish Famine: identifying starvation in the tissues of victims using stable isotope analysis of bone and incremental dentine collagen. PLoS ONE 11(8): e0160065.
- Stewart, Nicolas Andre, Molina, Gabriela Ferian, Issa, Jão Paulo Mardegan, Yates, Nathan Andrew, Sosovicka, Mark, Vieira, Alexandre Rezende, Line, Sergio Roberto Peres, Montgomery, Janet & Gerlach, Raquel Fernanda (2016). The identification of peptides by nanoLC-MS/MS from human surface tooth enamel following a simple acid etch extraction. RSC Advances 6(66): 61673-61679.
- Mainland, Ingrid Towers, Jacqueline, Ewens, Vicki, Davis, Geoffrey, Montgomery, Janet , Batey, Colleen, Card, Nick & Downes, Jane (2016). Toiling with teeth: An integrated dental analysis of sheep and cattle dentition in Iron Age and Viking–Late Norse Orkney. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 6: 837-855.
- Gron, K.J., Montgomery, J. & Rowley-Conwy, P. (2015). Cattle Management for Dairying in Scandinavia’s earliest Neolithic. PLOS ONE 10(7): e0131267.
- Armit, Ian, Shapland, Fiona, Montgomery, Janet & Beaumont, Julia (2015). Difference in Death? A Lost Neolithic Inhumation Cemetery with Britain’s Earliest Case of Rickets, at Balevullin, Western Scotland. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society 81: 199-214.
- Beaumont, J., Montgomery, J., Buckberry, J. & Jay, M. (2015). Infant mortality and isotopic complexity: new approaches to stress, maternal health, and weaning. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 157(3): 441-457.
- Beaumont, J. & Montgomery, J. (2015). Oral Histories: a simple method of assigning chronological age to isotopic values from human dentine collagen. Annals of Human Biology 42(4): 407-414.
- Towers, J., Gledhill, A., Bond, J. & Montgomery, J. (2014). An investigation of cattle birth seasonality using δ13C and δ18O profiles within first molar enamel. Archaeometry 56(Suppl.1): 208-236.
- Buckberry, J., Montgomery, J., Towers, J., Müldner, G., Holst, Malin, Evans, J., Gledhill, A., Neale, N & Lee-Thorp, Julia (2014). Finding Vikings in the Danelaw. Oxford Journal of Archaeology 33(4): 413-434.
- Montgomery, J., Grimes, V., Buckberry, J., Evans, J.A., Richards, M.P. & Barrett, J.H. (2014). Finding Vikings with Isotope Analysis: The View from Wet and Windy Islands. Journal of the North Atlantic Special volume 7: 54-70.
- Beaumont, J., Gledhill, A. & Montgomery, J. (2014). Isotope analysis of incremental human dentine: towards higher temporal resolution. Bulletin of the International Association of Paleodontology 8(2): 212-223.
- Curtis-Summers, S., Montgomery, J & Carver, M.O.H. (2014). Stable isotope analysis for dietary contrast between Pictish and Medieval populations at Portmahomack, Scotland. Medieval Archaeology 58(1): 21-43.
- McManus, Ellen, Montgomery, Janet, Evans, Jane, Lamb, Angela, Brettell, Rhea & Jelsma, Johan (2013). ‘To the land or to the sea' diet and mobility in early medieval Frisia. The Journal of Island and Coastal Archaeology 8(2): 255-277.
- Jay, M., Montgomery, J., Nehlich, O., Towers, J. & Evans, J. (2013). British Iron Age chariot burials of the Arras culture: a multi-isotope approach to investigating mobility levels and subsistence practices. World Archaeology 45(3): 473-491.
- Beaumont, J., Gledhill, A., Lee-Thorp, J. & Montgomery, J. (2013). Childhood diet: a closer examination of the evidence from dental tissues using stable isotope analysis of incremental human dentine. Archaeometry 55(2): 277-295.
- Simmons, Lisa M., Montgomery, Janet, Beaumont, Julia, Davis, Graham R. & Al-Jawad, Maisoon (2013). Mapping the spatial and temporal progression of human dental enamel biomineralization using synchrotron X-ray diffraction. Archives of Oral Biology 58(11): 1726-1734.
- Kendall, E., Montgomery, J., Evans, J., Stantis, C. & Mueller, V. (2013). Mobility, Mortality, and the Middle Ages: Identification of Migrant Individuals in a 14th Century Black Death Cemetery Population. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 150(2): 210-222.
- Buckley, M., Melton, N. & Montgomery, J. (2013). Proteomics analysis of ancient food vessel stitching reveals >4,000 year old milk protein. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 27: 531-538.
- Beaumont, J., Geber, J., Powers, N., Wilson, A.S., Lee-Thorp, Julia & Montgomery, J. (2013). Victims and survivors: stable isotopes used to identify migrants from the Great Irish Famine to 19th Century London. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 150: 87-98.
- Brettell, R., Evans, J.A., Marzinzik, S., Lamb, A. & Montgomery, J. (2012). ‘Impious Easterners’ Can Oxygen and Strontium Isotopes Serve as Indicators of Provenance in Early Medieval European Cemetery Populations?. European Journal of Archaeology 15(1): 117-145.
- Evans, J.A., Chenery, C.A. & Montgomery, J. (2012). A summary of strontium and oxygen isotope variation in archaeological human tooth enamel excavated from Britain. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry 27(5): 754-764.
- Brettell, R., Montgomery, J. & Evans, J. (2012). Brewing and stewing: the effect of culturally mediated behaviour on the oxygen isotope composition of ingested fluids and the implications for human provenance studies. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry 27(5): 778-785.
- Towers, Jacqueline, Jay, Mandy, Mainland, Ingrid, Nehlich, Olaf & Montgomery, Janet (2011). A calf for all seasons? The potential of stable isotope analysis to investigate prehistoric husbandry practices. Journal of Archaeological Science 38(8): 1858-1868.
- Melton, N.D. & Montgomery, J. (2011). GRISTHORPE MAN Bronze Age burial Solving the riddle of this mysterious stranger, first discovered in 1834. Current Archaeology (250): 20-27.
- Mays, S., Ogden, A., Montgomery, J., Vincent, S., Battersby, W. & Taylor, G.M. (2011). New light on the personal identification of a skeleton of a member of Sir John Franklin's last expedition to the Arctic, 1845. Journal Of Archaeological Science 38(7): 1571-1582.
- Towers, J., Montgomery, J., Evans, J., Jay, M. & Pearson, M.P. (2010). An investigation of the origins of cattle and aurochs deposited in the Early Bronze Age barrows at Gayhurst and Irthlingborough. Journal Of Archaeological Science 37(3): 508-515.
- Montgomery, J., Evans, J.A. & Horstwood, M.S.A. (2010). Evidence for long-term averaging of strontium in bovine enamel using TIMS and LA-MC-ICP-MS strontium isotope intra-molar profiles. Environmental Archaeology 15(1): 32-42.
- Buckberry, J.L., Montgomery, J., Neale, N. & Towers, J. (2010). Finding Vikings in the Danelaw: An osteological and isotopic analysis of the Masham Anglo-Scandinavian cemetery. American Journal Of Physical Anthropology 74-74.
- Edwards, H.G.M., Montgomery, J., Melton, N.D., Hargreaves, M.D., Wilson, A.S. & Carter, E.A. (2010). Gristhorpe Man: a Raman spectroscopic study of 'mistletoe berries' in a Bronze Age log coffin burial. Journal Of Raman Spectroscopy 41(11): 1533-1536.
- Melton, Nigel, Montgomery, Janet, Knüsel, Christopher J., Batt, Cathy, Needham, Stuart, Pearson, Mike Parker, Sheridan, Alison, Heron, Carl, Horsley, Tim, Schmidt, Armin, Evans, Adrian, Carter, Elizabeth, Edwards, Howell, Hargreaves, Michael, Janaway, Rob, Lynnerup, Niels, Northover, Peter, O'Connor, Sonia, Ogden, Alan, Taylor, Timothy, Wastling, Vaughan & Wilson, Andrew (2010). Gristhorpe Man: an Early Bronze Age log-coffin burial scientifically defined. Antiquity 84(325): 796-815.
- Montgomery, J. (2010). Passports from the past: Investigating human dispersals using strontium isotope analysis of tooth enamel. Annals Of Human Biology 37(3): 325-346.
- Evans, J.A., Montgomery, J., Wildman, G. & Boulton, N. (2010). Spatial variations in biosphere 87Sr/86Sr in Britain. Journal Of The Geological Society 167(1): 1-4.
- Knusel, C.J., Batt, C.M., Cook, G., Montgomery, J., Muldner, G., Ogden, A.R., Palmer, C., Stern, B., Todd, J. & Wilson, A.S. (2010). The Identity of the St Bees Lady, Cumbria: An Osteobiographical Approach. Medieval Archaeology 54(1): 271-311.
- Montgomery, J., Evans, J. & Horstwood, M.S.A. (2009). Evidence for long-term averaging of Sr-87/Sr-86 in bovine enamel using TIMS and LA-MC-ICP-MS. Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 73(13, Supplement 1): A896-A896.
- Evans, J.A., Montgomery, J. & Wildman, G. (2009). Isotope domain mapping of Sr-87/Sr-86 biosphere variation on the Isle of Skye, Scotland. Journal of The Geological Society 166: 617-631.
- Evans, J.A., Montgomery, J. & Wildman, G. (2009). Isotope domain mapping of Sr-87/Sr-86 biosphere variation, UK. Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 73(13): A344-A344.
- Muldner, G., Montgomery, J., Cook, G., Ellam, R., Gledhill, A. & Lowe, C. (2009). Isotopes and individuals: diet and mobility among the medieval Bishops of Whithorn. Antiquity 83(322): 1119-1133.
- Nehlich, O., Montgomery, J., Evans, J., Schade-Lindig, S., Pichler, S.L., Richards, M.P. & Alt, K.W. (2009). Mobility or migration: a case study from the Neolithic settlement of Nieder-Mörlen (Hessen, Germany). Journal Of Archaeological Science 36(8): 1791-1799.
- Heier, A., Evans, J.A. & Montgomery, J. (2009). The potential of carbonized grain to preserve biogenic (SR)-S-87/(SR)-S-86 signatures within the burial environment. Archaeometry 51(2): 277-291.
- Horstwood, M.S.A., Evans, J.A. & Montgomery, J. (2008). Determination of Sr isotopes in calcium phosphates using laser ablation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry and their application to archaeological tooth enamel. Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 72(23): 5659-5674.
- Pellegrini, M., Donahue, R.E., Chenery, C., Evans, J., Lee-Thorp, J., Montgomery, J. & Mussi, M. (2008). Faunal migration in late-glacial central Italy: implications for human resource exploitation. Rapid Communications In Mass Spectrometry 22(11): 1714-1726.
- Richards, M.P., Montgomery, J., Nehlich, O. & Grimes, V. (2008). Isotopic analysis of humans and animals from Vedrovice. Anthropologie XLVI(2-3): 185-194.
- Montgomery, J., Evans, J.A. & Cooper, R.E. (2007). Resolving archaeological populations with Sr-isotope mixing models. Applied Geochemistry 22(7): 1502-1514.
- Montgomery, J., Evans, J.A. & Wildman, G. (2006). Sr-87/Sr-86 isotope composition of bottled British mineral waters for environmental and forensic purposes. Applied Geochemistry 21(10): 1626-1634.
- Montgomery, J., Evans, J., Powlesland, D. & Roberts, C.A. (2005). Continuity or colonization in Anglo-Saxon England? Isotope evidence for mobility, subsistence practice, and status at West Heslerton. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 126(2): 123-138.
- Pearson, M.P., Chamberlain, A., Craig, O., Marshall, P., Mulville, J., Smith, H., Chenery, C., Collins, M., Cook, G., Craig, G., Evans, J., Hiller, J., Montgomery, J., Schwenninger, J.L., Taylor, G. & Wess, T. (2005). Evidence for mummification in Bronze Age Britain. Antiquity 79(305): 529-546.
- Budd, P., Montgomery, J., Evans, J. & Trickett, M. (2004). Human lead exposure in England from approximately 5500 BP to the 16th century AD. Science of The Total Environment 318(1-3): 45-58.
- Trickett, M.A., Budd, P., Montgomery, J. & Evans, J. (2003). An assessment of solubility profiling as a decontamination procedure for the Sr-87/Sr-86 analysis of archaeological human skeletal tissue. Applied Geochemistry 18(5): 653-658.
- Montgomery, J., Evans, J.A. & Neighbour, T. (2003). Sr isotope evidence for population movement within the Hebridean Norse community of NW Scotland. Journal of The Geological Society 160(5): 649-653.
- Budd, P., Montgomery, J., Barreiro, B. & Thomas, R.G. (2000). Differential diagenesis of strontium in archaeological human dental tissues. Applied Geochemistry 15(5): 687-694.
- Budd, P., Montgomery, J., Evans, J. & Barreiro, B. (2000). Human tooth enamel as a record of the comparative lead exposure of prehistoric and modern people. Science of The Total Environment 263(1-3): 1-10.
- Montgomery, Janet, Budd, Paul & Evans, Jane (2000). Reconstructing the lifetime movements of ancient people: a Neolithic case study from southern England. European Journal of Archaeology 3(3): 370-385.
- Budd, P., Montgomery, J., Cox, A., Krause, P., Barreiro, B. & Thomas, R.G. (1998). The distribution of lead within ancient and modern human teeth: Implications for long-term and historical exposure monitoring. Science of The Total Environment 220(2-3): 121-136.
- Melton, N.D. & Montgomery, J. (2009). Combined isotope analyses of Early Neolithic individuals from a multiple burial cist at Sumburgh, Shetland. Archaeology Scotland.
- Montgomery, J., Beaumont, J., Jay, A., Keefe, K., Gledhill, A., Cook, G., Dockrill, Stephen J. & Melton, N.D. (2013). Strategic and sporadic marine consumption at the onset of the Neolithic: increasing temporal resolution in the isotope evidence. Antiquity 87(338): 1060-1072.
Full Executive Committee
Our Full Executive Committee is made up of the Core Executive Committee, listed above, plus a number of executive members including:
International Advisory Board
We are extremely fortunate to have be able to call on the help and guidance of colleagues from around the world who help to shape and guide our direction, strategy and international reach. Our current Advisory Board members are: