The list below shows Durham University research staff who are members of IMEMS. Click the member's name to see a more detailed biography and department.
We also welcome anyone from outside the University with an interest in our work to join. Membership is free of charge. You will receive invitations to our programme of events, with a weekly emails digest about what is happening in the Insitute and further afield. To join IMEMS contact: email@example.com
Publication details for Professor Geoffrey ScarreScarre, Geoffrey. (2003). Corporal punishment. Ethical theory & moral practice 6(3): 295-316.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1386-2820, 1572-8447
- DOI: 10.1023/A:1026072527441
- Keywords: Corporal punishment, cruelty, deterence, humiliation, 'inhuman or degrading treatment'
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
A study of moral arguments for and against the use of corporal punishment in a judicial content. It is argued that corporal punishment is not inevitably more cruel or demeanial than some conventionlly prefered punitive methods.