The list below shows Durham University research staff who are members of IMEMS. Click the member's name to see a more detailed biography and department.
We also welcome anyone from outside the University with an interest in our work to join. Membership is free of charge. You will receive invitations to our programme of events, with a weekly emails digest about what is happening in the Insitute and further afield. To join IMEMS contact: email@example.com
Dr Marcus Pound
I am an Senior Tutor and Associtae Professor of Contempoary Theoplogy. My interests are found at the intersection of theology and continental philosophy, in particular psychoanalysis in the tradition of Jacques Lacan. I currently teach an MA course: '20th Century Catholic Theologians' for the MA in Theology, pathway in Catholic Theology.
I have a number of current post-graduate research students working in areas including: ecumenism, negative hermeneutics, mental health services and faith communities, Leo Strauss, Methodist oversight, and I have supervised PhDs on ‘The Social Philosophy of Gillian Rose’, 'The Works of Mercy: Towards a liturgical politics of the everyday', 'The Theology of Work: Chenu and Cardijn', 'Negative Theology: Žižek and pseudo-Dionysius', 'Hegel and Millennarianism: toward a theology of liberation', 'Catholic Social Thought and the Red Tory', and 'Kierkegaard and the Ressourcement Movement'
- Andrew Brower-Latz
- Rabb Barbara Borts
- Josh Furnal
- Caroline Henthorne
- Benjamin Kautzer
- Patricia Kelly
- Thomas Lynch
- Marika Rose
Chapter in book
- Pound, M. (2019). Post-Secular Political Theology. In Wiley Blackwell Companion to Political Theology. Cavanaugh, William & Scott, Peter Wiley Blackwell.
- Pound, M (2018). Rose contra Girard: Kenotic Comedy and Social Theory (Or, Žižek as a Reader of Rose). In Misrecognitions: Gillian Rose and the Task of Political Theology. Davis, J. Eugene OR: Cascade Books.
- Pound, M. (2014). By the Grace of Lacan. In Theology After Lacan. Davis, C., Pound, M. & Crockett, C. Eugene, OR: WIPF. 232-249.
- Pound, M. (2014). Theology. In The Zizek Dictionary. Butler, R. Routledge. 246-249.
- Pound, Marcus (2012). Eucharist is Drive. In The Poverty of Radical Orthodoxy. Isherwood, L. & Zlomislic, M. Oregon: WIPF and Stock Publishers. 213-235.
- Pound, Marcus. (2012). Postmodern Philosophy. In Theology and Philosophy. Crisp, O., D'Costa, G., Davies, M. & Hampson, P. London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark. 186-201.
- Pound, Marcus (2011). Lacan’s Return to Freud: A Case of Theological Ressourcement?. In Ressourcement: A Movement for Renewal in Twentieth-Century Catholic Theology. Flynn, G. & Murray, P. Oxford University Press. 440-456.
- Pound, Marcus (2007). Lacan, Metaphysics, and Belief. In Belief and Metaphysics. Chandler (Jr), Peter & Cunningham, Conor SCM. 413-425.
- Davis, C., Pound, M. & Crockett, C. (2015). Theology After Lacan. Eugene OR: Wipf and Stock.
- Pound, Marcus (2016). Baudrillard, Žižek, and the Seduction of Christ. International Journal of Žižek Studies 10(1): 24-43.
- Pound, Marcus (2015). Political Theology and Comedy: Žižek through Rose Tinted Glasses. Crisis and Critique 2(1): 171-191.
- Pound, Marcus (2014). Žižek contra Hyman. Syndicate Theology
- Pound, Marcus (2010). Žižek, Milbank, and the Broken Middle. The International Journal of Žižek Studies 4(4).
- Pound, Marcus (2010). Comic Subjectivity: Žižek and Zupančič’s Spiritual Work of Art. International Journal of Žižek Studies 4(4).
- Pound, Marcus (2009). Lacan and Girard: Sex and Non-Violence. Psychoanalytische Perspectieven 26(3-4): 287-302.
- Pound, Marcus (2008). The Assumption of Desire: Kierkegaard, Lacan, and the Trauma of the Eucharist. Journal for Cultural and Religious Theory 9(1): 67-78.
- Pound, Marcus (2007). Eucharist and Trauma. New Blackfriars 88(1014): 187-194.
- Pound, Marcus (2005). Having a Good Time with Kierkegaard: McTaggart, Kierkegaard, and the Ethics of Time. Philosophical Writings 13-22.
- Pound, Marcus (2005). Kierkegaard, Lacan, and Repetition. Quodlibet 7(2).
- Pound, Marcus (2004). Indirect Analysis: Lacan, Kierkegaard, and Humour. The Letter (30): 100-110.
- Pound, Marcus (2003). Towards a Lacanian Theology of Religion. New Blackfriars 84(993): 510-520.
- Pound, Marcus (2008). Žižek: a (very) critical introduction. Michigan: Eerdmans.
- Pound, Marcus (2007). Theology, Psychoanalysis and Trauma. SCM: London.