The list below shows Durham University research staff who are members of IMEMS. Click the member's name to see a more detailed biography and department.
We also welcome anyone from outside the University with an interest in our work to join. Membership is free of charge. You will receive invitations to our programme of events, with a weekly emails digest about what is happening in the Insitute and further afield. To join IMEMS contact: email@example.com
Professor Paul Starkey, MA, DPhil Oxon
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Arabic literature
- Arabic/English translation
- Starkey, Paul G (2006). Modern Arabic Literature. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
Chapter in book
- Starkey, Paul G. (2006). Intertextuality and the Arabic literary tradition in Edwar al-Kharrat's 'Stones of Bobello'. In Intertextuality in modern Arabic literature since 1967. Deheuvels, Luc., Michalak-Pikulska, Barbara. & Starkey, Paul. Durham: Durham Modern Languages Series. 2: 149-159.
- Starkey, Paul G. (2003). Crisis and Memory in Rashid al-Daif’s Dear Mr Kawabata: An Essay in Narrative Disorder. In Crisis and Memory: The Representation of Space in Modern Levantine Narrative. Seigneurie, K. Wiesbaden: Reichert Verlag. 115-130.
- Starkey, Paul G. (2001). Fact and Fiction in al-Saq ala al-Saq. In Writing the Self: Autobiographical Writing in Modern Arabic Literature. De Moor, Ed, Ostie, Robin & Wild, Stefan Saqi Books.
- Starkey, Paul G. (2001). Islamic Egypt in the Modern Egyptian Novel. In The Historiography of Islamic Egypt (c.950-1800). Kennedy, Hugh. Leiden: Brill. 31: 251-262.
- Starkey, Paul G. (1998). Modern Egyptian Culture in the Arab World. In The Cambridge History of Egypt. II: Modern Egypt from 1517 to the End of the Twentieth Century. Daly, M. W. & Petry, Carl F. New York: Cambridge University Press. 463.
- Starkey, Paul G & El Kholy, Nadia (2002). Egypt Through the Eyes of Travellers. Cambridge: Astene.
- Starkey, Paul G. & Starkey, Janet (2001). Interpreting the Orient: Travellers in Egypt and the Near East: v. 2. Durham Middle East Monographs Series. Ithaca Press.
- Starkey, Paul G. & Starkey, Janet (2001). Unfolding the Orient: Travellers in Egypt and the Near East. Durham Middle East Monographs Series. Ithaca Press.
- Starkey, Paul G & Julie Scott Meisami (1998). Encyclopedia of Arabic Literature (Two Volumes). Routledge.
- Starkey, Paul G. & Starkey, Janet (1998). Travellers in Egypt. I B Tauris.
- Starkey, Paul. (2006). Special Issue: Identities Remembered, Discovered, Invented: hero and character in modern Arabic literature. Middle Eastern Literatures, 9 (2): Routledge.
- Starkey, Paul. (2006). 'Heroes' and Characters in the Novels of Sun'allah Ibrahim. Middle Eastern Literatures 9(2): 147-157.
- Starkey, Paul G. (1997). Some Aspects of the French Colonial Legacy in the Tunisian Novel of the 1960s and 1970s. Oriente Moderno XVI(2-3): 151-161.
- Starkey, Paul G (1987). From the Ivory Tower: Critical Study of Tawfiq Al-Hakim. Garnet Publishing.
Available for media contact about:
- Middle East: Arabic
- Foreign Literature & Language: Arabic language and literature