The list below shows Durham University research staff who are members of IMEMS. Click the member's name to see a more detailed biography and department.
We also welcome anyone from outside the University with an interest in our work to join. Membership is free of charge. You will receive invitations to our programme of events, with a weekly emails digest about what is happening in the Insitute and further afield. To join IMEMS contact: email@example.com
Prof Robin Frame
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Robin Frame has published widely on the history of Ireland, and of the British Isles generally, in the later medieval period. His present work concentrates on government and society in English Ireland in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries.
- Frame, Robin (2012). Colonial Ireland, 1169-1369. 2nd edition, Dublin: Four Courts.
- Frame R (1998). Ireland and Britain 1170-1450. London: Hambledon.
- Frame, R. (1990). The Political Development of the British Isles, 1100-1400. Oxford: OUP.
- Frame, R. (1982). English Lordship in Ireland, 1318-1361. Oxford: OUP.
Chapter in book
- Frame, R (2018). 'Contexts, divisions and unities: perspectives from the later Middle Ages'. In In Cambridge history of Ireland, I, 600−1550. Cambridge: University Press. 1: 523-550, 619-622.
- Frame, R (2018). 'Profits and perils of an Irish legal career: Sir Elias Ashbourne (d. 1356), chief justice and marcher lord'. In Law and Society in Later Medieval England and Ireland: essays in honour of Paul Brand. London, Routledge. 121-144.
- Frame, R (2016). ‘Rebellion and rehabilitation: the first earl of Desmond and the English scene’. In The Geraldines and medieval Ireland: the making of a myth. Crooks, P & Duffy, S Four Courts Press Ltd. 194-222.
- Frame, R. (2013). ‘A register of lost deeds concerning the earldom of Ulster, c.1230–1376’. In Princes, Prelates and Poets: Essays in Honour of Katharine Simms. Duffy, Seán Dublin: Four Courts. 85–106.
- Frame, R. (2013). ‘Ireland after 1169: barriers to acculturation on an “English” edge’. In Norman Expansion: Contrasts, Connections and Continuities. Stringer, K.J. & Jotischky, Andrew Farnham: Ashgate. 115-41.
- Frame, R. (2011). ‘Lordship beyond the Pale: Munster in the later Middle Ages’. In Medieval Art and Architecture in Limerick and South-West Ireland: British Archaeological Association Transactions. Stalley,Roger Leeds: Maley. 5–18.
- Frame, R. (2008). ‘Historians, aristocrats and Plantagenet Ireland, 1200–1360’. In War, Government and Aristocracy in the British Isles: Essays in Honour of Michael Prestwich. Given-Wilson,Chris, Kettle, Ann & Scales, Len Woodbridge: Boydell and Brewer. 131–47.
- Frame, R. F. (2007). Lordship and liberties in Ireland and Wales, c1170-c1360. In Power and Identity in the Later Middle Ages: Essays in Memory of Rees Davies. H. Pryce & J. Watts Oxford: Oxford University Press. 125-138.
- Robin Frame. (2006). The Wider World. In A Social History of England 1200-1500. Horrox, Rosemary. & Ormrod, W. Mark. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 435-453.
- Frame, R. F. (2005). Exporting state and nation: being English in medieval Ireland. In Power and the Nation in European History. Scales, L. & Zimmer, O. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 143-165.
- Frame, R. F. (2003). Kingdoms and dominions at peace and war. In The Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries. Ralph Griffiths Oxford: Oxford University Press. 149-180.
- Frame, R. F. (2001). Conquest and settlement. In The Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries: 1066-c.1280. Barbara Harvey Oxford: Oxford University Press. 31-66.
- Frame, R. (2000). 'Ireland'. In New Cambridge Medieval History, vi. The Fourteenth Century. Jones, Michael Cambridge: CUP. 375–87, 967–70.
- Frame, R. (1998). ‘Thomas Rokeby, sheriff of Yorkshire, the custodian of David II’. In The Battle of Neville’s Cross, 1346–1996. Rollason, David & Prestwich, Michael Stamford: Shaun Tyas. 50–56.
- Frame, R. (1996). ‘The defence of the English lordship, 1250–1450'. In A Military History of Ireland. Bartlett, Thomas & Jeffery, Keith Cambridge: CUP. 76–98, 468–70.
- Frame R. (1995). 'Two Kings in Leinster: The Crown and the Mic Mhurchadha in the Fourteenth Century'. In Colony and Frontier in Medieval Ireland: Essays presented to J.F. Lydon. Barry, T. B., Frame, Robin. & Simms, Katharine. London: Hambledon. 155–75.
- Frame, R. (2013). ‘Rediscovering medieval Ireland: Irish chancery rolls and the historian’. Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 113(Section C): 193–217.
- Frame, R. (2002). ‘English political culture in later medieval Ireland’. The History Review 13: 1–11.
- Frame R (1996). 'Thomas Rokeby, Sheriff of Yorkshire, Justiciar of Ireland'. Peritia 10 : 274-296.
- Frame, R. (1992). ‘Commissions of the Peace in Ireland, 1302–1461’. Analecta Hibernica 35: 1–43.