The list below shows Durham University research staff who are members of IMEMS. Click the member's name to see a more detailed biography and department.
We also welcome anyone from outside the University with an interest in our work to join. Membership is free of charge. You will receive invitations to our programme of events, with a weekly emails digest about what is happening in the Insitute and further afield. To join IMEMS contact: email@example.com
Professor Daniel Newman, PhD London
Indicators of Esteem
- 2014: Visiting Professor, UCLA (March-September):
- 2009: co-recipient of World Award of the President of the Republic of Tunisia for Islamic Studies:
- AHRC Peer Review College member (2009-2012):
- Member of Council, British Society for Middle Eastern Studies (2009-2012):
- Member of the Executive Committee of the University Council of Modern Languages (UCML) [2008-12]:
- Arabic diachronic linguistics
- Arabic geographical and travel literature (with special focus on Arab travellers to Europe)
- Erotology and sexuality in the mediaeval Muslim world
- History of Translation
- The Tunisian and Egyptian Nahda movements
Arabic-English Business&Technical Translation (MA in Arabic-English and Interpreting Translation)
Arabic-English Interpreting (MA in Arabic-English Translation and Interpreting)
Arabic-English Legal Translation (MA in Arabic-English Translation and Interpreting)
Contrastive Linguistics (MA in Arabic-English Translation and Interpreting)
Literature of the 19th Century Arabic 'Nahda' (Year 4)
- Arabic Literature (Year 2)
- Arabic-English General Translation Practica (MA in Arabic-English Translation and Interpreting)
- Arabic-English translation (Year 4)
- Specialised translation (Year 4)
- Translation Theory (Year 4)
- Newman, Daniel. (Forthcoming). Images and Representations: Tunisian Travellers to Europe in the 19th Century. Beit al-Hikma.
- Newman, Daniel. (Forthcoming). Rifa'a al-Tahtawi: A Nineteenth-Century Egyptian Educationalist and Reformer. Edinburgh University Press.
- Newman, Daniel & Husni, R. (2015). Arabic-English-Arabic Translation: Issues and Strategies. Routledge.
- Newman, Daniel. (2014). The Sultan's Sex Potions: Arab Aphrodisiacs in the Middle Ages. London: Saqi Books.
- Newman, D. & Husni, R. (2013). A to Z of Arabic-English-Arabic Translation. Saqi Books.
- Newman, Daniel (2011). An Imam In Paris: Al-Tahtawi's Visit To France 1826-1831. Rev. 2nd ed. Saqi.
- Newman, Daniel & Husni, R. (2008). Modern Arabic Short Stories: A Bilingual Reader - Twelve Stories by Contemporary Masters from Morocco to Iraq. London: Saqi Books.
- Newman, D (2007). Arabic-English Thematic Lexicon. London: Routledge.
- Newman, Daniel & Husni, R. (2007). Muslim Women in Law and Society: Annotated translation of al-Tahir al-Haddad’s Imra‘tuna fi ‘l-shari'a wa 'l-mujtama', with an introduction. London: Routledge.
- Newman, D. (2004). An Imam in Paris: Al-Tahtawi's Visit to France (1826-1831). London: Saqi Books.
- Newman, D & Van der Tuin, J (1993). Elsevier’s Dictionary of Ports and Shipping (English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, German). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Newman, Daniel (2016). Instrumental Studies in Arabic Phonetics. Phonetica 319: 79-82.
- Newman, Daniel (2016). The Love of Strangers: What Six Muslim Students Learned in Jane Austen’s London. Los Angeles Review of Books
- Newman, Daniel L. (2014). Taken for Wonder. Nineteenth-century Travel Accounts from Iran to Europe. Studies in Travel Writing 18(4): 401-403.
- Newman, Daniel (2008). Contemporary Iraqi Fiction. An Anthology. Banipal 33: 146-148.
- Newman, Daniel. (2007). A War of Words: Language and Conflict in the Middle East. Holy Land Studies 6(2): 220-222.
Chapter in book
- Newman, Daniel (2018). Arabic Travel Writing. In The Cambridge History of Travel Writing. Nandini, Das & Youngs, Tim Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 143-158.
- Newman, Daniel (2018). Wandering Nights: Shahrazād’s Mutations. In The Life of Texts: Evidence in Textual Production, Transmission and Reception. Caruso, Carlo London: Bloomsbury. 62-92.
- Newman, Daniel (2017). 'Hell for horses, paradise for women': power and identity in 19th-century North African Travel Literature. In Travel, Agency, and the Circulation of Knowledge. Mackenthun, Gesa, Nicolas, Andrea & Wodianka, Stephanie Waxmann. 183-200.
- Newman, Daniel L. (2015). Rifa'a al-Tahtawi. In Encyclopedia of Islam and The Muslim World. Martin, Richard C., Afsaruddin, Asma & Varisco, Daniel M. Macmillan. 1178-1179.
- Newman, Daniel L. (2015). Translation Activity and Academies, Pre-modern Period. In Encyclopedia of Islam and The Muslim World. Martin, Richard C., Afsaruddin, Asma & Varisco, Daniel M. Macmillan. 1171-1175.
- Newman, Daniel L. (2015). Translation Activity, Modern Period (19th c.). In Encyclopedia of Islam and The Muslim World. Martin, Richard C., Afsaruddin, Asma & Varisco, Daniel M. Macmillan. 1175-1183.
- Newman, Daniel. (2013). The Arabic Literary Language: the Nahda (and beyond). In The Oxford Handbook of Arabic Linguistics. Jonathan Owens Oxford University Press. 472-494.
- Newman, Daniel (2008). Myths and signs of alienation between 19th-century rihlat and Europe. In Sensibilities of the Islamic Mediterranean: Self expression in a Muslim Culture from post-classical times to the present day. Ostle, Robin London: I.B. Tauris. 85-102.
- Newman, Daniel. (2005). Contrastive Analysis of the Segments of French and Arabic. In Investigating Arabic: Current Parameters in Analysis and Learning. Elgibali, A. Leiden: Brill. 42: 185-206.
- Newman, Daniel. (2006), Arab Muslim Minorities in the European Union: The Integration Paradigm, in al-Baljali, Mahmud & Jaber, Adnan eds, 4: Ibn Zaydun: Islamic Arabic Civilization and the West. From Opposition to Partnership. Cordoba, Al-Babtain Foundation, Cordoba, 269-348.
- Newman, Daniel (2014). 2nd Annual International Conference Proceedings, Language, Literature & Linguistics (L32013), 17-18 June 2013, Singapore. 2nd Annual International Conference, Language Literature & Linguistics (L3 2013), Singapore, GSTF.
- Newman, Daniel (2012). Proceedings of the 1st Annual International Conference on Language, Literature & Linguistics (L3 2012). 1st Annual International Conference on Language, Literature & Linguistics (L3 2012), Singapore, Global Science and Technology Forum.
- Newman, D & Van Campenhoudt, M (1999). Maritime Terminology: Issues in Communication and Translation. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Maritime Terminology. Maritime Terminology: Issues in Communication and Translation. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Maritime Terminology, Brussels, Éditions du Hazard.
- Newman, Daniel (2011). 19th-century Arabic Periodicals in Europe: The politics of Exile and Reformism. Abgadiyat
- Newman, Daniel (2010). 19th-century Tunisian Travel Literature on Europe: Construction of Memory and the Other. Revue de l'Institut des Belles Lettres Arabes (IBLA) 73(206): 175-189.
- Newman, Daniel. (2009). Sulayman al-Hara’iri: an Early Tunisian Reformer. Cahiers de Tunisie LXII(207-208): 11-60.
- Newman, Daniel (2008). رحلة سليمان بن صيام إلى فرنسا (عام 1852 م.): صفحة منسية في تاريخ الجزائر. Chronos 17: 145-166.
- Newman, Daniel (2008). Ahmad Bey's journey to the land of the Fransis (1846). IBLA 71(201): 43-102.
- Newman, Daniel (2008). Egyptian Colloqual Arabic (Cairo). Edinburgh IPA archives
- Newman, Daniel & Husni, Ronak (2007). Cultural Translation in the Age of the Nahda. Turjuman 16(2): 63-87.
- Newman, Daniel (2007). The European Sources of the Aqwam al-Masalik fi Ma’rifat al-Mamalik. IBLA (198): 209-228.
- Newman, D & Verhoeven, J (2002). Frequency analysis of Arabic vowels in connected speech. Antwerp Papers in Linguistics 100: 77-86.
- Newman, D. (2002). Myths and Realities in Muslim Alterist Discourse: Arab Travellers in Europe in the Age of the Nahda (19th c.). Chronos 6: 7-76.
- Newman, D. (2002). The European Influence on Arabic during the Nahda Lexical Borrowing from European Languages (ta'rib) in 19th-Century Literature. Arabic Language and Literature 5(2): 1-32.
- Newman, D (2002). The phonetic status of Arabic within the worlds languages: the uniqueness of the lughat al-daad. Antwerp Papers in Linguistics 100: 65-75.
- Newman, Daniel. (2002). Tunisian diplomatic representation in Europe in the 19th century: the controversy surrounding the establishment of Tunisian consulates in Belgium (1865-1866). Les Cahiers de Tunisie 181: 27-46.
- Newman, D (2001). Arab travellers to Europe until the end of the 18th century and their accounts: historical overviews and themes. Chronos 4: 7-61.
- Newman, D (2001). Italy in Arabic travel literature until the end of the 19th century: cultural encounters and perceptions of the Other. Equivalences 29(1-2): 197-234.
- Newman, Daniel (trans.) (Forthcoming). Sensual Delights of the Heart: A Tale of Mediaeval Arab Erotica . Saqi Books
Available for media contact about:
- Foreign Literature & Language: Arabic Language and Literature
- Language, Literature & the Arts: Arab media
- Politics & Society: Alterist Discourse: the West and the Arab World
- Middle eastern and Islamic studies: Alterist Discourse: the West and the Arab World
- 2010: Leverhulme Research Fellowship (£44,507) for 12 months to conduct research on "Rifa'a al-Tahtawi and the Politics of Language".
- 2008: British Academy Overseas Conference grant
- 2007: British Academy research grant (£7,500) for fieldwork relating to pharyngealisation in the Arabic dialects of Egypt, Tunisia and Oman