The list below shows Durham University research staff who are members of IMEMS. Click the member's name to see a more detailed biography and department.
We also welcome anyone from outside the University with an interest in our work to join. Membership is free of charge. You will receive invitations to our programme of events, with a weekly emails digest about what is happening in the Insitute and further afield. To join IMEMS contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor John McKinnell
(email at email@example.com)
- Durham Medieval Drama Group
- Durham medieval texts
- Medieval acting style
- Old and Middle English poetry
- Old Norse literature (esp. mythological poetry)
- Records of early English drama
- McKinnell, J. (2005). Meeting the Other in Norse Myth and Legend. Woodbridge: D.S. Brewer.
- McKinnell, J., Simek, Rudolf. & Düwel, Klaus. (2004). Runes, Magic and Religion. A Sourcebook. Vienna: Fassbaender.
- McKinnell JS (1998). The Sequence of the Sacrament at Durham. University of Teeside.
- McKinnell JS & ME Ruggerini (1994). Both One and Many: Essays on Change and Variety in Late Norse Heathenism. Rome: Calamo.
Chapter in book
- McKinnell, J. (2003). 'Encounters with Völur.'. In Old Norse Myths, Literature and Society. Ross, Margaret Clunies. Odense: University Press of Southern Denmark. The Viking Collection Studies in Northern civilization 14: 110-131.
- McKinnell, J (2002). ‘Þorgerðr Hölgabrúðr and Hyndluljóð’. In Mythological Women. Studies in Memory of Lotte Motz. Rudolf Simek & Wilhelm Heizmann Wien: Studia Medievalia Septentrionalia 7: 265-290.
- McKinnell, J. (2001). 'Significant Gestures: Two Medieval Illustrations of Classical Theatre.'. In Porci ante Margaritam: Essays in honour of Meg Twycross. Carpenter, Sarah, King, Pamela & Meredith, Peter Leeds: University of Leeds, School of English. Leeds Studies in English, New Series 32: 289-320.
- John McKinnell (2001). Ögmundar þáttr: Versions, Structure and Ideology. In Sagnaheimur. Studies in Honour of Hermann Pálsson. Ásdís Egilsdóttir, & Rudolf Simek Vienna: Fassbaender. 6: 159-174.
- John McKinnell (2001). Eddic Poetry in Anglo-Scandinavian Northern England. In Vikings and the Danelaw. Select Papers from the Proceedings of the Thirteenth Viking Congress. James Graham-Campbell, Richard Hall, Judith Jesch, & David Parsons Oxford: Oxbow. 327-344.
- McKinnell, John., Ashurst, David. & Kick, Donata. (2006). The Fantastic in Old Norse / Icelandic Literature. Sagas and the British Isles. Preprint Papers of the 13th International Saga Conference, Durham and York, 6th-12th August, 2006. Durham: University of Durham, Centre for Medieval and Renaissance Studies.
- McKinnell, J. (2007). Wisdom from the dead the Ljóðatal section of Hávamál. Medium Ævum 76: 85-115.
- John McKinnell (2005). Hávamál B: A Poem of Sexual Intrigue. Saga-Book 29(2005): 83-114.
- McKinnell, J. (2001). ‘On Heiðr’. Saga-Book 25(4): 394-417.
- McKinnell JS (2000). Myth as Therapy: the Usefulness of Brymskvida. Medium Aevum 69(1): 1-20.
- McKinnell, J. (2000). The Medieval pageant waggons at York their orientation and height. Early theatre 3(1): 79-104.
- McKinnell JS (2000). The Medieval Pageant Wagons at York: their Orientation and Height. Early Theatre 3 : 79-104.
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- John McKinnell (production director), & David Williams (video director) (2004). Hick Scorner. (video of play)
- Henry Medwall (2001). Nature (ca. 1495). (video of a play)
Available for media contact about:
- English Literature & Drama: medieval & early renaissance drama
- English Literature & Drama: Mythology (especially Norse)
- English Literature & Drama: Viking studies (especially literature)
- English Literature & Drama: late medieval poetry
- 2013: Records of Early English Drama: The North East (£785055.00 from Arts and Humanities Research Council)