The list below shows Durham University research staff who are members of IMEMS. Click the member's name to see a more detailed biography and department.
We also welcome anyone from outside the University with an interest in our work to join. Membership is free of charge. You will receive invitations to our programme of events, with a weekly emails digest about what is happening in the Insitute and further afield. To join IMEMS contact: email@example.com
Prof Roy Gibson
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
A native of Belfast, I gained my BA (1987) and PhD (1993) in Classics at Sidney Sussex college, Cambridge, and - after a brief stint there as Junior Research Fellow and Director of Studies in Classics (1992-94) - I joined the Department of Classics & Ancient History at the University of Manchester in 1994, becoming Professor of Latin in 2004. On 1 September 2018 I joined the Dept. of Classics & Ancient History at Durham as Professor of Classics.
I am very happy to supervise PhDs in the following areas: Ovid, Roman love elegy, Augustan poetry, Pliny the Younger, Cicero's Ad Familiares, and Roman epistolography
As part of my AHRC Ancient Letter Collections project, I am happy to offer talks to schools on aspects of ancient letters and letter collections, includng Cicero and Pliny.
Indicators of Esteem
- Cicero, Ad Familiares
- Pliny the Younger
- PI and Co-director (with Andrew Morrison): AHRC Ancient Letter Collections project
- Gibson, Roy K. (2020). Man of High Empire: the Life of Pliny the Younger. Oxford University Press (New York).
Chapter in book
- Gibson, Roy K (2018). Pliny and Plutarch's Practical Ethics: a newly rediscovered dialogue. In Roman Literature under Nerva, Trajan and Hadrian. Koenig, A & Whitton, C.L. Cambridge University Press. 402-21.
- Gibson, Roy K. (2016). Fifty shades of orange: Cambridge Classical Texts and Commentaries. In The Classical Commentary: Explorations in a Scholarly Genre. Kraus, C.S. & Stray, C.A. Oxford University Press. 346-75.
- Gibson, Roy K (2015). Not dark yet. Reading to the end of Plinys nine book collection. In Pliny the Book Maker: Betting on Posterity in the Epistles. Marchesi, I Oxford University Press. 185 - 222.
- Gibson, Roy (2019). Pliny on the Nile: Panegyricus 29-32. MAIA 2019(71.2): 447-466.