The list below shows Durham University research staff who are members of IMEMS. Click the member's name to see a more detailed biography and department.
We also welcome anyone from outside the University with an interest in our work to join. Membership is free of charge. You will receive invitations to our programme of events, with a weekly emails digest about what is happening in the Insitute and further afield. To join IMEMS contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor Alexandra Cristea, FBCS, FHEA, SMIEEE
(email at email@example.com)
Alexandra I. Cristea is Professor, Head of the Innovative Computing research group at the Computer Science Department, Durham University. Her research includes user modelling and personalisation, web science, learning analytics, semantic web, social web, authoring, with over 250 papers on these subjects (over 3700 citations on Google Scholar, h-index 31). Especially, her work on frameworks for adaptive systems has influenced many researchers and is highly cited (with the top paper with over 180 citations and growing). She is within the top 50 researchers in the world in the area of educational computer-based research according to Microsoft Research. Prof. Cristea has been highly active and has an influential role in international research projects. She is experienced in running research projects and has led various projects - Newton funded workshop on Higher Education for All ('14-'18), Santander funded Education for disadvantaged pupils ('14-18'), Warwick-funded project APLIC ('11-;12), EU Minerva projects ALS (06-09) and EU Minerva ADAPT (’02-’05); as well as participated as university PI in several EU FP7 projects - BLOGFOREVER (’11-’13), GRAPPLE (’08- ’11), PROLEARN (’07) and as co-PI in the Warwick-funded Engaging Young People with Assistance Technologies (’13-’15) also featured by the BBC. She has been organizer of workshops, co-organizer, panelist and program committee member of various conferences in her research field (including, for example, UMAP, ED-MEDIA, Hypertext, Adaptive Hypermedia, ICCE, ICAI). She is a member of the editorial board of the IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, executive peer reviewer of the IEEE LTTF Education Technology and Society Journal and she was co-editor of the Advanced Technologies and Learning Journal. She acted as UNESCO expert for adaptive web-based education at a high-level (Ministry of Education and Educational institutes) meeting of East European countries, educational invited expert for the Romanian prime minister, as well as EU expert for H2020, FP7, FP6, eContentPlus. She is a BCS fellow, a HEA fellow, IEEE Senior Member and IEEE CS member, EATEL (European Association of Technology Enhanced Learning) founding member, ACM member.
IoC TechUP Project Application Site Open!
The application site for TechUP is here!
One hundred women across the north and midlands will have the chance to retrain in the digital sector thanks to a new online programme.
This is part of a wider IoC funding initiative. See also more information here. The Institute of Coding is organising an IoC conference to celebrate this new direction of research and work (see more information here).
Durham University, together with a group of 16 industry partners, has received over £500,000 from the Institute of Coding (IoC) to launch a new programme to retrain women in technology.
TechUP is led by Durham in partnership with Edge Hill, Nottingham and York universities and will run across the north and midlands of the UK. The programme is open to women with degrees in any subject.
- Adaptive, personalised web
- Applied AI
- Learner Analytics Data Analytics
- Semantic Web
- Social Web
- User Modelling
- Web Science
Chapter in book
- Zhou, Yiwei, Demidova, Elena & Cristea, A. I. (2017). What's new? Analysing language-specific Wikipedia entity contexts to support entity-centric news retrieval. In Transactions on Computational Collective Intelligence XXVI. Nguyen, N., Kowalczyk, R., Pinto, A. & Cardoso, J. Cham: Springer. 10190: 2010-231.
- Shi, Lei Cristea, A. I. & Hadzidedic, Suncica (2014). Multifaceted open social learner modelling. In Advances in Web-Based Learning – ICWL 2014, 13th International Conference, Tallinn, Estonia, August 14-17, 2014, Proceedings. Popescu. Elvira Lau, Rynson W. H. Pata, Kai Leung, Howard & Mart, Laanpere Cham: Springer. 8613: 32-42.
- Khan, J., Cristea, A. I. & Alamri, A. (2018), A large-scale category-based evaluation of a visual language for adaptive hypermedia, ACM International Conference Proceeding Series (ICPS) 3rd International Conference on Information and Education Innovations (ICIEI'18). London, Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 94-98.
- Alamri, A., Rusby, H., Cristea, A. I., Khan, J., Shi, L. & Stewart, C. (2018), An intuitive Authoring System for a Personalised, Social, Gamified, Visualisation-supporting e-learning System, ACM International Conference Proceeding Series (ICPS) 3rd International Conference on Information and Education Innovations (ICIEI'18). London, Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 57-61.
- Lei, S. & Cristea, A. I. (2018), In-depth Exploration of Engagement Patterns in MOOCs, in Hacid, Hakim, Cellary, Wojciech, Wang, Hua, Paik, Hye-Young & Zhou, Rui eds, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, volume 11234 Web Information Systems Engineering (WISE 2018). Dubai, Springer, Cham, 395-409.
- Tsakalidis, Adam, Aletras, Nikolaos, Cristea, A.I. & Liakata, Maria (2018), Nowcasting the Stance of Social Media Users in a Sudden Vote: The Case of the Greek Referendum, 2018 ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM’18). Torino, ACM, 367-376.
- Cristea, A. I., Alshehri, M., Alamri, A., Kayama, M., Foss, J., Shi, L. & Stewart, C. (2018), On the need for fine-grained analysis of Gender versus Commenting Behaviour in MOOCs, ACM International Conference Proceedings Series (ICPS) 3rd International Conference on Information and Education Innovations (ICIEI'18). London, Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 73-77.
- Yiwei Zhou & Cristea, A. I. (2017), Connecting targets to tweets semantic attention-based model for target-specific stance detection, in Bouguettaya, Athman Gao, Yunjun Klimenko, Andrey Chen, Lu Zhang, Xiangliang Dzerzhinskiy, Fedor Jia, Weijia Klimenko, Stanislav V. & Li, Qing eds, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 10569: Web Information Systems Engineering – WISE 2017, 18th International Conference. Moscow, Springer, Cham, 18-32.
- Alessandrini, Andrea, Cristea, Alexandra, Hartikainen, Markus, Isomäki, Hannakaisa & Tuhkala, Ari (2017), Identifying Objectives for a Learning Space Management System with Value-focused Thinking, in Escudeiro, Paula Costagliola, Gennaro Zvacek, Susan Uhomoibhi, James & McLaren, Bruce M. eds, 1: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Computer Supported Education. Porto, Portugal, SciTePress, 25-34.
- Tsakalidis, Adam Liakata, Maria Damoulas, Theodoros Jellinek, Brigitte Guo, Weisi & Cristea, A. I. (2016), Combining heterogeneous user generated data to sense well-being, in Matsumoto, Yuji & Prasad, Rashmi eds, COLING 2016. Osaka, The COLING 2016 Organizing Committee, 3007-3018.
- Cristea, A. I. & Shi, Lei (2016), Motivational gamification strategies rooted in self-determination theory for social adaptive E-Learning, in Micarelli, Alessandro, Stamper, John & Panourgia, Kitty eds, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 9684: Intelligent Tutoring Systems, 13th International Conference, ITS 2016. Zagreb, Springer, 294-300.
- Zhou, Yiwei Kanhabua, N. & Cristea, A. I. (2016), Real-time timeline summarisation for high-impact events in Twitter, in Kaminka, Gal A. Fox, Maria Bouquet, Paolo Hüllermeier, Eyke Dignum, Virginia Dignum, Frank & Harmelen, Frank van eds, Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications 285: ECAI 2016. The Hague, IOS Press, 1158-1166.
- Zhou, Yiwei & Cristea, A. I. (2016), Towards detection of influential sentences affecting reputation in Wikipedia, in Nejdl, Wolfgang eds, ACM Web Science Conference 2016. Hannover, ACM, New York, 244-248.
- Zhou, Yiwei Demidova, Elena & Cristea, A. I. (2016), Who likes me more? Analysing entity-centric language-specific bias in multilingual Wikipedia, 1: SAC 2016, 31st ACM Symposium on Applied Computing. Pisa, ACM, New York, 750-757.
- Lei Shi, Cristea, A. I., Awan, M. S. K. (Malik Shahzad K.), Hendrix, Maurice & Stewart, Craig (2013), Towards understanding learning behavior patterns in social adaptive personalized e-learning systems, 5: 19th Americas Conference on Information Systems. Chicago, AMCIS, 3678.
- Gkotsis, George Stepanyan, Karen Cristea, A. I. & Joy, Mike (2013), Zero-cost labelling with web feeds for weblog data extraction, 23rd International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2013). International World Wide Web Conferences Steering Committee, 73-74.
- Tsakalidis, Adam, Papadopoulos, Symeon, Voskaki, Rania, Ioannidou, Kyriaki, Boididou, Christina, Cristea, A.I., Liakata, Maria & Kompatsiaris, Yiannis (2018). Building and evaluating resources for sentiment analysis in the Greek language. Language Resources and Evaluation 52(4): 1021-1044.
- Gkiokas, Alexandros & Cristea, A. I. (2018). Cognitive agents and machine learning by example representation with conceptual graphs. Computational Intelligence 34(2): 603-634.
- Quaffas, A. A., Cristea, A. I. & Mead, M. A. (2018). Lightweight Adaptive E-Advertising Mode. Journal of Universal Computer Science 24(7): 935-974.
- Qaffas, Alaa A., Cristea, A.I. & Mead, Mohamed A. (2018). Lightweight adaptive E-Advertising Model. Journal of Universal Computer Science 24(7): 935-974.
- Suncica Hadzidedic Bazdarevic & Cristea, A. I. (2017). Do personalisation and emotions affect the use of cancer-related websites?. Online Information Review 41(1): 102-118.
- Shi, Lei & Cristea, A. I. (2016). Learners thrive when using multifaceted open social learner models. IEEE MultiMedia 23(1): 36-47.
- Hadzidedic Bazdarevic, S. & Cristea, A.I. (2015). How emotions stimulate people affected by cancer to use personalised health websites. Knowledge Management & E-learning: An International Journal 7(4): 658-676.
- Tsakalidis,Adam Papadopoulos, S. Cristea, A. I. & Kompatsiaris, Yiannis (2015). Predicting elections for multiple countries using Twitter and polls. IEEE Intelligent Systems 30(2): 10-17.
- Gkotsis, George Stepanyan, Karen Cristea, A. I. & Joy, Mike (2014). Entropy-based automated wrapper generation for weblog data extraction. World Wide Web 17(4): 827-846
- Cristea, A. I., Katsaros, Dimitrios & Manolopoulos, Yannis (2014). Introduction to the special issue of the journal World Wide Web: Social media preservation and applications. World Wide Web 17(4): 691-693.
- Ashman, Helen Brailsford, Tim Cristea, A. I., Sheng, Quan Z. Stewart, Craig Toms, Elaine G. & Wade, Vincent (2014). The ethical and social implications of personalization technologies for e-learning. Information & Management 51(6): 819-832.
Available for media contact about:
- Computer Science: Web Science
- Computer Science: Learner Analytics
- Education: Learner Analytics